White Privilege

GingerRose

-  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Does White Privilege Exist in America?

• Yes
    • No

Yes or no?

It doesn't have to be with every situation, even just one situation.

This is part of why I think America has it:

8a6701683c3e4d1096379e2034c0f3d0.gif

Or me being three times less likely to be hurt or killed during police encounters ( I don't have the link to the study at the moment but I can find it if anyone wants it). I'm white by the way. 

Yes, it exists.

Also, relevant:

white-privilege-768x532.jpg

andreas1033
1 minute ago, RebelScum said:

Or me being three times less likely to be hurt or killed during police encounters ( I don't have the link to the study at the moment but I can find it if anyone wants it). I'm white by the way. 

Your just promoting a very selective idea of stats.

Lets just ignore that white people are less likely to be violent in interacting with police.

What do you expect police to just be violent with everyone.

Police in america, are trained to be be mirrors to those they meet. Thats about as good as a police person can be trained. That means, if a person is respectful to them, they should mirror it back to the person. But if the person is violent towards the police, then the police officer is trained to mirror that violence towards that person who ever they are.

More white people are killed unfairly by police then black people. Meaning a person unarmed, being shot and killed by a police officer in usa.

2 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

Lets just ignore that white people are less likely to be violent in interacting with police.

Proof please or I'm not taking this claim seriously. 

3 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

More white people are killed unfairly by police then black people.

This may be in absolute numbers but you can't compare them directly. You have to use percentages. And African Americans are three times as likely to be killed or injured by police in America. This isn't selective or wishful thinking. As I said this is provable fact. 

andreas1033
10 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

white-privilege-768x532.jpg

My life was ruined by uk gov for being born of irish parents, in london during the troubles.

My life has been ruined every single day for 28 years.

Find one black person that was followed around like me, and ruining there life like mine. There is none. There is no black person who has had to live with what i had to live with for now 28 years, for no reason, other then uk/usa gov targeting my life for there fun.

My life proved that white people have no privilege.

There is only a rich peoples privilege. What about michael jackson getting away with being a paedo? What about oj simpson getting away with being a murderer. Both black, but they shared that common thing, being rich.

There is only rich persons privilege in this world.

there is no white people privilege. There is enormous amounts of white people in america, that are dirt poor and have no privilege or way out of that situation.

Poor people have always found it hard. Black poor people want to claim its because they are black. No, its hard for all poor people to get out of bad areas, and life situations. Black people just want to pretend that white people get out of it, by doing nothing. No, white people have to do everything they can just to get out of it, just like every other colour of sin person.

This black people are victims stuff is only in our lifes, becuase it is a way for a load of people to make money out of it.

Ask about all the white country aid sent to africa, and ask where it all goes.The answer, its stolen by black rich families in africa, through corruption, and the very poorest do not get food or anything from it, mostly.

All this nonsense about black people being victims, is just a massive money maker, for aload of people. Thats all it is.

There is no white privilege in america. Ask the millions of absolute dirt poor white people living in american slums.

12 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

There is enormous amounts of white people in america, that are dirt poor and have no privilege or way out. 

Whites are less likely to live in poverty than black people. It's a fact that I can prove. Once again you keep making claims that you just don't support with any facts.

It is a shame that you've been hounded and harassed by government operatives but at least you haven't been shot or strangled to death. I would say that makes the experience of individuals like George Floyd,Eric Garner, or even Emmet Till just a little worse than your own. 

24 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

But if the person is violent towards the police, then the police officer is trained to mirror that violence towards that person who ever they are.

the police shouldn't be mirrors. Police need to be able to deescalate else they end up killing a lot more people (i know its harder in a country with guns). In no way should somebody being rude to a police officer make them more likely to be hurt or killed 

20 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

More white people are killed unfairly by police then black people. Meaning a person unarmed, being shot and killed by a police officer in usa.

I think this is true. The problem is that you can't look at flat numbers.

I'm going to be pulling these numbers out of the air right now, so please don't hold me to them. They're not true, just numbers.

If white people make up 55% of the US population, fairness would see them being kill or harmed by police around 55% of the time police harm or kill someone.

If black people make up 20% of the US population, fairness would see them being killed or harmed 20% of the total number.

BUT if white people are killed/harmed 40% of the time and black people are killed/harmed 30% of the time, 40% > 30%, but it's still not proportionate. Meaning black people are more likely to be killed/harmed even if white people are killed/harmed more often. Does that make sense? 

-

For the record, I wish the amount of times police killed people were zero, and harmed them near zero (I understand sometimes violence is necessary and people often make things worse for themselves so the police officer is doing their job even if the person is harmed in the process). 

27 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

More white people are killed unfairly by police then black people

yeah but per capita black people are killed far more often. if around 60% of the population had the same number of deaths to police as 13% of the population there is a clear issue

20 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

your life has been hard i won't deny that but we aren't looking at individuals here. We can only look at the trends

24 minutes ago, Arodash said:

You dont know them, you dont know their experiences and you dont know where they are from

So if we are to consider white privilege from the logic of the above statement then if one person has experienced white privilege then you have to admit it exists. By making it an individual or case by case basis you've considerably weakened your position that it is racist to use the term white privilege. 

Scholium: all I have to do to refute a universal statement ( white privilege doesn't exist, implied in the above quote) is to provide a single counter example. 

22 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

My life was ruined by uk gov for being born of irish parents, in london during the troubles.

My life has been ruined every single day for 28 years.

Find one black person that was followed around like me, and ruining there life like mine. There is none. There is no black person who has had to live with what i had to live with for now 28 years, for no reason, other then uk/usa gov targeting my life for there fun.

"My life sucked in the UK and I don't think black people have to go through the same thing, so white people aren't privileged in the US."

(how I'm translating your post)

You mentioned the US gov, but it's a pretty well known thing that Irish people aren't as discriminated against in the US than in the UK. Not to say you likely had it good, but probably that your race had less to do with it in the US.

25 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

I've been bullied for having a super white toned skin...

racism against white people exists for sure and in some countries where white people are a minority you might even see systemic racism and oppression of white people. I'm going to assume you live in the US as you're talking about your experiences in relation to white privilege in the US. White privilege is a result of systemic racism rather than just somebody being racist to you 

32 minutes ago, Arodash said:

racist.

There is a difference between racism and discrimination. This type of discrimination is the idea of looking at two things differently, not using prejudice or antagonism against another person because of their race. What do you think of the photo in the first post, is this an example of white privilege or not? You can still think it's racist at the end of the this discussion. I'm not trying to push you either way, I'm just trying to get people to think. Thinking, a dangerous act these days.

1 minute ago, grez said:

racism against white people exists for sure and in some countries where white people are a minority you might even see systemic racism and oppression of white people. I'm going to assume you live in the US as you're talking about your experiences in relation to white privilege in the US. White privilege is a result of systemic racism rather than just somebody being racist to you 

*points at location*

<---

The bullying was by other people of same color.

MakeupJunkie4
10 minutes ago, grez said:

your life has been hard i won't deny that but we aren't looking at individuals here

A lot of people don't understand the difference between individual experiences and the overall picture. There are white slavery rings in the US. Some white people are or have been slaves - but was it white people who were once ONLY slaves in the US? No. This doesn't mean white people who are victims of trafficking aren't important (of course they are) - but that's not the issue we're discussing. There is a definite bias against people of color in general, even if you personally have been picked on or treated unfairly as a white person.

36 minutes ago, Arodash said:

The idea of assigning a privledge based on someone's skin color is extremely racist. You dont know them, you dont know their experiences and you dont know where they are from

Saying white privilege exists isn't a judgement of a person's character based off their skin colour, Its an acknowledgement of the flaws in society.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

The idea of white privilege is a extremely racist and dangerous concept that has come out of the far left, the fact it is being accepted by mainstream liberals is very disturbing. The sooner people start treating each other as people and not by their race the better. You can't solve racism with more racism.

32 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

white toned skin

This has happened to me as well. I've been harassed for being white and made fun of. It's awful when bullying and harassment like this occurs.

White privilege doesn't mean that this behaviour doesn't happen, it just takes into account some situations and how they impact white people differently than other races.

34 minutes ago, Arodash said:

The idea of assigning a privledge based on someone's skin color is extremely racist. You dont know them, you dont know their experiences and you dont know where they are from

That's just idiotic! It's not racist, it's facts. I've gone through some tough stuff in my life, BUT it wasn't because I was white. White people can go through some tough shit, but it's not because they're white. White privilege exists. To say it doesn't is ignorant. I don't have to worry about getting attacked for being white.

Just now, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

The idea of white privilege is a extremely racist and dangerous concept that has come out of the far left, the fact it is being accepted by mainstream liberals is very disturbing. The sooner people start treating each other as people and not by their race the better. You can't solve racism with more racism.

1 minute ago, Phoenix the II said:

*points at location*

lol mb 

like it sucks you were bullied for being pale but if we look at the overall picture i would be surprised if black people didn't experience more bullying for their skin colour than people who are pale.  

I think people are getting offended just by the idea of discriminating between races for the reason of understanding racism. Discrimination in this situation isn't racism. Just because you say this situation happens to black people and this other situation happens to white people isn't racism. It's discriminating in order to solve a problem. That's how I see it. Once again, this is not to push you to believing it exists or it doesn't. This is here to provoke thought.

4 minutes ago, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

You can't solve racism with more racism.

its not racist to critique society and the institutions which systematically oppress certain groups of that society

1 minute ago, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

Trying to reduce a social problem to a moral/individual problem is a trick the right wing has proffered as a solution to everything. It's kind of an inverted Category mistake. 

7 minutes ago, grez said:

person's character based off their skin colour, Its an acknowledgement of the flaws in society.

You're very good at explaining words that I can't seem to form. Thank you for this.

8 minutes ago, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

dangerous concept that has come out of the far left

no hate but i think we would be better served by leaving politics out of the debate for the moment. Party politics shouldn't play a part in determining the existence of something. The role of politics in a debate like this is what should be done were it agreed that white privilege exists. Bringing politics into the debate will likely just cause people to take sides and block out the other side's arguments without considering them.

I know this happens because I often find myself guilty of unfairly dismissing views that come from a political party i disagree with 

Theacechemist

White privilege is not a racist term, as many others have said it shows/highlights the systematic issues in US society. I’m white so it means that I wasn’t denied acceptance to Vanderbilt because of my skin color, it also means that I am able to speed or maybe drive through an intersection a bit too late without being pulled over at all, if I do get pulled over I am less likely to be asked to get out of my car and less likely to have a violent interaction with the police. It also means that I can go biking in my neighborhood and ones around it without being followed or hurt, it means that I can walk outside at night and not have the police follow me. It means that when I do anything the color of my skin has no negative effect on my life. (just to be ABSOLUTELY CLEAR I am trying to give examples to help prove that it exists, I am NOT saying that white privilege is a good thing) 

Anthracite_Impreza

I've been through a hell of a lot of shit in my life, but thankfully I've never had to worry about discrimination on my race because I am Dracula-pale. That's all "privilege" is; you have the privilege to not have to worry about that particular facet of yourself (I also have able-bodied privilege, but experience systematic discrimination due to being autistic, trans and not straight ("single", in the eyes of the law).)

Archived