New Asexuality Book This Month

auntjessie

Has anyone heard about this new book about asexuality coming out this month? It's by journalist Angela Chen and it's called ACE: WHAT ASEXUALITY REVEALS ABOUT DESIRES, SOCIETY, AND THE MEANING OF SEX. I pre-ordered it and am excited to get it. It's the first book about asexuality to be published - I think - since 2015 or so???

41oXSB+ET1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Curious to see if anyone else has heard about it and if so, what are you hoping this book has that other asexuality books might not have?

I hadn't heard about it, but that is really exciting😃.  I would definately be interested in reading it.  I might suggest that my local library orders a copy.

It's not on sale until September 15th, hence the lack of reviews 

I would love to get the chance to read this book, I'd be happy to have more books on asexuality in my collection.
Do you have any other recommendations for books on asexuality ?

Janus the Fox

An asexuality book of informative literature, its the first in 5 years.  Though coming from a Journalist and the titel like that, can be assumed it's more opinion rather than factual.  Still in time when people are able to read it, anybody can give it a Review or Muse about it in time. :cake:

The publication date has been in my diary for a couple of months 😊

I read an interview with the author a while back and it sounded like a book I could relate to. Looking forward to it!

1 hour ago, auntjessie said:

Has anyone heard about this new book about asexuality coming out this month? It's by journalist Angela Chen and it's called ACE: WHAT ASEXUALITY REVEALS ABOUT DESIRES, SOCIETY, AND THE MEANING OF SEX. I pre-ordered it and am excited to get it. It's the first book about asexuality to be published - I think - since 2015 or so???

41oXSB+ET1L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Curious to see if anyone else has heard about it and if so, what are you hoping this book has that other asexuality books might not have?

Ooo...

I preordered this from Amazon back at the beginning of July. (Gosh, that feels a long time ago!). I’d almost forgotten, until saw this thread.

I'm on the wait list to get a copy of the ebook from my library! I can't wait to see if it's any good!

everywhere and nowhere
1 hour ago, Kelstar29 said:

I'm on the wait list to get a copy of the ebook from my library! I can't wait to see if it's any good!

Are you in an e-library? If so, could you recommend it? I greatly support e-libraries because, at least in principle, they allow access for people from all around the world. And foreign literature which doesn't fall into the categories of either "classics" or "bestsellers" is not available in libraries here.

As for e-libraries, so far I only know The Internet Archive, but they mostly have older books. I have anyway installed Adobe Digital Editions, the program used for managing e-borrowing, have borrowed a book from them and I want to borrow some more when I read the ones in my queue.  ;) But there are also many English-language books I'm looking for and they don't have them...

10 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Are you in an e-library? If so, could you recommend it? I greatly support e-libraries because, at least in principle, they allow access for people from all around the world. And foreign literature which doesn't fall into the categories of either "classics" or "bestsellers" is not available in libraries here.

As for e-libraries, so far I only know The Internet Archive, but they mostly have older books. I have anyway installed Adobe Digital Editions, the program used for managing e-borrowing, have borrowed a book from them and I want to borrow some more when I read the ones in my queue.  ;) But there are also many English-language books I'm looking for and they don't have them...

Oh no, I'm sorry! I don't think my answer will help you very much...

My local library uses the app Libby (by OverDrive) and that's how I get all my ebooks and audiobooks. I think a lot of libraries are starting to utilize online resources more now, so maybe (hopefully) your library has something like this too?

everywhere and nowhere
1 minute ago, Kelstar29 said:

My local library uses the app Libby (by OverDrive)

Is it even available in any way for people who don't have smartphones and only read e-books on their computers?

3 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Is it even available in any way for people who don't have smartphones and only read e-books on their computers?

Libby has an app for your computer as well! But I think you need to have a library card and your library needs to subscribe / use Libby.

everywhere and nowhere
5 minutes ago, Kelstar29 said:

Libby has an app for your computer as well! But I think you need to have a library card and your library needs to subscribe / use Libby.

I have checked out a little and it looks very promising. I'm just not sure if Ursynoteka (our local library network) knows about Libby in the first place. I wish it was possible to formally sign up for electronic-only use at a library at a place where you don't live and possibly have even never been, and this way gain access to borrowing new foreign literature.

1 hour ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I have checked out a little and it looks very promising. I'm just not sure if Ursynoteka (our local library network) knows about Libby in the first place. I wish it was possible to formally sign up for electronic-only use at a library at a place where you don't live and possibly have even never been, and this way gain access to borrowing new foreign literature.

Oof, I looked up the website for your library, and it seems like they don't offer much in the way of online resources... (at least from what I read with the help of google translate 😅) But I hope you can find other ways to get more foreign literature! Maybe you could look for a subscription service like Audible or something? Good luck with your book hunting!! 😃

Btw - As far as I know, public libraries in the US are partly funded by local taxes, so they really only provide services aimed at those taxpayers. But it would be nice if we could join other library networks via a donation or something!

everywhere and nowhere
2 hours ago, Kelstar29 said:

Maybe you could look for a subscription service like Audible or something?

Oh no no no, no audiobooks. ;) I hate listening to books. Paper books, e-books - fine, but I'd rather not read a book at all than have to endure listening to an audiobook.

9 hours ago, Kelstar29 said:

Btw - As far as I know, public libraries in the US are partly funded by local taxes, so they really only provide services aimed at those taxpayers. But it would be nice if we could join other library networks via a donation or something!

Many libraries do have an out-of-district membership for a fee. However some services may not be available. The county library system near me says, "Individuals living outside of the Metropolitan area are not eligible to access the library's online databases, due to vendor contract restrictions."

Guess, I'll check it out. Just wished it was less expensive. But then agian, I say that about a lot of cool books that I want to read. Wonder how long it will take until it's available in the public library of my town. I won't have paid those 13 Euros fee for nothing XD.

Seems to currently only be available in hard cover in the UK 🤔

I may consider getting this in several years from now when I do not live with my family.

11 hours ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

I may consider getting this in several years from now when I do not live with my family.

It's available electronically (at least on Google Play Books, and presumably on other platforms). It may be easier to hide on your phone or some other device, if you're not using a shared Google/Kindle/whatever account. (That doesn't necessarily mean zero risk of being found out, but it's about as private as anything on your device is)

13 hours ago, ER2742 said:

It's available electronically (at least on Google Play Books, and presumably on other platforms). It may be easier to hide on your phone or some other device, if you're not using a shared Google/Kindle/whatever account. (That doesn't necessarily mean zero risk of being found out, but it's about as private as anything on your device is)

Still not willing to take that risk.

3 minutes ago, Darth Plagueis the Wise said:

Still not willing to take that risk.

Completely understandable. Whatever makes the most sense for your individual situation and personal well-being.

DarkStormyKnight

Just got my copy! I'm going to probably tweet a LOT about the book if anyone wants to watch me being asexual and annoying @ChrisprCas9

I'll pop back on here once I've finished it too in case you don't want to look at that haha.

• 7 months later...

Got the ebook from my library and am just starting it today.

SugarButterFlour
18 hours ago, KittKatz said:

Got the ebook from my library and am just starting it today.

I keep checking to see if my library has got it but not yet

Just finished it. Learned a lot! My favorite takeaway is the idea of asexuality as a gift to society from what it can teach society at large about compulsory sexuality, heteronormativity, consent, the relationship escalator, and the variety of options for meaningful relationships that might not fit the "norm" but are still life-giving and valid. At some parts I felt the Author got a bit into her head overanalyzing terms and picking them apart. It felt like I watching her over her shoulder as she was hunched over her desk intensely build and rebuild a complicated Lego set while muttering to herself. Other than that, appreciated the research and first person accounts she shared from her interviews. I'm also really glad she dedicated time to capture the experience of ALL aces whether they are trans, black, disabled, gay, lesbian, poly, white, Asian, etc. Kudos to her for shining a light on the true diversity of asexuality and intersecting identities and how they are experienced.

Archived