What do you do when you see wrong spelling on advertisement posters or banners?

Soul Searcher

What do you do when you see wrong spelling on advertisement posters or banners?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do when you see wrong spelling on advertisement posters or banners?

• I hate it and curse the idiot who did not think about proofreading twice.
    • I ignore it and walk away. It's not like I was the one wrote it.

This poll is closed to new votes

Soul Searcher

I absolutely hate it. Especially when it's pretty common words.

Since English is not the major language here, I could at- least tolerate it. But seriously? 

And I hate it even more when it's done in our mother-tongue. It's like people don't care about what they are saying in their haste to say it.

I don't know about hatred or cursing, but it is pretty cringe.

Both?

In Japan it's frequent, so I snicker and move on, saying that they have a bunch of free labor with all the ALTs in their schools who could run by it. 

But if I'm in the states, I hate it. Find it lazy and a bad reflection on the company who let it go through. 

21 minutes ago, consequent sentiment said:

you have a good chuckle

Same here. I laugh at it and walk away.

Luftschlosseule

Cringe. Especially in that case: We had a Chinese restaurant we liked and visited a few times, and they were clearly not native German speakers and there was a grammatical error on a board. So my problem was not with the restaurant people, but the people who printed the sign and didn't offer any advice despite seeing the error.
It was pretty obvious so I never thought they themselves didn't realise.

SpaceDustbin

Laugh at it usually. One of the most hilarious ones I remember was from an advert from a butcher that was trying to sell konijnenbouten in pruimensaus (rabbit legs in plum sauce), but they added a space; konijnen bouten in pruimensaus, which translates to.... "rabbits farting in plum sauce" 😂 

(bouten is also one of the more crude ways to say fart in Dutch, so that made it even better 😛

Depends what it is. I’m more likely to be in the chuckle camp than hate it, though.

Back at the end of the 1980s, I came across someone from the Toronto Transit Commission standing on a street corner, giving away free posters. The picture was lovely: a red rocket tram in front of buildings on Harbourfront. Only after I accepted the poster did I realise why they were giving them away; there was a misplaced apostrophe. (Corrected versions then appeared across the city.)

I loved the poster. I love the associations it has (I wrote my master’s thesis about the development of Harbourfront). I kept the poster...which is now framed and on display in my hallway.

So, here’s another option to add to ‘hate’ and ‘ignore’, ‘cringe’ and ‘chuckle’: get it framed and put it on display.

Soul Searcher
28 minutes ago, Luftschlosseule said:

Cringe. Especially in that case: We had a Chinese restaurant we liked and visited a few times, and they were clearly not native German speakers and there was a grammatical error on a board. So my problem was not with the restaurant people, but the people who printed the sign and didn't offer any advice despite seeing the error.
It was pretty obvious so I never thought they themselves didn't realise.

That's  the biggest problem. People who are in the business being careless. Most of the time it's not the people who are running the business. And they don't  know until it's been printed. And by that time, it's too late to do anything but to accept things.

Soul Searcher
17 minutes ago, SpaceDustbin said:

Laugh at it usually. One of the most hilarious ones I remember was from an advert from a butcher that was trying to sell konijnenbouten in pruimensaus (rabbit legs in plum sauce), but they added a space; konijnen bouten in pruimensaus, which translates to.... "rabbits farting in plum sauce" 😂 

(bouten is also one of the more crude ways to say fart in Dutch, so that made it even better 😛

Lol. Did the butcher even know what he was coming forth as?

Nuffink 

Soul Searcher
15 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Nuffink 

Lol

I am very particular about spelling and grammar so it bothers me to no end. 😬

I saw one this very morning! “Pubic” instead of “Public”. Most unfortunate 🤣

I make fun of it and become an annoying grammar nazi.

It doesn't bother-bother me but I find it hilarious. Yes I am one of THOSE people.

29 minutes ago, Iam9man said:

I saw one this very morning! “Pubic” instead of “Public”. Most unfortunate 🤣

Pubic service is important... but yeah, can't trust the business if they can't even spell what their (TM) doing

Laugh, and text a photo to the editors in my family. 

Grumpy Alien

I will point it out to everyone I know whenever it’s vaguely relevant talk about it for several minutes, only stopping to avoid losing every friend I have. 😬

Soul Searcher
8 hours ago, CBC said:

Cringe, harshly judge whoever did the shoddy printing/manufacturing job, and take a photo to share on social media for the purposes of public shaming, like a good pedant. Whilst also silently and smugly thanking them for bringing some much-needed joy to my day.

Well, I don't go for public shaming because clicking a photo and then posting it on social media is too much for my lazy body to handle.

Also, no social media account to post it on.

• 11 months later...

@Brainiac

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived