Dropping out

Photon

Hello y'all, this topic is kinda depressing but oh well,

is anyone here a uni/college drop out??

I'm in my second year (just started) and I don't want to drop out but I dont rlly enjoy this program..

I don't know what'd I do if I did either though, can't really get a job can I? 

Sincerely,

a concerned student who doesn't want to waste time or money lol

48 minutes ago, Photon said:

I'm in my second year (just started) and I don't want to drop out but I dont rlly enjoy this program..

Sincerely,

If your uni has an advisor you can talk to them about how you are feeling and see what ideas they have.

What program are you in? :) 

You can start by thinking of why you want to drop out (even if you really don't want to ) and what solutions to that can spring from there.

Depending on your situation you could even take a semester off to figure things out. This is what my friend did.

I dropped out of uni when I was 20 and in the second year of my course. I came to realise that I hated my subject (English lit), it didn't offer me any viable future perspectives and plus I was dealing with some personal issues that made it pretty much impossible for me to continue. This was almost 6 years ago now and I eventually chose to do a different course at a different uni, but I also know plenty of people who went on to do an apprenticeship after uni.

Deciding to drop out of a course is always a tough decision, especially when you've already completed a fair bit of it, but I've never felt any regrets about it. I also don't consider it a complete waste of time as it was still a learning experience for me. I didn't have to pay tuition for the course I dropped out of but I imagine it's a much more complex situation if money is involved as well.

I would also recommend that you talk to an advisor at uni as they can show you what options you have, and that you start thinking what it is about your programme you don't like: is it just the programme and the way it is taught, or the subject altogether? Or can't you see yourself being at uni at all and would rather do something else?

Talking to an advisor or counsellor (my university provided that though I, regrettably, never took advantage of that) is probably one of the best courses to take. The highlighted two questions are very important to address or try to figure out imo:

42 minutes ago, fairyofsuburbia said:

I would also recommend that you talk to an advisor at uni as they can show you what options you have, and that you start thinking what it is about your programme you don't like: is it just the programme and the way it is taught, or the subject altogether? Or can't you see yourself being at uni at all and would rather do something else?

Hope you can find out what option feels right (or better) to you😊

2 hours ago, Photon said:

I dropped out in second year because I didn't enjoy the programme. Took a year to work and figure things out. Parents were very worried (It's an Indian thing, besides I had always been an outstanding student, and was studying the sciences), signed up for a correspondence course in anthropology after that. 

1 hour ago, GingerRose said:

If your uni has an advisor you can talk to them about how you are feeling and see what ideas they have.

What program are you in? :) 

You can start by thinking of why you want to drop out (even if you really don't want to ) and what solutions to that can spring from there.

Depending on your situation you could even take a semester off to figure things out. This is what my friend did.

Sadly, the advisors at my school are known to not be very helpful.. but I might still ask them.

I'm studying IT rn and it's a lot of info not as much technology.

Yeah, I definitely need time to think things through

Thanks for the advice :)

1 hour ago, fairyofsuburbia said:

I dropped out of uni when I was 20 and in the second year of my course. I came to realise that I hated my subject (English lit), it didn't offer me any viable future perspectives and plus I was dealing with some personal issues that made it pretty much impossible for me to continue. This was almost 6 years ago now and I eventually chose to do a different course at a different uni, but I also know plenty of people who went on to do an apprenticeship after uni.

Deciding to drop out of a course is always a tough decision, especially when you've already completed a fair bit of it, but I've never felt any regrets about it. I also don't consider it a complete waste of time as it was still a learning experience for me. I didn't have to pay tuition for the course I dropped out of but I imagine it's a much more complex situation if money is involved as well.

I am glad to hear that you don't have any regrets, it's comforting. I'm definitely terrified but I know there are a lot of people who drop out.

Yeah, I hope to drop out before the refund date but it's soon so I have to figure out what to do with the loans and such.

Thanks for your comment I will have to do some reflecting :)

12 minutes ago, HinaSid said:

I dropped out in second year because I didn't enjoy the programme. Took a year to work and figure things out. Parents were very worried (It's an Indian thing, besides I had always been an outstanding student, and was studying the sciences), signed up for a correspondence course in anthropology after that. 

Yeah I can kind of relate, I've always done well so I took all sciences, but that doesn't mean I actually retained any of the things I was taught. 

It seems like a waste of good grades but grades don't rlly mean much sometimes..

I'm thinking of an arts course too, it seems most people are attracted to them (understandably)

Just now, Photon said:

Yeah I can kind of relate, I've always done well so I took all sciences, but that doesn't mean I actually retained any of the things I was taught. 

It seems like a waste of good grades but grades don't rlly mean much sometimes..

I'm thinking of an arts course too, it seems most people are attracted to them (understandably)

Do you need to take up a course immediately?

I didn't technically drop out, but I stopped taking classes at the end of my freshman year. I was planning on going back in the fall, but all of the mixed emotions I was feeling about the program I was in caught up to me, and I started feeling jaded about college as a whole. Just looking at the course requirements exhausts me. :(

I do want to go back, though. I keep thinking and thinking about it, so I don't think I'm done. I think I just needed a break.

I wouldn't call myself a dropout but rather someone who discovered and decided I made a wrong choice and changed direction. It doesn't need to be a black and white thing (university versus university 'drop out'-work). Also, trying something and finding out it's not your thing is a very positive thing. It helps you understand yourself and more about the choices you make and it can help you make better choices in the future if that's how you choose to use it. It also says something about what you like and don't seem to like (anymore) and it helps you prevent future 'mistakes'. It's all a matter of perspective in my view, but it can feel a negative place to be if you're in the middle of it all, the uncertainty etc... A good idea is not to rush into the next thing (and out of this thing, burning bridges) but to go with it for the time being and to explore and expand your ideas and what to do next.

Sadly, the advisors at my school are known to not be very helpful.. but I might still ask them.

I'm studying IT rn and it's a lot of info not as much technology.

Yeah, I definitely need time to think things through

Thanks for the advice :)

I would take the risk, talk to multiple advisors, don't back down, and show them you are here to get help and if they don't know~ have them reach out to someone who does know.

Ya, that is usually how the first two years are depending on if you are getting an associates or bachelor's degree. If it's a bachelor's degree, you usually get more into the specifics of the program in the third year. 

7 hours ago, Photon said:

Sincerely,

I haven't been in college since 2014, I stopped going for a various amount of reasons. Dropping out might not look good to some people, but their opinions aren't what matter at the end of the day. There are some careers that don't demand as much in regards to degrees & some jobs that pay well while not listing requirements for a degree, the most important thing you ought to do is figure out what you wanna do. Some people get part-time/full-time jobs in different places & some do freelance work, just give it some thought. I also just remembered that you could look into picking up a trade as well. ^^

Then again, dropping out might not be your only option. Some people take time off from college to figure out what degree they wish to pursue rather than ditching their studies for good. If you were to take a semester off or a year or whatever, that'd give you time to mentally recharge & look into what major(s)/program(s) you'd want to study. Just remember not to be so hard on yourself & to go at your own pace, college isn't for everybody & there are options & paths outside of it.

I didn't actually drop out of my first subject at university but I changed it after many years and after a lot of suffering. I studied Physics for two and a half years and I had more than 60 credit point already but I came to the conclusion that I was at a dead end. I handled my math classes increasingly better but I failed at theoretical physics and the practicals. I just couldn't do it anymore. I didn't even know why I decided to study it in the first place. I took a semester off to think about this. After I contemplated my motivation for the subject I came to the conclusion that it wasn't my motivation. I studied it because after school I didn't know what to study so I studied my best subject. I kept studying it because I wanted to finish what my uncle started before he died. After I recognized that there was nothing that held me there and I changed the subject to something that I had no experience with. Last year, I got my bachelor degree in agriculture with good average grade.Today I'm studying crop science with focus on ecology and resource conservation for a master degree and I'm far more happy with it.

I don't regret that I studied Physics. It taught me valuable lessons. My math skill is beyond what is expected and often get complimented about them by my profs. I'm a wolf that saw a lot of snow in that regard. There is nothing that can shock me anymore. It also taught something far more important: failure. I got smoothly through school and never had to deal with this kind of failure.

My advise to you is based upon my own experience. Take whatever you find useful.

You should ask yourself "Why I am studying this?". If your answer is "What the hell was I thinking when I started it?" or if don't find an answer at all you are probably studying the wrong subject. You have basically have three options now:

1. Keep on studying with your current subject. Which is not recommendable if you have more than one or two semesters left. It is true that first two semesters are the hardest. After that it may get better. But you still need to pass the exams sooner or later.

2. Change your subject. Make sure that you don't exclude anything at first and don't get scared by unknown subjects. Choose something that really interests you or that you are curious about. This almost sounds like a cliche but it really comes down to that. No one can make that decision for you and no one can tell you how know what interests you. Maybe you can find some statistics about the drop-out-rate or about the average grades. Advisors may be needed to handle the bureaucracy of changing the subject. Depending on your uni and on your country this my be more or less complicated. If you are sure you want to change the subject get a printout or an official pdf-file with your grades that you were able to get in your current subject. You may be able to skip some modules in your new subject if there are related modules and courses.

3. Start an apprenticeship, a job or your own business. I can't say anything about this option because I didn't choose it.

Anyway, know that many have taken same path as you. It is not the end of the world even if it seems so at the moment.

On 9/15/2020 at 11:21 AM, HinaSid said:

Do you need to take up a course immediately?

yeah i have to choose by wednesday to add/drop courses. 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:33 AM, Leedle-Lee said:

I do want to go back, though. I keep thinking and thinking about it, so I don't think I'm done. I think I just needed a break.

Looking at the years i have to spend is kinda tiring too. What do you do now if i may ask ?

On 9/15/2020 at 4:46 PM, Windspiel said:

Anyway, know that many have taken same path as you. It is not the end of the world even if it seems so at the moment.

Thanks for helping, your story was also comforting. I think we are similar positions here. Math is also one of my top subjects and I’d kind of miss it but I don’t like any subjects that come attached to it. Also, how did you decide do go into/liked agriculture ?

Am a college dropout.

I listened to the many voices stating I should be a cartoonist or 3D graphics artist due to me being an artist in my free time. 

Within a month, I knew that my passion for art would never die but doing it as a 9 to 5 would ruin one of the things that bring me most joy in life. Plus the money was hard to come by in the field after doing a lot of research. 

So I dropped out. It was just a month in, so no finances were committed as I obtained a full refund. 

That brings me to my point. How long until you finish? My logic being say you have a year to go. You have already gone through that much pain and torture. Might as well get something for it. My pain was only a month. I didn't lose nor get anything from it. 

What I did realize  was I needed to go to school for my skillet. Not my talent. 

My skillset was business. 

I saved my pennies, and went to college for business instead. I was surrounded by people with entrepreneurial spirits and just felt right at home. 

The irony, is that the switch was my best business decision to date. It gave me better opportunities and a much higher salary I ever would have gotten if a starving artist (which most in the field I initially was in were).

7 hours ago, Photon said:

Looking at the years i have to spend is kinda tiring too. What do you do now if i may ask ?

I manage a bakery. :) I'm thinking about asking my GM about the assistant manager position, because we're supposed to have one and we don't, so...

I think I want to do something in design, though. That's why I plan on going back at some point.

I dropped out of uni at the start of my second year. I realised I'd lose the passion for the subject (art related) and all of the pressure started affecting my mental health pretty badly. I was depressed, hallucinating and developed an eating disorder that I still struggle with today after eight years. If it gets to a point where your health is at risk, it's time to bail. 😰
I've just managed to get back into art recently though. 💜

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

The irony, is that the switch was my best business decision to date. It gave me better opportunities and a much higher salary I ever would have gotten if a starving artist (which most in the field I initially was in were).

Damn, you rlly switched up on that one.

And sadly I would still have 3-4 years in this program so I have to leave now

2 hours ago, Leedle-Lee said:

I manage a bakery. :) I'm thinking about asking my GM about the assistant manager position, because we're supposed to have one and we don't, so...

I think I want to do something in design, though. That's why I plan on going back at some point.

Oh artsy I see. Working in a bakery sounds fun! 

Design would be cool too, you should definitely go for it!

1 hour ago, Raindrops said:

I dropped out of uni at the start of my second year. I realised I'd lose the passion for the subject (art related) and all of the pressure started affecting my mental health pretty badly. I was depressed, hallucinating and developed an eating disorder that I still struggle with today after eight years. If it gets to a point where your health is at risk, it's time to bail. 😰
I've just managed to get back into art recently though. 💜

I'm so sorry to hear that, I hope you're doing better now!

But yeah I find that school can be so stressful and idk who but it seems like someone's always putting you under pressure.

I'm glad to hear you're back into it! Art is so important for ppl I think. 

On 9/15/2020 at 1:44 PM, Photon said:

Sincerely,

Having a degree does nor necessarily mean you'll get a job and so dropping out may not make any difference. But, please talk to the college and any student support groups before you do anything. 

Most people dislike some part of their course. I had a few shit modules I had to study in my course.

Also think about switching to another course if you are able.

I dropped out. I lost interest in half my course modules (maths, mainly) somewhere during the first year, so aced the modules I did like, failed the ones I didn't, and just scraped a pass by about half a percent. I could have gone back for a second year but it wouldn't have worked.

I got a shop in a computer shop that summer, planned to take a year out whilst I worked things out but just never went back. I then took some technical trade qualifications and used that to get a better job, and worked my way to better things from there.

I then "dropped out" of that too and took some time off to work out what I wanted to do. About 10 years ago needing money I took another job and I drifted into the field I did my degree in, got quite a bit of recognition for being good at it, and ended up moving to another company and then into management.

It worked out well in the end, but if I did it all again I'd continue the degree but swap to another course.

Damn, you rlly switched up on that one.

And sadly I would still have 3-4 years in this program so I have to leave now

Yeah, 3 to 4 years is a stretch that will feel like an eternity especially if you know for sure now. 

It wasn't a stretch to me. All my relatives just about, are entrepreneurs. 

Business runs in my blood line. Most of us have great business ideas in mind, but fear of failure stops most from  taking such risks. IE someone telling you your chicken recipe is to die for. If its your own. Copyright o_o

For me, I looked at career opportunities in cartooning. I know one person who got lucky, and works for Disney. I am making a fraction of my salary in cartooning and graphic design, guaranteed. 

I also know a handful of graphic artists. Just graphic art on its own, and you will likely be broke. 

Those who lived well, diversified. IE signage, neon signs for doors etc etc. 

Heck, computer store side business, or alternative investments to avoid making the median salary which isn't good in many markets. 

It just wasn't for me.

You have a huge head start in life, in being self aware enough to know a course is not fit. Knowing the job prospects in it, means you're also highly in tune with the job market. 

I hate the notion of telling kids to stay in school, but not teaching them the business side of picking a career.

"Make sure its something fun!"

Uh...no. make sure its something you won't want to jump out a window doing, but that gives you the best possible means to get a good job and good pay. Ideally something you have an interest in. 

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

"Make sure its something fun!"

Uh...no. make sure its something you won't want to jump out a window doing, but that gives you the best possible means to get a good job and good pay. Ideally something you have an interest in. 

Yeah I find finding a job also has to do with luck sometimes so it’s difficult. and true i think they should really teach more about career/salary possibilities and where to get jobs after. Hopefully what I choose does not make me want to jump out a window lol

I graduated from my university program, but good god do I regret those wasted years. I had fun, but my degree was virtually worthless and I didn't even realize it at the time. From my perspective, I think people should only be going in university if they know what they want to do and you have a clear goal and motivation to reach that goal. In my opinion, you should save your money for a later time when you're ready. If I had the financial ability, I'd go back to college now at 30, willingly and happily, because I have such a better idea of what I would pursue now than I did when I was fresh out of high school. 

It's also not impossible to get a good job without a degree. My college roommate dropped out in our 2nd year and he now works at a video game company and has a much better job than I do. Like someone said above, but you do need to be prepared with starting out at the most entry of levels. Solid work experience is worth its weight in gold, though! 

Archived