The Hobby Corner! (i.e. What do you do instead of Adult Funtime tm? :D)

Aloney

So I was curious about what people here have as their hobbies/interests? :D 

I have gotten the impression that many aces have very vibrant hobby lives, and wanted to know what you guys do for fun! It seems for some reason that some people limit their creativity and interests for the sake of a relationship, so are we a bit different about this? :3 I, personally, am a total train wreck when it comes to hobbies, I pick up a new interest almost every week :'D So far my most frequent hobbies are: Playing instruments, painting, drawing, badminton, knitting, crocheting, writing fiction, vague astrology stuff, candles and generally, getting to know cool facts about plants, animals, astronomy and pretty much all of Earth :'D I'm also a tea snob with my (just downsized!) collection of somewhere around 18 packets of loose-leaf tea, an hourglass tea timer and approximately five thousand mugs of different shapes and sizes! 

So what about you? What are you up to? :D Don't be afraid to comment, even if you don't think you have an interesting hobby, I like hearing about your favorite tea/coffee/cocoa/soda and the love for warm socks, too! Let's have a fun time chatting about nice things! 

I like to draw and write stories, but I only share my story stuff w/ close friends.  Would like to get into writing fan fics one day.  I get ideas or look at prompts lists, yet find myself unable to start writing anything for it.  It just lives on in my head.  Reading is fun as well.

Janus the Fox

Though it don’t stop an ace to have Adult Funtimes for reasons, including as a hobby, I have pretty regular hobbies like playing games, taking up daily exercise and reading books on subjects that I’ve never knew before or are loosely tied to my computing and infosys professional background.

Just now, SenAlkazar said:

I like to draw and write stories, but I only share my story stuff w/ close friends.  Would like to get into writing fan fics one day.  I get ideas or look at prompts lists, yet find myself unable to start writing anything for it.  It just lives on in my head.  Reading is fun as well.

Ohhh I forgot to add reading to my long list, that's been a hobby since I was six :'D And yay, another writer-person! I'm chronically scared of sharing my original writings, although right now I'm training on that with a friend, we take a theme and both write up to ten pages about it, like a short story, and then read each other's! :D It's fun, so far! I've also dabbled with fanfics, but mostly just for my own enjoyment :D 

I make walking sticks out of various local woods, I watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books, and I am absolutely in love with logic. I don't have a wide array of things but I like to go deep in everything I do choose to undertake. 

Just now, RebelScum said:

I make walking sticks out of various local woods, I watch a lot of movies and read a lot of books, and I am absolutely in love with logic. I don't have a wide array of things but I like to go deep in everything I do choose to undertake. 

Oh man, walking sticks? That sounds so cool! I would like to get more into woodworking :D (among about a hundred other things 😅)

6 minutes ago, Aloney said:

Oh man, walking sticks? That sounds so cool! I would like to get more into woodworking :D (among about a hundred other things 😅)

Its easy all you really need is a saw, a sander of some sort (even if you just use a sanding block or your hands to sand with), and some kind of tall straight wood. Then just do what you want to do with it. It's probably the easiest type of woodworking to get into. 

I like reading & researching, although I'm not sure those count as a hobby as it takes up so much of my life, piano, tennis, coin collecting, foreign stamp collecting, railway modelling, writing, completing an invented nation I first created when I was 5, board games, composing, philosophizing. On top of just the general thinking. I love thinking up new ways of understanding the world and new theories and concepts. About half my hobbies, the reading, researching, writing, and philosophizing, are just extensions and expressions of my love of thinking. 

My hobbies are experimenting with my espresso machine (a bit of a coffee snob here 😅), food tasting (chef/baker childhood friend influence), reading, writing fiction/fan-fiction, swimming, wood-shopping/wood working, and foraging. I also tend to pick up random hobbies from time to time to try new things.

2 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Its easy all you really need is a saw, a sander of some sort (even if you just use a sanding block or your hands to sand with), and some kind of tall straight wood. Then just do what you want to do with it. It's probably the easiest type of woodworking to get into. 

I do have a saw, some sandpaper and a whittling knife somewhere, I did do some work on a shoe cabinet last winter :D I just... Seriously have too many interest, it's a problem :'D But I would maybe like to do some collaboration woodwork with a friend who is into wood-burning stuff! :) 

4 minutes ago, ScottieVen said:

My hobbies are experimenting with my espresso machine (a bit of a coffee snob here 😅), food tasting (chef/baker childhood friend influence), reading, writing fiction/fan-fiction, swimming, wood-shopping, and foraging. I also tend to pick up random hobbies from time to time to try new things.

Yay, hot drink snobs unite! :D 

You have a point. A friend of mine said just the other week that for all my interests I'd need 72-hour days. I said not so, but I have the time and I use it to do stuff I enjoy, and given that I have a lot of time that's not being taken up by family or relationships, I do a lot of things.

Most of my interests come in fits and bursts though, precisely because there are so many of them. My kitchen is usually half a workshop, and I have a dedicated sewing / hobby / material storage room (and for good reason).

Let's see ... there are the creative things (making jewelry, remodeling furniture, crochet, sewing (ranging from historical costumes via movie costumes to making my own everyday clothes - I used the lockdown time to perfect my trouser patterns and I don't think I'll ever buy a pair of trousers again in my life), leather work, fixing instruments, chalk painting / upcycling / stuff like turning bottles into vases or decorating flowerpots, some historical handicrafts like drop-spindle spinning); the outdoorsy / nature things (swimming in the summer, riding my bike, just running around in the woods, gardening (from growing vegetables outside to having a house full of potted plants); the music things (playing a gazillion instruments, various types of dance (historical which I used to teach, folklore, ballet, currently trying to get into eurythmy), choir, playing concerts) and the more nerdy things (ranging from Star Trek to Tolkien and from RP to collecting dolls).

And the obvious things like reading books, doing jigsaw puzzles, playing with cats, and darning socks. Crazy Cat Lady life, y'know?

I do a lot of assorted nerdy stuff.

What I do that I guess is as good as, or better than sex is listening to music. That's the best thing in the world.

1 minute ago, weird elf said:

And the obvious things like reading books, doing jigsaw puzzles, playing with cats, and darning socks. Crazy Cat Lady life, y'know?

Ah yes, definitely, I just got a new apartment that allows cats, so that's definitely coming at some point xD

Just a Quail

I'm an artist, first and foremost! I love drawing, my favorite media to use is ink, watercolors, crayons... really anything I can get my hands on. I'm also experimenting with printmaking! Right now I'm working on a 2 block linocut print, and next I want to try making a reduction print.

I'm also a huge lover of cartoons, both in animation and comics. I dedicated most of my high school years watching a large variety of animated content and getting invested and knowledgeable on the industry. It used to be a dream of mine to work as a storyboard artist in animation. Now my energy has shifted towards reading comics. I love reading a good mix of printed graphic novels and webcomics, ranging in topics from fantasy to autobiographical. I had the absolute pleasure of taking a drawing class focused on comics last summer, and this fall I'll be taking one again with a different professor! I am so excited for it.

Other hobbies of mine include baking, card making, watching movies (my guilty pleasures are old hollywood musicals), and reading books. So it seems most of my hobbies revolve around making art, or consuming it. I should probably throw in something physical like running to shake things up a bit 😅

I crochet, write poems/raps/songs, play a little ukulele, listen to music like a fiend, read, meditate, go on walks...that's about it for now.

I'm much like you with the picking up and dropping hobbies, I've gone through loads! 

Although, I think I have more hobbies now than I did when I identified as ace haha. I'm a member of the UK's National Fancy Rat Society and I have my own pet rats who I take along to shows sometimes (when Covid wasn't happening); I'm a big reader mostly of horror, sci-fi, mystery & non-fiction about disease biology; I play Dungeons & Dragons & Magic the Gathering most weeks; I swim; I do the occasional bit of cross stitch, and I'm learning to sew with a machine. 

Most of them are fairly sporadic and I pick up and drop them as the mood takes me, but I find it's nice to have the variety :)

everywhere and nowhere

Reading!!! The Most Important Vital Function for me. Given that:

• I read books a lot;
  • I have been reading books since the age of five;
  • even when I'm not reading a book, I read for example articles about politics every day;
  • and since I'm a translator, a part of my work consists of reading too;
  • sleep is considered the "activity" on which people waste a large portion of their lives... however, I have trouble sleeping;

- I have probably spent more time reading than performing any other activity.

Other activities: playing games (mostly retro adventures) and collecting screenshots, writing my diary (which is mostly not "I did this and this today", but rather my reflections on different topics - from a formal point of view, many could be well classified as "essay" or "poetic prose"), some sport, talking to a friend, trying all the different teas I can get...

• I am learning how to crochet
  • Gaming
    • Listening to music
    • Journaling and fountain pen related geekery

I'm like a huge nerd so about what you'd expect, my main hobby right now is tabletop gaming, since I play D&D and run Call of Cthulhu, but I do like film quite a lot and I used to be very into video-games, though I'll admit I haven't been for a while with the last time I even played being Fallout New Vegas about a month ago.

I used to like cooking as a hobby too, but since I'm a terrible cook I mostly do it out of necessity nowadays since no matter how much I practice I don't seem to improve much.

Everyone has such nice-sounding hobbies! :D And it's making me remember all the other hobbies I haven't thought about in a while that I should pick back up :'D

Idk if this counts as a hobby but I'm really into kpop... the music, the choreography, the performances, the elaborate music videos. I find it all so fascinating.

From music in general, I just love the feelings I get from listening to certain songs. All I want to do is show other people my favorite songs in the hopes that they feel what I'm feeling every time I listen. Some songs make me feel the purest form of bliss, some are so beautiful I want to cry, some are so high energy I get a dopamine boost. Nothing makes me happier than when I show someone a song and they like it, or when they ask me for more recommendations. I love making playlists to capture specific vibes. 

So yeah, music takes up a big part of my life :)

I write short stories and mess around with Photoshop a bit as read some. 

Reading isn't a hobby, it's a way of life (and one of the few things I can still do when I have a mid-level migraine).  When I moved here 15 years ago, I owned around 3000 books (estimated on the basis of the number of shelf-feet they took up, because counting them was Not Practical), mostly sf&f, but with a sprinkling of nonfiction and other stuff.  My collection has not shrunk since.  😅

And if I call the cats a hobby, I'll no doubt be found mysteriously deceased with my throat clawed open.  Oops.

Other than that, I write (mostly bad fan fiction), occasionally draw or paint, watch too much anime, play JRPGs (mostly older ones), and have a fascination with learning to make All The Things, even if I don't always try to put that knowledge into practice.  I recently acquired a 3D printer, and the shininess hasn't worn off it yet ;).  Computer programming is only a hobby for me at times when I'm not doing it for a living, so not right now.  I keep on meaning to take up music again—used to play piano/keyboard as a kid.

33 minutes ago, ElloryJaye said:

Reading isn't a hobby, it's a way of life

Agreed. Other than reading I watch anime and crochet

ace bookdragon

I do a lot of reading and writing, mostly original fiction, but I do have a few fanfics. I also ride horses.

Anomaly Q3Xr

I've been developing my own created universe since I was a child, and work on that daily. It is very complex. with innumerable spreadsheets, and currently creating a Wiki for it too. Most of my other hobbies revolve around that, like creating fairly simple 4X games, etc.  Creating my universe includes a lot of research, calculations, etc, and is the best part of my life. I am always looking into new ways of developing it further.

I also like to visit museums from time to time.

fooledbysecrecy

reading, knitting, other crafty things, playing piano/guitar..

if i have energy and motivation, that is. which is not often these days unfortunately.

literallylexi

I like to read, color, listen to music, play Guitar Hero, listen to a podcast occasionally, watch things on Netflix and YouTube, and play the piano. I'd like to rollerblade more, but I can only do it on flat surfaces and no one ever wants to go to the skating rink with me.

Archived