Anti...maskers? Are real?? How?

Eva Blue

13 hours ago, nanogretchen4 said:

SkyCaptain, I'm curious. Do you have the talk about how you don't wear a mask and regularly let passengers ride unmasked when people call to request a cab? Or do passengers have to start all over and wait for a second cab if they prefer to take reasonable precautions?

I don't stop passengers from wearing masks, I just say that they don't have to if they don't want to. 

As an aside I was in Leeds on Saturday, and there was a notice on a bus saying "Bus drivers must not wear masks for health and safety reasons", quite probably the very same ones I cite. A mask only needs to move a couple of mm and it'll obstruct your vision enough to miss, say, someone coming out of a side road or a pedestrian. 

On our cabrank there are ten drivers working at the moment, none of whom are wearing masks. 

A really, really, really positive consequence of the requirement to wear masks in public (aside from suppressing the spread of diseases) has only just occurred to me. Some areas of France (not mine unfortunately) have now made it compulsory for everyone aged over 11 to wear masks at all times in all public places - even outdoors. 

This means that if someone wants to smoke a cigarette... they won't be able to! YES! :D:P

No more selfish smokers lighting up in inconsiderate places where other people have to breathe their smoke!

Maybe we'll have fewer cigarette butts dropped on the ground as a result, too.

13 hours ago, Eva Blue said:

@Anthracite_Impreza on another note,

Why don't you just report ppl who violate the rules? As long as you're not an a-hole about it, it wouldn't be that big of a deal imo.

Because its not mine, @Anthracite_Impreza, or the mods responsibilty to moderate your behaviour; its yours. The ToS are free for everyone to read. I understand tempers can flare, but its still your responsibilty to follow the rules and control yourself.

@Marrow I mean...I feel my behavior has been pretty fair.

And yes, ppl should follow ToS, but...ppl are human, some wont, so policing bad behavior doesn't  condone it. You say it isn't mods jobs to...moderate? They exist BECAUSE ppl will violate ToS and they make sure this site is (relatively) safe and respectful.

Reporting bad behavior is just that. It's not a playground fight, so my recommendation to report to mods if a user feels unsafe instead of just victimizing themselves is just...sensible.

1 hour ago, Moonman said:

Off-topic of course, but can you catch the virus from somebody's second-hand smoke or water vapour? I haven't seen many people vaping but surely there's an inherent danger in those plumes of vape smoke?

That's a good question actually. Since its vapor and not just smoke, it'd spread water droplets for a long way. (Especially how some a-holes I know think it's cool to blow billowing plume clouds around campus)

(Honestly, if this kills the vape industry I think that could be a good thing.) We were so close to ending commercial tobacco use in kids...and then this product came along with its lollipop/peach/candy-like flavours  and childish advertisement campaigns. A few classmates had vapes around when I was 14. Wack.

4 minutes ago, Eva Blue said:

this product came along with its lollipop/peach/candy-like flavours  and childish advertisement campaigns.

Yeah, the fact that vapes/juuls are flavored makes it so much worse cause it makes them a lot more appealing to people who are younger.

1 hour ago, Eva Blue said:

@Marrow I mean...I feel my behavior has been pretty fair.

And yes, ppl should follow ToS, but...ppl are human, some wont, so policing bad behavior doesn't  condone it. You say it isn't mods jobs to...moderate? They exist BECAUSE ppl will violate ToS and they make sure this site is (relatively) safe and respectful.

Reporting bad behavior is just that. It's not a playground fight, so my recommendation to report to mods if a user feels unsafe instead of just victimizing themselves is just...sensible.

That was my fault, I wasnt accusing you, but rather the people who engage in that behaviour.

Yes, people are people, but that isnt a viable excuse for poor behaviour; there's a level of responsibility that comes with what you say.

Yes, the mods do moderate, but there's still a level of self-moderation that should be done. Its like a janitor, we all know janitors clean up the floor, but we dont throw trash on the ground thinking "oh the janitor will get that".

3 hours ago, Moonman said:

Off-topic of course, but can you catch the virus from somebody's second-hand smoke or water vapour? I haven't seen many people vaping but surely there's an inherent danger in those plumes of vape smoke?

I did a quick google search of this and it seems that, yes, you can. Its the same as exhaling though, it isn't in the smoke itself,  but the droplets people release when they exhale.

17 minutes ago, Marrow said:

did a quick google search of this and it seems that, yes, you can. Its the same as exhaling though, it isn't in the smoke itself,  but the droplets people release when they exhale.

Yeesh 😬. Just another thing to look out for Haha.

1 minute ago, Eva Blue said:

Yeesh 😬. Just another thing to look out for Haha.

Well atleast there was already an incentive to avoid second hand smoke 😄

1 hour ago, Marrow said:

Yes, the mods do moderate, but there's still a level of self-moderation that should be done. Its like a janitor, we all know janitors clean up the floor, but we dont throw trash on the ground thinking "oh the janitor will get that".

On the base level, we don't even disagree lol.

Most ppl are mature and virtuous enough not to "litter", but for the few who do...its not good just to have trash lying around. So, we fine littering and hire janitors and garbage collectors (if we stay with this metaphor lol).

I was just suggesting to that user that if someone is really being as terrible as they had previously encountered, they should seek help and actually do something, not just go "oh, this site harbors TERRIBLE ppl :(. And I'll talk abt it...but not really report it" bc...it really doesn't have to.

As an example: Being born brown, was it fair that ppl called me a monkey? No.

Did it hurt,  and do I call similar actions out now? Yes.

Should I equate that racial insensitivity to when someone was just being a little mean or disagreeing with me? No.

Am I a bad person for going to my employer and filing a complaint for racial insensitivity? Obviously no lol.

And maybe it's not fair that racial prejudice exists, and maybe I shouldn't have to deal with that, but me seeking help doesn't equal me "liking drama" or makes me think "ppl shouldn't self moderate and I just want to get them in trouble" or I like "causing trouble for my employer". It just so happens that some ppl...are garbo! And we need a few nice janitors to deal with garbo. Lolol. You feel me?

@Eva Blue I feel you, glad we cou... wait...

2 hours ago, Eva Blue said:

It just so happens that some ppl...are garbo! And we need a few nice janitors to deal with garbo. Lolol. You feel me?

*dails 911*

"Yes hello i'd like to report a bully"

@Marrow I obviously meant the Moderators in that instance just to clear lol.

My whole rant was "hey, go to the appropriate authority figures with your problems. Dont ignore it out of some misguided attempt to appear cool".

In that other users, it's the mods, in mine, it was my boss... and...actually...SOME bullies should be under police custody. In my home town some kids pushed a mentally ill kid off a bridge to "bully" him. Only once the drop seemed...a bit high did anyone do anything. This kid is alive thankfully, but like...these kids where picking on him for months and oh it's just kids being kids...oh...maybe...maybe bullies should actually...be addressed?

Idk, that's just imo 

Masks have been mandatory in indoor public spaces here for a few days now, and I have not heard of any issues really. I saw one news story today, but it somehow also turned into a racist tirade rather than just about masks 🙄 But I haven't heard about any protests or big incidents for asking someone to use a mask. It is still early, but it gives me hope that people here are happy to respect the rules and do their part at this point. 

I think businesses can find it is also helpful. My friend works for a man who is quite the conspiracy theorist and definitely anti-mask, but he seems to have taken a turn because now it is much easier to have customers in the store more like usual rather than just doing curb-side pickup. 

[Ranting/joking] I'm anti-mask because I think it's a crock. You may believe but I don't. Or at least, isn't it at least possible that the govt is lying to the public about Corona? A beer, really? Just think about it anyway. What's next, the Bud virus, Coors virus, Gallo wine virus, Absolut virus??? Sun virus? What about the Age of Aquarius virus? Pisces virus? planet virus? earth wind and fire virus??? spaceship/rocket virus??? taking it to an extreme for effect.

But at the same time I liken it to going to a friend's house and they ask you to take your shoes off. Do I think it's ridiculous and they could just vacuum occasionally? sure. But I take my shoes off that time, and maybe avoid going to their house in the future. So if stores want me to wear a mask while in the store, I'll do that occasionally, and just get grocery pickup most of the rest of the time.

I can barely breathe in a mask, and sweating...why don't they pump up the a/c?  but the one bonus to me of wearing a mask is that I'm pretty much blinded by the mask. I feel like I have blinders on while wearing a mask. So if there's some advertising/brand they want me to see, I can't because of the stupid masks. Sorry, get rid of the mask requirement or your advertising is useless...

I’m surprised the media/government has never come up with a really scary name for a virus like “super killer virus” or “Black Death 2.0” just for some added scaremongering. I mean what kind of lame ass name is “Covid-19” or “swine flu” or “West Nile virus”?

Forest Spirit

Sure, let's also rename cancer as in the end it only means crab so nothing that scary (in German the word is literally the same)

Forest Spirit
10 minutes ago, Arodash said:

There are loads of things named different so as not to offend, like veal because im sure people would totally still love it  if it was called baby cow

Is baby cow offensive?

Forest Spirit
Just now, Arodash said:

I think the idea of eating a baby cow is XD

Offensive to whom? Just don't get the word, guess you mean that people would take issue with eating sth referred to as "baby"? But that's what they are/were

Usually the cows we eat are dairy cows that can’t produce milk anymore, while veal are the baby males which don’t have much other use. They can’t be used for meat in adulthood and there isn’t a need for sustaining an equal number of male and female adult cows in the beef industry. So if we don’t eat the baby male cows, they’d still be put down anyway. Considering what the female cows go through, living in cramped and often unsanitary spaces all their lives, being impregnated and reimpregnated for their milk, having their young taken away from them right after birth, until they’re finally killed for their meat, I think the baby male cows have the most merciful lifecycle out of all of them.

Forest Spirit
3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Yes basically. Offensive does not always mean insulting, it could simply mean unpleasant. Like and "offensive" smell, its not really insulting just unpleasant

Oh, I thought it just means insulting... good to know! Thanks

Forest Spirit
5 minutes ago, Mackenzie Holiday said:

Usually the cows we eat are dairy cows that can’t produce milk anymore, while veal are the baby males which don’t have much other use. They can’t be used for meat in adulthood and there isn’t a need for sustaining an equal number of male and female adult cows in the beef industry. So if we don’t eat the baby male cows, they’d still be put down anyway. Considering what the female cows go through, living in cramped and often unsanitary spaces all their lives, being impregnated and reimpregnated for their milk, having their young taken away from them right after birth, until they’re finally killed for their meat, I think the baby male cows have the most merciful lifecycle out of all of them.

Yeah... put that way it sounds less cruel. Even on the country side cows don't really have a great life

1 hour ago, Quasar.w said:

Do viruses need scary names?

A scared population is a more easily manipulated one so giving things scary sounding names would be in an oppressive government’s and their media puppet’s best interests.

Yeah I’m kind of a conspiracy theorist lol.

EmilyWritesSomeStuff

Anti maskers are just selfish. You wear a mask to protect others from getting COVID, not yourself. Some of those people you protect by wearing a mask are those who would not be ok if they got COVID, like the elderly and sickly. I'm so sick of all these uncaring people who can't deal with wearing a mask just because they don't like it when they are putting others at risk by not wearing it.

Thing is, some people in charge of pension funds, governments stuck with large pension bills etc could well be secretly hoping this virus does cause lots of premature deaths, because it may get rid of a lot of "black holes" in pension funds. Also people receiving inheritances where they were expecting all of an estate to go on care home fees will probably spend that money, stimulating the economy 

nanogretchen4

I don't think there's anything secret about it at this point. For months certain politicians have been openly saying, right out in public, that it would be okay, and maybe even a good thing, for some people to die for the economy. I guess we'll see how that works out for them in the next elections. The group of people who might as well die according to them has shifted and expanded, from people already on their death beds to retired people with up to twenty years of life expectancy, the disabled, and pretty much anyone the politicians hate.

Archived