"Are Aces LGBTQIA+?" Masterpost

LeChat
Message added by LeChat,

Hi, everyone.

Let's all, please, remember to be welcoming to new members of all ages and nationalities (e.g. English isn't some members' first language) and treat them with kindness and respect.

They're new and might be unfamiliar with asexuality, demisexuality, etc., still trying to learn about these things, and/or about how to use the site, its features, etc.

Please, remember the TOS and refrain from personal insults/accusations, like troll calling, sock accounts, etc.

Thank you.

LeChat,

Welcome Lounge, Announcements, and Alternate Language moderator

Merged "asexuality and lgbt…" with this thread

FJO8

moderator for JFF and QaA

• 4 weeks later...

I think I never cared for inclusion in LGBTQ since, naturally, sexuality is such a strong component in that community, which simply does not hold an interest for me... I feel the same discomfort and non-belonging around LGBTQs discussing queerness themes as I do around straight people talking about all the sex they've had.

I DO want more visibility and GOD more understanding for aces, but I'm just not sure the LGBTQ community is the best place for that to hapen in an organic way.

Hope what I said wasn't offensive to anyone, first time here.,,

• 2 months later...
Frameshift07
On 1/1/2024 at 8:00 AM, Zatara said:

I think I never cared for inclusion in LGBTQ since, naturally, sexuality is such a strong component in that community, which simply does not hold an interest for me... I feel the same discomfort and non-belonging around LGBTQs discussing queerness themes as I do around straight people talking about all the sex they've had.

I DO want more visibility and GOD more understanding for aces, but I'm just not sure the LGBTQ community is the best place for that to hapen in an organic way.

Hope what I said wasn't offensive to anyone, first time here.,,

That's fair and it is alienating when most queer communities and appearances in media are allonormative (and even if there is aro/ace rep, there are usually misconceptions around what it means to be aro and/or ace), but then again: the T and I don't relate directly to sexual attraction either and they are still included, and we're just as much a sexual/romantic minority as others in the LGBTQ+ space when compared to non-"GSRM" folks. I personally prefer GSRM (Gender, Sexual and Romantic Minorities) when referring to people like ourselves since it is not ambiguous; most of us are not gonna argue that, generally speaking, we are not minorities in society. It's obvious we are, else this site would not exist. It encompasses the essence of our existence as minorities, than relying on an acronym that is already too long to include everyone off the bat, and yet keeps getting longer as we learn about the identities people can have. 

Footnote: I appreciate the history of the classic acronym, especially how lesbians got a front seat as L. But I still stand by GSRM for its aforementioned inclusiveness.

• 2 weeks later...
Silver_edge

Yes. Asexuality can be misunderstood, discriminated against, or even just not heard about, so absolutely.

42 minutes ago, Silver_edge said:

Yes. Asexuality can be misunderstood, discriminated against, or even just not heard about, so absolutely.

That's what defines being LGBTQIA+ for you?

• Like 1
Sarah-Sylvia

It's a queer sexual identity

• Like 1
Silver_edge

I am aware. While that is a part of my experience, that does not mean that it is the only part. I think of it all as a puzzle, of sorts. Being misunderstood, harassed is part of that puzzle. There are more pieces, though. It is a part of it, but I never said it was the whole thing.

• Like 2
Olallieberry
7 hours ago, FJO8 said:

That's what defines being LGBTQIA+ for you?

It's pretty much what defines ignorance, discrimination and queerbashing, so...

23 hours ago, Olallieberry said:

It's pretty much what defines ignorance, discrimination and queerbashing, so...

Had you actually bothered to read below that, you would see what I meant.  Also, don't assume you know my lifestyle because you have read ONE post