Running shoe help/rant

Network_Apparition

Network_Apparition

Okay, so to start off, everyone knows what I mean by slip-on shoes, right? They're the kind that are made up of a rubber sole and a single piece of fabric that wraps around the top of the foot from the left side of the rubber sole to the right side. They have "tongues" that are just short slits cut into the singular piece of fabric and laces that can tighten the shoe just a little bit, but both  of these features are more aesthetic than functional. 

I tried to ask one of the employees at a local running shoe specialty store what the style of non-slip-on shoes were called. He. Had. No. Clue.

He tried to convince me that I was making it up and that "all shoes have tongues and laces, so its probably just the style of shoe that fits your taste".

No, the style of shoe that fits my taste is the kind that has strong separated pieces of fabric on the sides that are sown together with the long strip of fabric that makes up the actual tongue of the shoe, along with the piece of fabric that covers the toes. The kind that wont let my foot fall off the sides of the sole sometimes when I run on uneven ground. I wore them for years before slip-ons became the new standard, and I don't know what their specific style is called because they were always just labeled as "running shoes"!!!

Someone suggested "tennis shoes" or "sneakers", but even those searches return results that are slip-ons!

Somebody please help if you know anywhere that still sells these kinds of shoes!

TLDR: please help me find a running shoe that is not a slip on, my feet are falling off the sides of the soles.

Network_Apparition

Yes to both of your questions!

I wear the standard Adidas Boost right now, and I have problems with the lack of siding in them, because its all one piece of fabric and they can't be tightened, like you said. I hate it when my foot falls outside the soles because my city is on a fault line and has terrible road/ side walk/ pathway maintenance, so it constantly feels like I'm going to break my ankles when I misstep in them.

I'll look into the Pure Boost and the Kayano's. Thanks for the recommendations!

All styles of Hoka One One shoes are basically what you are describing and can be tightened quite a bit. I've run 100s of miles in them and they've always worked great for me! Idk where you live, but at least in the US, Running Warehouse is a great place to buy running shoes (especially Hokas) online. They've got great sales and return policies. 

What type of running do you do mostly? I haven't seen many other runners here on AVEN, it's great to find a fellow sole (see what I did there lol). 

Network_Apparition

Eeeey! Nice pun! And thanks for your suggestion too! I've never heard of Hokas before, but I've heard good things about Running Warehouse so maybe its time to place an oder with them?

I mostly train for 5k's and occasionally complete 800m runs for old time's sake. How about yall?

Hokas are kinda niche shoe, and they're known for having a lot of cushion, but they have a good variety.

Nice! I'm in college so I do cross country and distance track (1500 and up mostly) for the team. 

Network_Apparition

Running Warehouse has a lot of tongued shoes! I'm so relieved! 
I'm saving money up right now, but I'm excited to get some Real Shoes™️ again!

Ah! I used to run 1500m in high school! Never did sub 5 minutes though... but 800m and 4x800m were my jam! 

Archived