Im new and confused

Tayloraustine

Tayloraustine

I didnt know being asexual, demisexual or graysexual was a thing.

I've always had really low self esteem so I usually behave how I think I'm supposed to be behave.

I've been sexual, but it disgusts me. Sometimes I have panic attacks and it shocks me and the other individual as well. 

I've had a history of substance abuse and alcoholism, but I'm in recovery now. For the most particular, most of my sexual interactions have been while drunk or on drugs. I have minimal interest in others. Sometimes I want attention, but I dont like that awkward situation when the other person wants more. 

For a long time, I thought that I must have some sort of trauma that made me like this... I never concidered that I could just be wired differently.

I have so many questions! I am so curious. I could be demi-sexual. Im interested in someone every 3 or so years, but not in a sexual way.... power and dysfunction usually intrigue me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone???

Hello! Welcome to AVEN 🍰

5 hours ago, Tayloraustine said:

I have so many questions! I am so curious. I could be demi-sexual. Im interested in someone every 3 or so years, but not in a sexual way.... power and dysfunction usually intrigue me.

Does this sound familiar to anyone???

I'm not really sure what you mean by "power and dysfunction", but as a demisexual, the definition is experiencing sexual attraction toward another person only after a strong emotional bond has been achieved. I've never heard of romantic interest fluctuating based on time, but I wouldn't put it past anybody! I'm not sure if demisexual is the right definition though... If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask!

DarkStormyKnight

Hello!!!! We're so happy you joined AVEN! It sounds like you've had one heck of a journey to get here, but I'm glad that you're in recovery now, and I hope that you find the threads here useful for exploring your identity!

It's a bit of a tradition to present newcomers with cake, so here you go!

img_20200108_110630-01.jpeg?w=1200

Welcome! Demisexuality is based on how well you know the person and for how long rather than the time between attractions. Grey-asexuals experience sexual attraction either incredibly rarely or only under specific circumstances. Asexuals experience no sexual attraction. 

I recommend looking into the types of attraction, here’s a sketchcomic to get you started :) 

la-fo-proof-chocolate-cake-20160213&f=1&

Tayloraustine

I dont experience sexual attraction, but occasionally I like others, but not in a sexual way. 

17 hours ago, SmaragdineSpellCastor said:

Hello! Welcome to AVEN 🍰

I'm not really sure what you mean by "power and dysfunction", but as a demisexual, the definition is experiencing sexual attraction toward another person only after a strong emotional bond has been achieved. I've never heard of romantic interest fluctuating based on time, but I wouldn't put it past anybody! I'm not sure if demisexual is the right definition though... If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask!

I guess what I'm saying, is that it doesn't happen often. And it's romantic and not sexual 

Maybe I'm more confused than I thought? 

Tayloraustine
13 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

Hello!!!! We're so happy you joined AVEN! It sounds like you've had one heck of a journey to get here, but I'm glad that you're in recovery now, and I hope that you find the threads here useful for exploring your identity!

It's a bit of a tradition to present newcomers with cake, so here you go!

img_20200108_110630-01.jpeg?w=1200

Thank you for the cake 

Aquatic Paradox
10 hours ago, Tayloraustine said:

I dont experience sexual attraction, but occasionally I like others, but not in a sexual way. 

I guess what I'm saying, is that it doesn't happen often. And it's romantic and not sexual 

Maybe I'm more confused than I thought? 

You could be demiromantic or greyromantic....

There are loads of other labels related to romantic orientation, probably because romantic feelings aren't easy to describe.

• 2 weeks later...
NickyTannock

A very belated welcome to AVEN!

You could be a Greyromantic Asexual.

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Romantic_orientation

http://wiki.asexuality.org/Sexual_orientation

It might also help to know that there are different types of attraction;

There's sexual attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have sex with someone (This is different from arousal, which doesn't always lead to desiring sex).

There's romantic attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have a romantic relationship (I still don't know what that is, I'm aromantic).

There's sensual attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have intimate non-sexual physical contact with someone, like cuddling and sometimes kissing.

There's aesthetic attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to appreciate someone's aesthetic beauty (you can't take your eyes off them).

There's platonic attraction, which I define as leading to the desire to have a close friendship with someone.

And more.

I wish you luck with figuring yourself out.

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a "Puzzle" cake,

https://cakesdecor.com/cakes/281806-puzzle-cake

rubqsj2qfdzbrssupsd6.jpg

the-ace-of-hearts

We, as humans, try to label things that defy them. There is a spectrum, and there is space here for anyone who needs it. You are here, and you are valid. It takes a while to figure out, but I'm here if you need it and so are all of us.

33121c6f-4048-4b80-8319-fd3b7dda9ed8.jpg

Archived