Petition for including Asexuality in anti-discrimination laws

Yellinmichellin

everywhere and nowhere

Shouldn't it be phrased in another way?

I think I know where does that data about jobs and housing come from: from a study about whether asexuals are discriminated as a group. I too have a lot of doubts about these data. I don't even get why do American studies seem to concentrate on housing and jobs. Maybe because the USA has sick laws which allow denying a service based on any whim? But I too find it extremely unlikely that someone would indeed deny an asexual person housing based on their asexuality (which is, by the way, generally speaking not a visible characteristic). Which doesn't mean that asexuals aren't discriminated.

So perhaps instead of citing dubious examples you should look at it in another way? If homosexual and bisexual people are legally protected from discrimination, asexuals should be protected too. It doesn't require proving that someone has actually been denied housing or whatever. Really, it is enough to say that we should have the same protection as gays, lesbians and bisexual people. Why? It's enough that asexuality is a valid orientation too. Even if nobody would actually discriminate an asexual, we deserve this protection - on principle; if nothing more - just as a public confirmation that asexuality is a valid orientation too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 3:51 AM, Someone Else said:

I can't think of anything that oppresses asexuals and only asexuals, at least not in the US where I am.  The OP didn't mention the country in which these laws were needed.  Are there groups out there specifically targeting asexuals and not targeting celibates, nuns, or non-marrying sexuals?

I think the problem about discrimination towards asexuals (versus celibates, nuns, or non-marrying sexuals) is that asexuality isn't a choice. So discrimination that affects asexuals should be unlawful since it's not something we can control.

@JDP @LucindaRegarding examples, in the book The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker, there's a section called "Society, Discrimination, and Queer Communities" which gives some examples of discrimination against asexuals. Here's an excerpt:

「Below is a short (and non-exhaustive) list of laws, situations, attitudes, and issues that can and do specifically target and negatively affect asexual people, followed by discussion of each:

1. Consummation laws

2. Adoption denial

3. Employment discrimination and housing discrimination

4. Discrimination by mental health professionals

5. Lack of marriage equivalent for non-romantic relationships

6. Religious pressure/discrimination

7. "Corrective" rape

8. Lack of representation in media and sex education

9. Internalized oppression/self-hate」

Obviously I didn't type out the entire section, but this gives you an idea. If y'all are curious about a certain part, I could potentially type out a paragraph or two. Or you could get the book for yourself 😜

On 8/23/2020 at 5:17 PM, Nowhere Girl said:

If homosexual and bisexual people are legally protected from discrimination, asexuals should be protected too. It doesn't require proving that someone has actually been denied housing or whatever. Really, it is enough to say that we should have the same protection as gays, lesbians and bisexual people. Why? It's enough that asexuality is a valid orientation too. Even if nobody would actually discriminate an asexual, we deserve this protection - on principle; if nothing more - just as a public confirmation that asexuality is a valid orientation too.

Definitely agree! 👍

Archived