Pain  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather NEVER feel...

• Emotional Pain.
    • Physical Pain.

This poll is closed to new votes

Soul Searcher
19 minutes ago, iCicero said:

I've been in the situation of overthinking and overanalysng things, but I've felt anything in my diaphragm when it happened/happens, for whatever reason.

I'm guessing you also feel your heart beating out of your chest at times?

Me overthinking is not the cause of my emotional pain. It's just a symptom. Usually my emotional pain begins with a panic attack, difficulty in breathing and then feeling like I might not survive.

Things then take a turn for the worse and I start imagining all sorts of bad and negative things. Basically, my emotions start playing with me. And I cannot control it. No matter how much it lasts, it is a terrific situation. 

The basic thing that I feel amidst it all is that someone is gripping me chest from the inside and not letting go. It sort of is in the middle chest area probably where the diaphragm is. 

Yeah, my heart starts beating rapidly and the only thing that even works for me is if I start walking or do some physically strenuous  activity. It basically is a panic attack with my emotions controlling me instead of me controlling them.

Aquatic Paradox
16 minutes ago, Brainiac said:

Me overthinking is not the cause of my emotional pain. It's just a symptom. Usually my emotional pain begins with a panic attack, difficulty in breathing and then feeling like I might not survive.

Things then take a turn for the worse and I start imagining all sorts of bad and negative things. Basically, my emotions start playing with me. And I cannot control it. No matter how much it lasts, it is a terrific situation. 

The basic thing that I feel amidst it all is that someone is gripping me chest from the inside and not letting go. It sort of is in the middle chest area probably where the diaphragm is. 

Yeah, my heart starts beating rapidly and the only thing that even works for me is if I start walking or do some physically strenuous  activity. It basically is a panic attack with my emotions controlling me instead of me controlling them.

I've experienced the overthinking and imaginings without the physical aspect, for some reason. 

Instead my mind goes blank and I can't register anything, like what Patrick Star does sometimes.

Forest Spirit

Not sure, on first glance I'd take physical pain over emotional one BUT what does that imply? Do I not have any emotions anymore or just no negative ones? Would I stop caring about things if I didn't have any negative ones anymore? Isn't having negative emotions part of empathising? You feeling the pain of others?

(just me over-thinking everything)

SpaceDustbin

Physical pain.

I occasionally do my back in (on top of the more or less chronic back pain that's already there), and it's not pretty. 

Soul Searcher
3 hours ago, Quasar.w said:

Not sure, on first glance I'd take physical pain over emotional one BUT what does that imply? Do I not have any emotions anymore or just no negative ones? Would I stop caring about things if I didn't have any negative ones anymore? Isn't having negative emotions part of empathising? You feeling the pain of others?

(just me over-thinking everything)

It's simple. Is your emotional pain worse than physical one? Can you live with emotional pain or physical pain?

Forest Spirit
3 hours ago, Brainiac said:

It's simple. Is your emotional pain worse than physical one? Can you live with emotional pain or physical pain?

Yes to the first question, I can stand physical pain better or at least the one I have experienced so far (including felling like dying from menstrual cramps so yeah...)

That was kind of hard to choose. I’m in quite a bit of physical pain at the moment. Taking 3 different painkillers on a regular basis for my ‘usual’ pain. Most of that usual is for metastatic breast cancer. A lot of it has spread to my bones, so there’s a lot of bone pain. Anyways, I would really love it if I didn’t have to deal with that. Emotional pain can get me in a different way that seems to stick longer. So, it’s still difficult. Went with physical pain. 

• 2 weeks later...

As someone with depression this is a somewhat tricky one to answer, but I'd still have to go with ditching physical pain.  Neither are necessarily pleasant, but I don't feel physical pain really adds much to my character the way emotional pain can.

Physical just flat out sucks.  It might still toughen you up in a way, but as someone that has never felt particularly attached to their physical body, it's not in a way that I'm capable of appreciating.

They are both incredibly difficult to deal with but I'm going to have to go with physical pain. I've had to live over ten years with major depression so it's almost become second hand at this point

J. van Deijck

Emotional pain. Physical pain, if very high, is also unbearable, but that's rarely a case for me.

• 3 weeks later...
SugarButterFlour

I have chronic pain and I’d would rather keep it and never have emotional pain.

My body is starting to rebel against me. I spent my youth as "that guy", the one who would play sports way too hard, who would party way too hard, who was a physical " comedian". So its deserved when my joints ache and all the bones I've broke become arthritic. But I can take a tablet and lessen those pains. What I can't do is take a pill to eliminate the ache I feel in my head and heart even though I'm on several drugs that are supposed to help. So give me physical pain any day, I know how to fix it. But the other kind I don't think I can ameliorate. 

• 1 year later...

@Brainiac

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived