Hello from a newbie!

Nins

Hello from France! 

I'm a newbie, although no spring chicken. 😉 in my 40's, married with one child.

I have always been different about sex and looking over my dating history every relationship has followed the same pattern. I always thought there was something wrong with me up until recently when I stumbled across an article about asexuality and had that "ahhh haaa" moment like I'm sure many older asexuals have had. My husband doesnt cope with it very well and at the moment is pressuring me into going to see a sex therapist. The idea of it already feels traumatic to me, someone trying to fix me into being sexual. I dont want to be fixed because I dont feel broken, I'm perfectly happy with the way i am. I havent told him I think I'm asexual, I want to learn more about it first before I go making any statements. 

I'm looking forwards to getting support from other married people who may be going through the same stuff as myself. It feels such a relief to know I'm no longer alone with this. 

Aquatic Paradox

Welcome to AVEN, since it's traditional to present new people with cake and since you're french, you might like this croissant cake:

letterbox_Chocolate_croissant_loaf_772x4

Or you might call it blasphemy...

Anyway, there's no age limit when it comes to realising you're asexual and it might be worth informing your husband that you are not unique in this respect.

33 minutes ago, iCicero said:

Welcome to AVEN, since it's traditional to present new people with cake and since you're french, you might like this croissant cake:

Yum! Thankyou for the cake, I feel 10 pounds heavier just looking at it! 😅 

Hi and welcome! I have made a similar self discovery recently and found my way here. I'm 46 years old and have been married for 24 with a son. My wife actually pointed me to look into asexuality. And the 2 weeks since have been an insane emotional rollercoaster. Like you, it seemed like a big ahhh haaa moment for me and explained years and years of trying to "fix" myself to no avail. My wife is a hopeless romantic so this has all been very very hard for her to deal with. I don't blame her. I wish I had had this self discovery so long ago! Lots of other complicating factors in our life. I hope having a better understanding of myself will enable us to finally move forward in some fashion. I hope your husband can be understanding! I read "The Invisible Orientation" and highly recommend it!

ube-cake-roll-1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Ace Runner said:

"The Invisible Orientation" and highly recommend it!

Thanks for the cake and the book recommendation. I just found it on Amazon and ordered. Maybe I'll leave it lying around in hope that my husband will pick it up and we can start a conversation about it without me having to find that awkward moment! Thanks for reaching out, it's nice to hear about this from another married persons experience. 

50 minutes ago, Nins said:

Thanks for the cake and the book recommendation. I just found it on Amazon and ordered. Maybe I'll leave it lying around in hope that my husband will pick it up and we can start a conversation about it without me having to find that awkward moment! Thanks for reaching out, it's nice to hear about this from another married persons experience. 

I bought the Kindle version, but physical copy would be nice to share after finished. A lot of good information! My wife has been supportive but also wants answers and strategies now which is hard. Takes some time to process!

Welcome! Or should I say Bienvenue? I’m afraid my French is a bit rusty these days :P 

chocolate-chocolate+cake.jpg

That's ok! My English is fluent. I'm duel nationality. 😉 

Thankyou for the cake and for the bienvenue In French. 

NickyTannock

A belated welcome to AVEN!

I'm glad that you don't feel wrong or alone anymore.

Unfortunately, from what I understand, a lot of therapists don't accept asexuality, so I could see them trying to make you sexual.

If you want to know more about asexuality, there's a short book that you can read online for free: http://www.asexualityarchive.com/book/

Incidentally, it is a tradition here to welcome new members by offering cake, and here's a "Les Misérables" cake,

https://cakesdecor.com/cakes/59755-les-miserables

qdjbqyf8zc0bcx1jsvml.jpg

Thankyou for the welcome, the cake and the good vibes. 😉

I will read the link you sent me. This is all new for me ( not the situation but the discovery of asexual ) so all the info possible is welcome! 

NickyTannock

You're welcome! And I hope you find the book useful!

Archived