Anti...maskers? Are real?? How?

Eva Blue

WHAT is their deal? Why do they exist? Why are they predominantly American? What part of their social climate could have lead to them thinking "Masks=oppression!YOU ARE OPPRESSING ME WITH A CLOTH" 

My dear Bros,brahs and ferals, how did preventing a deadly disease with a little peice of cloth get political??

There are some people on this site that are anti-maskers, so be prepared for that :ph34r:

I can't begin to grasp their logic personally. 😗 I don't think they'll change their minds though.

Just now, Eva Blue said:

@Elise Jennings

Oop 👀👀. Guess we'll see how this goes 😅.

Yeahhh 😅 But I agree with you, being anti-mask is stupid. It's not really that much of an inconvenience to wear a mask out in public.

Anti-maskers just don't like being told what to do, they act like stubborn children. I bet if the government told people not to wear masks, anti-maskers would become pro-mask over night!

@Moonman @xenonex ohh, so it's all to do with precieved personal freedoms?

...that's kinda silly lol. It's like being upset you can only drive on one side of the road and not both.

2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

because people are grown adults who dont like being told by a beaurocrat what to do.

The problem with people who think this way is that the advice isn't coming from stuffy politicians, it's coming from doctors and scientists. Wearing a mask has been proven to protect those around you. Not wearing a mask is like refusing to drink water because someone you don't like said it was healthy.

1 minute ago, Arodash said:

Its not advice anymore, people have a problem with it being implemented into law

Wearing a mask impacts those around you; it's illegal to assault someone so it makes sense that not wearing a mask would be illegal too. That said, I agree some of the recommendations are ridiculous, in England you can get your beard trimmed but you can't get your eyebrows done?? It feels like the blind are leading the blind

Just now, xenonex said:

It feels like the blind are leading the blind

It really does. No one really knows how to respond to this pandemic it seems. So some strange recommendations are coming through the pipe.

I was just like, wow shocked. I was watching a woman document the moment she got COVID to 2 weeks later on her deathbed and her sons where crying while she pleaded for ppl to wear masks and...ugh. it was so fucking sad. And the AUDACITY of the ppl in the comments?? Like "don't tell me what to do" or "#antimask #mybodymychoice" "proud antivaxx, proud antimask proud AMERICAN" and I was just...wow...not aware that this movement was real.

3 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Thats exactly my point, and not wearing a mask isnt the same as assault, now if you approach someone intentionally coughing on them, then theres an argument there

Accidentally killing someone is still a crime even more so if you had the ability to prevent the event from happening in the first place.

1 hour ago, Eva Blue said:

WHAT is their deal? Why do they exist? Why are they predominantly American? What part of their social climate could have lead to them thinking "Masks=oppression!YOU ARE OPPRESSING ME WITH A CLOTH" 

My dear Bros,brahs and ferals, how did preventing a deadly disease with a little peice of cloth get political??

People are dumb.

I'm not a scientist, a virologist nor an expert on corona virus (unlike many, many people) but I'm happy to wear a mask. There is no harm in it for me and it also makes those who firmly believe in masks feel more comfortable.

When it comes to anti-maskers, I have been told recently by a family member that it's a way of imposing sharia law on us (he calls it "creeping sharia") and it goes hand in hand with closing pubs and bars and so it's all a big cover-up. That's why he's an anti-masker.

A few other friends who aren't anti, but they dislike masks for comfort reasons but they wear them anyway.

8 minutes ago, Chloe88 said:

I have been told recently by a family member that it's a way of imposing sharia law on us (he calls it "creeping sharia") and it goes hand in hand with closing pubs and bars and so it's all a big cover-up. That's why he's an anti-masker.

Um?? That amount of paranoia is a bit concerning imo. 😅

As someone with Schizophrenic family members, I'd call our social worker to do a wellness check on them. No hate on your family member just...Haha wow.

Yes, thats my uncle. He's happy going to a packed pub and beach when there is no distancing and people shit all over the place, and he does not see any wrong in that, but as soon as he hears on the news that any muslims have broken social distancing, he blames them for the pandemic in England.

We've had good weather in England and people have crowded the beaches and behaving like idiots and he still blames muslims.

6 minutes ago, Moonman said:

There are people with medical exemptions that are being attacked, bullied and shamed for not wearing one: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/01/mask-face-coverings-i-cant-wear-one-health-reasons

My best buddy has asthma and has been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome. We hung out a few weeks ago and he said he couldn't wear one. He had shielded for weeks, he hadn't been outside his house for months. I, somebody without those challenges he faces, was going out every single day for daily exercise. He is routine-based appearance-wise, he only wears Dr. Martens shoes and Levi jeans, which I've assumed is part of his autism but I've never asked because I wouldn't like to bring attention to something he might feel self-conscious about. I'm sure that putting a face covering on is hard for him because of how much it drastically alters his appearance. I'm sure it can also feel like somebody is holding their hand over your mouth and nose, and for asthmatics any decrease in oxygen intake is also concerning and worrisome.

But one of you would see him in public with no mask on and judge him for something that is largely invisible to the naked eye...

We don't know what others are going through and we aren't going to help matters by insulting and attacking our fellow human beings during what is an unprecedented and difficult period of time even for perfectly healthy people with no history of mental illness.

Let's just be nice to one another please. :)

My sister has both asthma and autism and she wears a mask while she's at work just fine. My allergies are so bad that I have breathing problems and I wear a mask just fine. My brother who's autistic wears a mask just fine while he's out in public (which is rarely, but still). People who have health problems are the one's that should be wearing masks the most. If they need a quick breather, fine, but health problems isn't an excuse. Your best buddy is one of those people that needs to be protected the most.

3 minutes ago, Moonman said:

decrease in oxygen intake is also concerning and worrisome

This isn't true, masks don't affect air intake. An oxygen molecule is millions of times smaller than the large droplets that carry the virus and the tiny holes in fabric. Oxygen can pass though masks with no problem. Whilst your post highlights the need for better science lessons, it also (on a more serious note) highlights the need for better mental health support. My friend has anxiety and although she can reach her therapist over the phone, it's not the same as talking to someone face to face. This is partly why it's vital for people to wear masks so restrictions can be lifted and people can get the help they need as soon as possible.

@Moonman oh I'm thinking that's not antimask, that's just not being able to wear one! Lol. If you just can't, you can't, but you can still understand they're important for the rest of the 99% of ppl who can.

I don't equate it with being against masks bc...I guess...liberty or something? Free speech? I'm kinda lost even with some explanations haha

Right?! People are all about "their body their choice" until it comes to women or people of other religions. I saw a really good post somewhere that was like "if a bakery denies making cake for a gay couple's wedding, then they're told that's the bakery's right to do that. but as soon as the bakery denies serving people not wearing masks, it's infringing on the people's rights" Like no that's contradicting logic, the bakery still has the right don't change your words.

Anyway, I actually enjoy wearing masks because I think they look cool. Covid is absolutely awful, but I'd never had any reason to wear a cool ninja-esque mask in public without looking suspicious. So I don't mind it at all.

5 minutes ago, SmaragdineSpellCastor said:

People are all about "their body their choice" until it comes to women or people of other religions.

Exactly!

their saying that if women can say my body my choice in regards to abortion, they get to say to not wear a mask

you're* and they're* (sorry)

And women getting an abortion is only affecting the woman. Someone not wearing a mask is affecting everyone in their vicinity. As a person with shit lungs who if I get covid i'm fucked, screw everyone deciding not to wear a mask

I was simply explaining to you how these people view it, because they disagree with it only affecting the woman because its affecting the fetus and they view it as murder, agree or disagree I don't care I was just explaining how they percieve it

Let's please not bring the abortion argument up again. I don't want to hear it.

Im not bringing it up? Im explaining why anti mask people are saying my body my choice and you dont get to dictate to me

Was I dictating you? No. I was just saying that I don't want this to get off course like the Portland Protests thread did. And wearing mask is a different scenario anyways since not wearing a mask can effect so many people, not just one person.

It wasnt getting off course I was explaining the mindset of anti mask people with their reasoning. Im sorry you dont like that. 

*sigh* Nvm 🙃

Anthracite_Impreza

Yay more anti-mask bashing! It's almost as though this mask thing has grown into a moralistic high-horse cult...

I mean there are people who think that Earth is flat, stationary and a few thousand years old. There are people who think that dinos didn't exist and space is fake. There are anti-vaxers. There are people who think that Elvis is alive. There's this guy.

Anti-maskers are entirely unsurprising.

Yeaup, nevermind. if you didnt want to engage with me, dont respond to something I said to someone else

*sigh* 

I'm just getting frustrated cause I feel like it doesn't matter what I say to you cause you're just going to say something that's completely unnecessary or makes me want to bash my head against a wall.

It's just another symptom of people refusing to

a) listen to legitimate experts

and

b) make sacrifices to protect the well-being of others.

Archived