Master Independent Thread

Alaska Native Manitou

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Alaska Native Manitou
  • 6 months later...
Alaska Native Manitou

Cornel West is the 2024 presidential candidate of the People's Party.  I expect corporate media to start trying to bury him; & the Democratic Party to scapegoat him for any losses from now on.

6 hours ago, Alaska Native Manitou said:

Cornel West is the 2024 presidential candidate of the People's Party.  I expect corporate media to start trying to bury him; & the Democratic Party to scapegoat him for any losses from now on.

He won't be scapegoated because you have to win primaries to get nominated, and you have to be nominated to lose, and you have to lose to be scapegoated.  He's not going to win any primaries.      

AspieAlly613
47 minutes ago, Sally said:

He won't be scapegoated because you have to win primaries to get nominated, and you have to be nominated to lose, and you have to lose to be scapegoated.  He's not going to win any primaries.      

He seems to be running as a third-party candidate.  Not sure if the People's party has primaries, but if they do, he may win them...and then get 1% or 2% of the vote.

Olallieberry

He’s already buried, nobody has to “start trying” anything.

If William Barber of the Peoples' Party ran, I'd be happy.  He wouldn't get anywhere, but he'd be a much "purer" candidate than West, who's a showboat.

Alaska Native Manitou

West has now switched to the Green Party.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Alaska Native Manitou said:

West has now switched to the Green Party.

I wonder if that could mean that Barber would run for the Peoples' Party.  That would be great.

• 1 month later...
Alaska Native Manitou

There's a movement called "No Labels" in the news lately. They say that they're not a political party, yet are registering as such in various states. They say that they have no particular bias, but the people involved seem to be center-right. They're trying to gain publicity, without saying what they actually stand for, or how much 💵 they've raised. Any thoughts?

• Like 1
Olallieberry

Center-right? My impression was center-left, but I guess that is center-right from a certain point of view. It's also kind of a snub against recognizing that both sides are not equally extreme or culpable in the bad-faith politics of the Obama-and-beyond era.

They in fact are saying what they stand for, and it's "stopping the polarization and just working together like we used to." It's basically a pledge to not engage in the absolutism which prevents government from working.

As such, no particular policy platform is attached to that, which I think is going to be a pretty hard sell.

Rockblossom
1 hour ago, Ollie415 said:

just working together like we used to

Really?  When was that?   The Constitution was ratified in 1789 and the first federal election was held, with G. Washington voted in as President with a unanimous vote.  As far as I can tell, that was the first and last time the sides "worked together" for anything.  Just 15 years later, the sides were so bitter that Aaron Burr and Alexander  Hamilton actually resorted to "pistols at dawn" to resolve their differences, and Hamilton died.  

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/history-resources/spotlight-primary-source/duel-alexander-hamilton-and-aaron-burr-1804

It would be nice to say that things at least got more verbal and less lethal after that,  but the Civil war proved otherwise.  Since then, about the only thing that brought people (temporarily)  together was being attacked from the outside - like Pearl Harbor and 9/11 - and only until the outside threat was taken care of.  Even during those times there was bitter controversy on domestic issues.    Before 24hr TV, internet, and social media, it was easier to ignore the day-to-day doings of Congress and the White House, which may have made it seem like there was more "working together" than was actually happening, especially when news reports glossed over the details.  

The one thing I notice about all of the Independent/Third Party/Let's-All-Come-Together-and -Sing-Kumbaya groups:  They all have a lot of nice-sounding stuff on their websites about civility and unity, and a "DONATE" button somewhere on almost every page.   I really dislike both major parties, but I am too experienced (or too cynical) to think any of these groups are the answer.

What do I want to see instead?

1.  A Constitutional amendment to do away with the Electoral College and the Presidential election decided by popular vote.

2. Ranked choice voting. 

• Like 2
Olallieberry
27 minutes ago, Rockblossom said:

Really?  When was that? 

I don't see how anyone can seriously offer the notion that today is not worse than 10 years ago, or 20, or 30, or at any point in the lifetimes of anyone living. The only thing which I think comes close is 1950s McCarthyism, and even that was temporary, a single-issue matter, and didn't completely disrupt all Congressional and Executive activities.