What part of your identity is the most important to you?

Violet of the Stars

Which part of your identity is the most important to you?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which part of your identity is the most important to you?

• Sexual identity
    • Romantic identity
    • Gender identity
    • I don't have a specific label I identify with most

This poll is closed to new votes

Violet of the Stars

I've always wondered what label people most identify with between gender, romantic and sexual identity. I can imagine the responses would be different for every person!

For me, I've always identified with my aromanticism more than my asexuality. Personally, romance has been a bigger part of my life than sex ever has. It was pretty much what led me here in the first place. I just identify as asexual by proxy, really. That and the definition fits me. I wouldn't be shocked if I ended up experiencing sexual but not romantic attraction as I got older though.

ace bookdragon

It's hard for me to tell because I'm questioning my gender and I don't know my romantic orientation yet (I think I'm arospec though). I guess at the moment I identify as asexual more than anything else, since it's something I am completely certain of.

Tbh at this point I might probably be a sexual woman who hasn't awoken yet. So I don't care. I don't really identify anymore, those labels there only represent what I have felt so far.

If anyone asked me for my identity the honest answer would be "I don't know yet, let's wait until my first relationship. Experience is better than theory and fantasy"

My romantic identity (biromantic) has had a larger impact on my life so far because it has applied to more situations, but being asexual is still a big part of my identity.

Galactic Turtle

I'd say my lack of romantic attraction has had the most impact on my life. If there is a normative script one is expected to follow, being aromantic derailed me from it the earliest and the most obviously. It has also had the greatest impact on my relationships with other people and the social context in which I'm viewed in. 

The demi part of me (romantic and sexual) is the most important to me because of how much it's had an impact on my life. I've only ever been romantically attracted to 3 people and sexually attracted to 1. It's had a big effect on my relationships.

NickyTannock

My sexual identity is the most important to me, as people assume my romantic identity from it, and I wasn't aware of my gender identity for most of my life.

I don't really feel strongly about any of those things. I guess I never really thought about them until recently so I don't consider my sexuality part of my identity at the moment. 🤔

Anomaly Q3Xr

They are all important to me, though people calling me "sir" gets to me more than assuming my sexual orientation.

My sexual (asexual) orientation is second most important.

My romantic orientation tends to fluctuate a bit, even I don't know that some of the time.  I generally identify as androromantic though.

Sarah-Sylvia

I don't think of my sexual identity like I do gender. Sexually, I just am how I am, I don't really care too much how I am. But gender is very important, and I guess having felt suppressed so much regarding it, I feel how important it is to me, which is very. Definitely the most important of those 4, and romantic being second because I love romance and love, and more.

But in the end, the most important is .. the whole me :P

No "labels" here.

It's a tie between "Homertown FC supporter" and "from Homertown".

I often explain my actions or rationale with a (semi) sarcastic, "Because I'm Alex." I feel that my singular identity is greater than the sum of its parts, and don't hold one aspect in a more prominent position over the other. Being gay is part of being me as much as being a cisgender demisexual male who plays piano and loves the mountains and space sciences.

fooledbysecrecy

I guess the sexual identity since that's the only one I'm sure about

Sexual and romantic identity equally, I guess, gender identity not that much at all. 

A part of why this is important to me at the moment is probably that it's all fairly new for me, as identity and labels go.

Aquatic Paradox

Maintaining my sanity is most important to me.

None really, they've all changed through the years 

The most important thing is just that I'm me, so in that regard, none of these. But I have to deal with more things because of my gender identity, and it's more upsetting to me if people don't get it and I can't be out to them in that regard than about being aro ace, so I voted for gender.

There are an important labels of my identity. But they're neither of that three.

They’re all important, since they are parts of me. I sometimes feel like I have to cut myself up into 3 different parts at times. I’m aro ace and agender. I do feel my gender might play more of a role in my life than being aro ace. They’re still important, though. 

• 11 months later...

@Violet of the Stars

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived