Nonbinary

GingerRose

Men have a stereotypical culture in society. So do women. Do nonbinary people?

I think that's a too generalised question to have a clear answer to. The answer would depend on whether we are talking about the physically non-binary, those with intersex conditions or anomalies of sexual development, those who physically appear binary, but dress, behave and identify in a manner which differs from their binary stereotype. Culture also comes into play. Different cultures have different interpretations of binary/non-binary, so they may not even have stereotypes. 

The book "Intersex" by Dr Catherine Harper includes studies on how different cultures treat non-binary people 

Nonbinary stereotypes: Under 30, AFAB, pretty, fashionably butch but not uncomfortably butch. 

3 hours ago, grez said:

bit late to the party here but one stereotype is that they are all androgynous 

Oo, that is a weird one, I haven't heard that one!

3 hours ago, grez said:

bit late to the party here but one stereotype is that they are all androgynous 

Would that term fit more with people who are bigender instead? I haven't heard that term much before.

5 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Would that term fit more with people who are bigender instead?

i mean the point is that they don't have to conform to the stereotype

On 7/29/2020 at 10:09 AM, KiraS said:

Nonbinary stereotypes: Under 30, AFAB, pretty, fashionably butch but not uncomfortably butch. 

Dont forget white. 

Questioning my take on my own gender and realizing I can't find any resources for nonbinary poc and the only rep as thin afab 20-somethings soft butchs as you said (nothing wrong with nbs like that. Just that that's all ya get).

Its so divorced from me that I'm playing with the idea of just calling myself 2 spirit, even if I feel like it fits a bit less lol.

6 hours ago, Eva Blue said:

Dont forget white. 

Questioning my take on my own gender and realizing I can't find any resources for nonbinary poc and the only rep as thin afab 20-somethings soft butchs as you said (nothing wrong with nbs like that. Just that that's all ya get).

Its so divorced from me that I'm playing with the idea of just calling myself 2 spirit, even if I feel like it fits a bit less lol.

There's really not much positive representation of queer/trans POC in popular culture generally.

• 5 months later...
Alaska Native Manitou

its-pat.jpg

Archived