Ace week events ideas

Tasty

Hi everyone,

I'm from the Uni of Leeds LGBT+ Society and we're trying to think of events to run during Ace Week. Normally for pride weeks we run themed coffee hours (COVID says no atm), film showings (not many ace films :( ) and intersectional discussions with other societies (mostly feminist society). However all of these are looking a bit hard to do with the current situation, does anyone have any ideas of things we could run?

George - Officer for Asexual Welfare, LUU LGBTQ+ Society

Have a cake and bakery safe distance party 

How about a World Café kind of thing? That can be done at safe distance and / or outdoors. (I'm not sure what policies are like in the UK right now, I know that over here it would be possible.)

A picnic in a local park should be possible, particularly while the weather is so good. Suggest for safety that everyone brings their own food instead of doing potluck to share.

I think cake is a good idea (we've run zoom bake off before so repeat that), also picnic in the park should be doable. Thanks for the suggestions

Some of the physically-distanced things we've been brainstorming for our own group include:

• Find a selection of short ace films on youtube (there's actually a lot of both fiction and nonfiction shorts in the 5-20min range!) and see if you can organize a watch party with netflix party or some similar app, then hold a panel or general open discussion afterwards
  • Host an online workshop or panel Q&A on zoom
  • Create some flyers, posters,  or graphics that people can print out and post on local bulletin boards, telephone poles, in a window, etc. The artsier the better!
  • Ask people to post pics of said posters all over and post them in a shared #hashtag somewhere
  • Make ace-themed postcards (with ace quotes or facts?) that people can send out to friends they can't safely meet up with yet
  • Create writing prompts or questions/polls for people to engage with on social media
  • Curate a list of asexuality facts to post on social media (definitions of words, stats from research, quotes from asexual people, bits of history, etc.)
  • Curate lists links to ace resources, artists, bloggers, etc. to share on social media

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see if anyone comes up with any other good new ideas :)

• 2 weeks later...
HibernoHistorian

(I'm not certain this is the right place to post this, but it seemed like the best option. Apologies if I messed it up! (x)

Good morning! So, I was thinking about Ace Week coming up next month and how I think I'd like to do something low-key. I'm not out to anyone but my husband and best friend, so I'm not sure I want to do anything super big, but I think I'd like to try something small. (Also, this is my first year, so.) There aren't any events going on within hours of my town, either. Does anyone have any ideas for something I can do myself?

HibernoHistorian

I don't understand memes at all, so I doubt I could make anything that made any sense... (x

They don't all need to make sense. :P

You can do things like put an ace flag in your window, or inside your home if you don't want to display things to the public. You can also support ace artists or craftspeople by buying things from them online. 

HibernoHistorian

Ooh, I like the idea of being able to buy something nice from an ace artist or something! I may look into that - maybe like a pin or decal or something. 🙂

The previous ace week ideas thread here also has some suggestions, although some are more for groups.

For individuals, requesting asexuality-related books at your local library is one way to start! (Almost all public libraries have some kind of form you can fill out to request books). Borrowing and reading something ace-related that's already in your local library system is also a great way to make sure those books stay in circulation!

HibernoHistorian

Ahh, I like that idea! It was actually a book from my local library that helped me learn about and identify with asexuality in the first place. I think my library might still be closed because of the pandemic, but they might have limited hours or a carry-out system - I'll have to check again.

Archived