Soul Searcher

Pain  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather NEVER feel...

• Emotional Pain.
    • Physical Pain.

This poll is closed to new votes

Soul Searcher

I know what is it like to be in emotional pain most of the times for apparently no reason at all.

So I would rather take physical pain over it anyday.

Oh wow most people said emotional pain... oop.

I said physical pain because I really really really hate the idea of physical pain, even like watching scenes where people get hurt in movies is awful for me. I can deal with sadness, anger, and all those other painful emotions pretty well. In fact I don't mind being sad even tho it sucks in the moment, I feel like knowing what sadness and pain feels like allows me to enjoy the value of happiness much more. 

I would take physical pain over emotional pain any day. Being depressed sucked/sucks ass. If I'm feeling really intense emotions, it just drains me and I get all tired. That happens if I get pretty angry of if I cry from being sad, that sort of thing.

Aquatic Paradox

Physical pain. I don't think I've felt emotional pain anyway (is it painful in the same way as when you bash your toe?).

If emotional pain is what feeling dead inside is, I'd prefer to never feel emotional pain.

Grey-Ace Ventura

Emotional pain. I'm always hurting emotionally for no reason and physical pain doesn't really bother me that much anyway. It also goes away faster than emotional pain.

i have felt both and often   the physical pain will heal  or lessen but mental pain can be raw like the first day it happen or magnify over time and it can repeat with just a thaught of a person or an object and your back were you started, you can have the emotional pain ,i will take phisical pain any day.

everywhere and nowhere

I would never want to never feel emotional pain in the first place. It's an experience I consider necessary. I don't want to be only-happy. The world is not enough (which, by the way, does not originate from a James Bond movie, it's an old motto of the Habsburgs), I want far more than happiness. I would never want to be just calm and glad, a life without Intensity is not worth living for me.

Purple Red Panda

I believe emotional pain is pretty much an innate part of being human and as horrible as it is it can in some circumstances be a catalyst for growth and positive things can come out of it. Sometimes it can just be awful and I acknowledge that.

No emotional pain. That was easy.

I would do away with emotions entirely, but pain seems like a nice start.

5 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I would never want to never feel emotional pain in the first place. It's an experience I consider necessary. I don't want to be only-happy. The world is not enough (which, by the way, does not originate from a James Bond movie, it's an old motto of the Habsburgs), I want far more than happiness. I would never want to be just calm and glad, a life without Intensity is not worth living for me.

That's a lovely way to think about it. Grief has made me mature as a person, sadness allows us to empathise with and help other people . Period cramps, on the other hand, are a complete waste of time!

Anthracite_Impreza

Emotional, at least we have morphine for the physical.

I can deal with physical pain much more easily than with grief, stress, and fear.

Emotional pain. I've had a few serious injuries over the years and live with chronic back and joint pain as a result, and I will say that physical pain sucks but it's easy enough to cope with with the right techniques, and we have highly effective painkillers available. Emotional pain is not so easily treated, and while it has played an important role in making me who I am today i would be delighted to never feel it again.

Aquatic Paradox
51 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but where in your body do you feel the emotional pain?

Emotional, im already pretty durable. Besides I know how to fix physical pain, not emotional pain.

Soul Searcher
7 hours ago, iCicero said:

Physical pain. I don't think I've felt emotional pain anyway (is it painful in the same way as when you bash your toe?).

If emotional pain is what feeling dead inside is, I'd prefer to never feel emotional pain.

I won't say it's ALWAYS like that but yeah, it's a big part. To me emotional pain is just like gut feeling but worse and negative. Whenever I feel something negative (most of the times), there is like some inner sensation that tells me it should hurt and it does. It's not dissimilar to someone poking you with a red-hot ion that doesn't leave any mark.

And then my emotions take over my logic and I can't stop obsessing about it as if everything is my damn fault. No matter what I do, it just sticks and is on the forefront of my mind.

The main difference between it and physical pain is that there are no nerve receptors that tell you 'something hurts' and and you don't have any painkiller for that.

Soul Searcher
6 hours ago, Nowhere Girl said:

Well, I can understand where you are coming from. And congratulations that you know what you want. (Even though they might not not be that big deal). WIsh I knew too.

There are three life in life I don't know-

Who am I?

What do I want?

Where to go from here?

Like literally. I don't know the answer to these questions. These are the main reasons for my emotional pain and a general cynic mind. Most of the times, I am feeling something negative and I don't know how to break that loop. Also, I feel things deeply- more than I should. And anything wrong or negative affects me more than anybody else I know. And it has been like this for a few years now. So, I would just like it to stop. I have felt a lot of physical pain in my life as whilst they do hurt, not that much. So yeah, I would do away with emotional pain altogether.

Soul Searcher
6 hours ago, Homer said:

No emotional pain. That was easy.

I would like to have that too but emotions play a big part in making us who we are. So, unless you want to live like a robot with hard morals there is not much to do about that. 

Soul Searcher
5 hours ago, iCicero said:

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but where in your body do you feel the emotional pain?

In your heart, I guess?

Well, I am a person who believes that heart does nothing but pump blood. It's our brain that makes us feel things. But I do not have any answer as to why your heart hurts when you are sad. Maybe that is where is concept of think with your heart came from.

On a fun note, it's not my heart that hurts but rather mt middle chest or my diaphragm. So, maybe I should start saying it to myself 'think with your diaphragm' 🤣

Aquatic Paradox
1 hour ago, Brainiac said:

In your heart, I guess?

Well, I am a person who believes that heart does nothing but pump blood. It's our brain that makes us feel things. But I do not have any answer as to why your heart hurts when you are sad. Maybe that is where is concept of think with your heart came from.

On a fun note, it's not my heart that hurts but rather mt middle chest or my diaphragm. So, maybe I should start saying it to myself 'think with your diaphragm' 🤣

I haven’t experienced diaphragm pain, oddly enough.

When was the last time you experienced pain like that?

everywhere and nowhere
14 hours ago, Homer said:

To be honest, this is something I find inhuman. I, personally, reject even the whole idea that "thoughts" and "feelings", "intellectual" and "emotional" are separate or - even worse - opposite things. This is not how real experience works - in real inner life, there is no division into neat categories such as "thoughts", "feelings", "memory", "perception" and other aspects, they constantly morph into each other. For me "there are no intellectual feelings and no unemotional thoughts", I experience inner life in constant flux from one aspect to another.

If someone really wants, I could even try to translate at least parts of my diary entry on what I named "emotiophobia".

12 minutes ago, Nowhere Girl said:

To be honest, this is something I find inhuman.

Fine with me - I'm not a fan of the human species anyway.

I put emotional pain, because I could see myself getting injured, possibly severely if I couldn't feel physical pain. Pain is there as a warning - stop, don't do that, you will get hurt. I've read about people who can't feel pain. It's not pretty. 

fooledbysecrecy

yeah emotional pain can go

I'd rather not feel physical pain 

#gout 

I can deal with emotional pain. I've dealt with it a lot. I have a very low tolerance for physical pain though, none of that please. 🥴

Soul Searcher
3 hours ago, iCicero said:

I haven’t experienced diaphragm pain, oddly enough.

When was the last time you experienced pain like that?

Oh, it happens on a day to day basis. It's  not pain per se but a really uncomfortable  situation not dissimilar to facing a dementor, if I can say so.

It's basically me overthinking and overanalyzing things where I can't stop thinking about it and the more I think, the more I fall into it.

I know it's confusing to read it like this but I have never tried talking about it. So I cannot really tell what it is like. 

Soul Searcher
2 hours ago, Homer said:

Fine with me - I'm not a fan of the human species anyway.

Which species then are you a fan of?

Aquatic Paradox
9 minutes ago, Brainiac said:

Oh, it happens on a day to day basis. It's  not pain per se but a really uncomfortable  situation not dissimilar to facing a dementor, if I can say so.

It's basically me overthinking and overanalyzing things where I can't stop thinking about it and the more I think, the more I fall into it.

I know it's confusing to read it like this but I have never tried talking about it. So I cannot really tell what it is like. 

I've been in the situation of overthinking and overanalysng things, but I've felt anything in my diaphragm when it happened/happens, for whatever reason.

I'm guessing you also feel your heart beating out of your chest at times?

1 minute ago, Brainiac said:

Which species then are you a fan of?

All the others. Although I'm not as big a fan of monkeys and the like.

Archived