ftm clothing

banana monkey

banana monkey

So whilst I would not necessarily identify as trans. I am female bodied and like presenting as more masculine. In order to do this, I have been trying to experiment with clothing and found that men's clothes are most comfortable. Unfortunately, I am quite short for a female as well, meaning that I often have to buy the short or petite ranges in the women's shops. I have managed to find that if I buy some older boys or primark xs men's t shirt they are just about the right length but I'm really struggling with trousers at the moment as it appears that even the more neutral women's trousers I have used previously are no longer around. Given that I'm in the uk, can anyone recommend any ideas? 

banana monkey
20 minutes ago, theV0ID said:

Learn how to shorten and hem your own clothes. As a short legged person it has made my life a thousand times easier.

Fair comment - but I also seem to occasionally have problems with hips or something as in the last time I tried men's trousers I could not get them on. 

I am a short trans guy and almost every time I buy something I alter it a little - hemming, resewing a button to a better position, cutting a significant part of shirts to shorten them... 

But buying pants is the worst! I can't take them from the kids section either, because while I am not curvy nor overweight, I am definitely not thin enough to fit into them. But that might be an option for you? 

Righto, sorry for the delay in responding!

Personally, as a short trans guy, dressing got a lot easier once I was several months into hormone replacement therapy. My clothes fit me in the masculine way I idolised, and my dysphoria was alleviated by passing as male. This was due to the fat redistribution which reduced the size of my butt, and changed the "curves" I'd previously struggled with. But my goal was passing, and that might not be what you're aiming for!

I would suggest shopping in all sections. My current go-to look is black jeggings (which basically look/are textured like denim), bought from the women's section, with oversized flannel shirts bought from the men's section. The flannel hangs down below my butt, meaning any residual curviness is hidden. Other times I'll wear altered men's jeans with a shirt tucked-in, a belt, and an undone flannel shirt on top of that. Boyfriend jeans work, too.

The other advantage with those two looks, particularly the second one, is that chest flattening is much more effective beneath layers/thicker fabric. If you're interested in exploring chest binding (which I would highly recommend, it can cause immediate gender euphoria), I've written some binding advice here:

Also, look on Youtube for masculine presentation inspiration. There are plenty of AFAB folks who dress masculinely and share their tips, butch women and tomboys included.

The first time I passed, actually, I was pre-T with a buzzcut, wearing a flannel and women's jeans, and a sports bra. It was a pretty cool experience!!

I was really inspired by the character Ray in the film 3 Generations. The way that he dresses is really relatable to how I dressed when I first started exploring my gender identity.

0ce792_927efdd331a845638d2a0fca3bb0e9e8~

Above, a loose white tank top and a white chest binder. Sports shorts like those ones are also very good for a casual gender-neutral look, especially if you buy a few sizes larger.

0ce792_94045443439c4c198209d8ddab8a0c13~

In this one, you'll see a more broad-shouldered tank top, comparable to a muscle tee. This is a really good tactic for hiding a binder beneath a sleeveless top. If you buy a men's shirt (perhaps a couple of sizes bigger than you usually would buy), and cut off the sleeves, you'll have a tank top which will hide binder straps.

Ray does something in this movie, which a lot of FTM guys and masculine AFAB folks do. He layers jackets and sweaters over shirts, which flatters his figure and results in a more androgynous form. The actor is quite slender, which helps, but I can confirm that these looks work for a chunkier guy too (which I used to be).

0ce792_e6be070f913a4934b448ce0ed6d4539d~

0ce792_55b052ea19b9427d87eecb971a2b4328~

0ce792_e916206e8eb94108bb02d50ae1e4d5c1~

An open flannel or thick jacket, worn over other layers, is the perfect companion to open-chest binding. Or, if you're not interested in that (and there are some downsides), just wear a sports bra, and push your chest outward. This will mean that any shapeliness will be more hidden by the open jacket/flannel you're wearing.

That's a lot of information, but I hope some of it helps! Look around for inspiration. You'll find a lot of it everywhere, particularly on Youtube.

Archived