Airplane seat preferences

Mackenzie Holiday

What are your airplane seat preferences?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which seat do you prefer?

• Window
    • Middle
    • Aisle
  2. 2. Which class do you prefer?

• Coach
    • Business Class
    • First Class

This poll is closed to new votes

Mackenzie Holiday

Are there any other seat preferences you have that I missed?

Never been in anything other than coach, so I prefer cheapest since I heard 1st class isn't that great. (other than I think they have better/free WiFi?!)

I prefer window just because I'm never one that needs to get up unless something is seriously wrong. So I prefer being someone who doesn't have to move, even if I'm in the middle of 3 middle seats in a larger plane. (I once was. Wasn't that bad.)

Tbh I'm just happy if my fat ass actually comfortably fits in the needlessly narrow seats airplanes often have.

I prefer window just because I'm never one that needs to get up unless something is seriously wrong. So I prefer being someone who doesn't have to move, even if I'm in the middle of 3 middle seats in a larger plane. (I once was. Wasn't that bad.)

This too though.

Window seating for sure. Even on a long 15+ hour flight.

I'd rather walk over my neighbors sitting next to me or unfortunately wake them from their sleep, to get the views upon landing, especially if its a country I have never been to before.

Some of my best pictures, are of landings.

Also if you're getting the luck of catching a shot of the clouds breaking, and getting to see the ocean and a mountain range during a sunset. Certain types of natural beauty you just won't find on a post card.

I've never traveled on anything other than economy--even for business.

I guarantee you I'd love business, as I have long legs. But while I can afford to travel annually--doing so in the class I'd truly like, not so much. So my selection is just purely based on bias and not having any other choice.

I got the entire middle three seats in my last trip to Hong Kong (for obvious reasons).

Nothing beats laying down on a flight. First time in my life, a long haul flight was mostly slept in.

SpaceDustbin

For long flights definitely the window seat. On shorter ones I might op for the aisle seat, especially if I have to catch a bus. 

Never flew anything but coach

Window is fun if it's nice weather, otherwise I prefer the aisle.

Never been on business or 1st class. It's like 10 times more expensive than coach.

I'm quite tall so prefer to have a seat by the emergency exit. Also, sometimes you can get a whole row of seats for yourself if you choose a seat far back.

Window 

Standard class. Don't (k)need any more room. 

everywhere and nowhere

I prefer not to fly at all. I'm simply afraid of commercial flying, I always think that something might go wrong. It really doesn't help me to know that "flying is statistically the safest mode of transport" because if something does go (really) wrong, the chances of survival are the least in case of air transport. It is so terrifying for me to think what the passengers of the flight which ended with the Kabaty forest disaster (just a few kilometers from where I live) were going through before they died - they were travelling for over an hour in a burning plane, trying to return to their airport (they might have survived if the communist system, with its secrecy obsession, didn't bar the pilot from using a closer military airport instead). Kabaty Forest is also really just a few kilometers away from the airport now known as International Chopin Airport, the place they were trying to reach...

I have only travelled with an airplane seven times in my life: Warsaw-Moscow and back, Warsaw-Varna (Bulgaria) and back, Düsseldorf-Palma de Mallorca (I don't think I'll ever again go to a place that hot*) and back, and a flight with a small tourist airplane over the Polish coast. I could try something like the latter again - even if it might actually be statistically more dangerous, I internally perceive it as safer, probably because of much smaller altitude and shorter duration of flight. But I'd very strongly prefer to never fly a commercial jet again.

Plus, there are also environmental reasons for avoiding it... my primary motivation is simply anxiety, but at least my anxiety (and low income :() makes me contribute less to the climate catastrophe.

*"Fun" fact on the side - to use the opportunity to show that allergy is not some unserious teenie weenie illnessie: I can't even swim in the Mideterranean! The Baltic Sea was always OK for me because of its low salinity - but in case of the Mediterranean all scratches and wounds (and I always have them; as I have already written - I have never had an undamaged skin for the last 36 years) would burn and hurt so much because of the salt that I immediately jumped out of the water and ran along the beach to find the closest shower... :(

I prefer not to fly at all, for ecological as well as "mental" reasons. I'm afraid of heights and, consequently, flying. So it doesn't really matter what class I sit in while flying, I'll freeze up, close my eyes and try to keep breathing anyways - which is why I might as well take the cheapest class, and of course as far away from anything I can see how high up I am. 😜

Also I can second @Nowhere Girl's comment on the uselessness of facts and figures with these kinds of fears. Numbers for my rational thoughts can't overrule my reptile brain screaming "we're all gonna die!" either. 

fooledbysecrecy

window!! i like to try to sleep on flights and i hate it when i'm in the middle/aisle and people want to go to the toilet and i have to get up.* i also like to look out the window. the downside is when the plane has landed and i'm one of the twats who needs to get out IMMEDIATELY and the ppl on the other seats take their time.

*i only travel with low cost airlines in europe so idk maybe long haul planes have more room for this sort of thing?? same goes with class i always travel in the pleb class since it's the only one available 🤣 i think i've only ever been on a plane that even had a first class like once or twice??

oh man this made me miss travelling. even flying.

I'm a little scared of flying but each time I have, I've demanded the window seat. ☺️ I love the sights from so high.

On a short (<8 hour) flight either window or aisle, so long as I'm not squished between 2 strangers I don't care. On a long flight aisle because I want to be able to stretch out my legs and get up to exercise regularly without bothering other people, and business class because there's just more space to get comfy. Also I would never pay for business class so if I'm there it means that work is paying and extra comfort that I'm not paying for is great. I'm sure 1st is great but I've never been so don't know.

I haven't flown that many plane's but I usually prefer window, cause I like to see and explore. As for the rest, that doesn't mean much, as long as I can at least order a drink and or food at some point is where I decide where my money goes for tickets

I recently learned that if you sit in an aisle seat, you are most likely to get infected with viruses other people carry, because people touch the back of those chairs when they walk past. There is actual research into this. Its purpose is to carefully manage airflow to reduce risk of infection. 

Spoiler

But also I just like to look at the clouds, so window.

I love looking out of the window, especially during takeoff and landing... but I hate climbing over people so always go for aisle these days 🐧✈️

I’ve flown business twice (paid for by my employer). It’s amazing, but I’m not convinced it’s worth 2-3+ the price of economy or premium economy.

I prefer those that get me from A to B.

SpaceDustbin
2 hours ago, fooledbysecrecy said:

*i only travel with low cost airlines in europe so idk maybe long haul planes have more room for this sort of thing??

Now that's a good joke... 😛. It depends on the airline - some have a tad more space than others, but usually not by much. 

And for some reason Al Italia has more legroom for the short (<4 hour) European flights than on their transatlantic 13h+ flights, which is not overly comfortable. I already have problems with KLM planes, even though those seem to have slightly more legroom than Al Italia in general

Leg room is a big deal for me, as is personal space. I got to fly first class once or twice and that was great, but hard to justify the cost. I do often pay the extra bit some airlines charge for seats with a bit more leg room in non-first class seating. One airline had a thing where they made the middle seat of 3 a sort of separation, that was good. Really, for me, if I can afford the price anything that increases space is good. And if I happen to get lucky and don't have someone sitting next to me that's awesome. :) 

I don't really care too much about window vs aisle (lean more towards window), but really avoid the middle seat.

Grumpy Alien

What seat I prefer depends on the flight and how many seats are in each row.

Why would I prefer economy?

I said window and first class. But if it’s a long flight, aisle might be preferable since it’s easier to get up and less likely I’ll sleep through snacks. I’d be concerned if anyone actually said middle. I rarely fly first class. Usually economy plus and sometimes just the cheapest possible economy seat. I’m not sure if I’ve ever even flown in business class. 🤔

I have never been on a flight with different classes of ticket but that might be as of the 4 plane journeys I have taken, the longest was Amsterdam. 

I went with coach and aisle seat

Aquatic Paradox

Aisle seat so I don't get squished.

The seat at maximum distance from all crying babies with no neighbours or ones I don't notice at all.

Aquatic Paradox
38 minutes ago, timewarp said:

The seat at maximum distance from all crying babies with no neighbours or ones I don't notice at all.

How much extra are you willing to pay if it means not hearing crying babies?

I kind of just hate flying in general. The air pressure changes screw with my ears and my legs get all cramped from sitting too long and the lack of ample space. Though on long flights, a window seat is nice because you have something to lean against.

I've only ridden twice, so I don't feel I know the jargon well enough to answer.

Because I am tall (nearly two meters, six foot six), seating on aircraft and other forms of public transport can be extremely problematic and uncomfortable for me.

For short haul, I try to get an emergency exit seat even if I have to pay extra for it. I prefer aisle seat to window, because I feel less cramped and I don’t like having to ask a stranger to move to let me get out.

For long haul, I used to go economy when I was younger and had less money, but when I went on a vacation to the west coast of the USA a few years ago which was a ten hour flight, I just thought “to hell with it, I’m going to buy business class tickets”.

I found that it does make the whole overall experience of flying long haul much more pleasant (or maybe I should say much less unpleasant) than doing it on the cheap. On board the aircraft you get the spacious seat which can go entirely flat and there is loads and loads of leg room, but it’s not just that which makes it nicer. In the airports you don’t have to wait in line for anywhere near as long because you get priority check in, priority through security, priority boarding, and whilst waiting to board you can sit in a lounge which is far more comfortable and relaxed than the main concourse of the departure area. I would find it extremely tough to now go back to economy on long haul flights having got used to that.

One thing that I find slightly perplexing and which mildly amuses me is this current craze where airlines offer priority boarding (at a price, of course). I just wonder, what’s the point? The plane can’t go anywhere until everybody has boarded, and everyone takes off and gets there at the same time! I can’t really understand why there is even demand for it. Something I would be interested in however (which no airline currently offers as far as I know) is priority disembarkation, and a system where your hold luggage arrives at the baggage reclaim first. That might be worth paying a few bucks extra for.

i hate touching people (especially if i don't know them) I'm a germophobe, so planes gross me out as well. Flying just isn't my thing because of this.

One thing that I find slightly perplexing and which mildly amuses me is this current craze where airlines offer priority boarding (at a price, of course). I just wonder, what’s the point? The plane can’t go anywhere until everybody had boarded, and everyone takes off and gets there at the same time!

A number of people feel really uneasy at airports until they are physically on their plane.  My mom is very much like this; she becomes downright unpleasant to associate with at an airport because of the stress level she achieves whenever she's at one, and it never gets better until she's seated on the plane.  Before then, a constant fear of somehow missing the flight weighs on her.

Logistically speaking though, I completely agree with you.  Never saw much of a point in such a system personally.

Archived