Do your parents fight?

GingerRose

~  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do your parents fight with each other?

• No
    • Yes
    • N/A

I suppose it depends what you mean by fight. My parents (both sets) surely have little squabbles and arguments with each other as is normal, but I've never seen any of them full on fighting with each other. Never witnessed my dad or mom fight either before or after their divorce. I'm lucky in that sense. 

They've had the occasional argument, but they never go to sleep on a fight. Neither are confrontational people and rather compromise.

AspieAlly613

Well, they stopped fighting about 10 years after they separated.

Haha... ha... 'fight' would be an understatement......

Nope. Never fight, never argue, barely ever even disagree on things. They both have a kind of unspoken policy that if something means a lot to the other person, they back off even if they think it's silly. They're still very much in love. 

Being homeschooled I was exposed to this kind of lifestyle all the time, and I must have been 13 or so by the time I realized not everyone's parents just... get along. I've been really lucky, and it's made me realize I wouldn't want a relationship with any kind of fighting at all. 

I learned at least one cuss word due to my parents fighting lol. After they divorced they still fought sometimes, but they’ve stopped now.

31 minutes ago, Marsa said:

fight

Like verbally abuse each other.

23 minutes ago, SmaragdineSpellCastor said:

Haha... ha... 'fight' would be an understatement......

Ya, IKR. Same here.

blunose2772

My parents would fight all the time. In fact when they told me they were getting a divorce my reaction "About damn time."

RoseGoesToYale

I chose N/A because what I witnessed were not fights. A fight implies equal participation, passion and desire to prevail. What I saw and heard were my mom dishing it all out and my stepdad sitting there and taking it. The yelling on her part was very fight-like.

They don't, the haven't talked to or seen each other in years. Before that they also didn't fight. At least I don't remember they ever did. But that was because they never really communicated anything, at all. There was just a lot of silence. The greatest talent they shared though was to directly and indirectly ruin their children's childhoods.

I've seen them fight a few times, but most of the time it's minor squabbles or disagreements.

My dad was a prick to us when we were younger and was both physically and emotionally abusive.  Because of that my parents fought constantly.  Now he's just a sad old man who no one wants much to do with and doesn't understand why. 

They did, to the point of physical altercations that I barely remember because I was just a kid (and possibly my mind is suppressing those memories)

That, among other things, eventually led to divorce, so it was just my mom and I for most of my formative years.

20+ years later, my dad has mellowed out somewhat and they actually get along mostly amicably now.  I was never really interested in reforming any sort of bond with him again, though.  The damage has been done.

Forest Spirit

Yes, though it's never an equal fight. My father gets ticked off by something (anything really) and starts yelling, my mum tells him to stop and that no, he's not right ecc. and he just keeps getting worse, cussing, talking sh*t about everyone, threatening people (though I don't remember him getting physically violent), that kind of thing. I've wished for them to divorce since I can remember but guess that may never happen due to reasons I may never really understand. Though my father has gotten a tiny bit better the past years due to (I think) on-setting dementia or something

Not as much, anymore, due to getting older and doctors advising them not to stress themselves out (with their health issues/medication, past surgeries for stroke, etc.)

28 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

They did, to the point of physical altercations...

Same. Although, what was really awful was how they'd decide to get along with each other only by taking it out on their children.

And, apparently, my grandparents were like that, too, toward their spouses and children; it's really sad to have a family legacy of this.

It caused me to be wary about marriage/relationships (and to wonder if part of the reason my relatives' relationships weren't happy was whether, perhaps, some relatives were aromantic, asexual, etc., who never really wanted to be a parent or be married and just went along with it because that was what was expected for adults in the culture, at the time), among other things.

Not since their divorce 

They don't really fight but sometimes I wonder how they can still be together, while bickering all the time and having such different opinions.

I know some couples that won't divorce no matter what. They may be affraid to jump out of the boat and not being able to support themselves.

For this reason I'd rather stay self-reliant even in relationships.

Yes, they fight. Sometimes the fights have gone further than anyone would like but one thing I will commend them on is that they work on things, slowly but surely.

Aquatic Paradox

They shout, criticise, and swear sometimes, but I haven't heard them exchange insults.

abandoned-account

Mine have been divorced for almost 20 years now and they (or at least my father) still bitch about their failed marriage and their hatred for one another.

fooledbysecrecy

i haven't lived with them for a long time but i guess they argue now and again. they fought a lot tho when i was a kid, not physically but a lot of shouting and swearing. sometimes i'm surprised they've been married for decades. but good for them.

Anthracite_Impreza

They hated each other and I have no fucking idea why they ever got together. Mother walked out for the last time, after cheating on father, when I was six. My father's still bitter about it, but I know cos he's treated me the same that he was a controlling nasty bastard to her too. A very toxic relationship the repercussions I still have to deal with even 20 years after their separation. I have only ever known toxic, abusive and violent relationships from parents and stepparents alike (exception for mother's current, unless he's drunk), so I really cannot fathom healthy, happy ones. They really do sound like a bollocks fairytale that never happens in reality.

If they do it's all mental or in dreams now.

I don't recall them physically fighting or yelling fighting when dad was alive. I know they had disagreements and I'm sure they had arguments.

SunlitMoonlight

I think if you put 2 people in a house and tell them to live together for the rest of their lives there are going to be fights.

I don't think there's any way around fighting if you're married. I think there's more a requirement to have the courage to pick up the pieces over and over again and keep going, restarting, and trying again, for as long as it takes, as many times as you need to, to get where you need to go. Because love isn't something that just up and whisks you away to a place where nothing can ever hurt you again, in my opinion. Love is a choice you've gotta keep making til the day you die, that leaves you at any moment to be completely torn to shreds by this other person you love. 

Archived