Peaceful Protests

Mackenzie Holiday

12 minutes ago, Mackenzie Holiday said:

They’re not any louder than anyone else

There's plenty of destructive video evidence that dictates otherwise.

Also, when you're deafening in comparison to the quiet communities you're destroying, you're louder than those you should be standing with. Not working against.

Here's a shocking revelation. If you abide to the law, and are compliant with the police, odds are you will never encounter any violent events in your life. This, even if black.

Why are these people destroying cities, over people who clearly were combative with police officers and resisting arrest?

One of the only true victims in recent police deaths, was Breonna Taylor. She was killed in her sleep, and had nothing to do with anything.

Even Floyd was deserving of being roughed up, for resisting. He just didn't deserve death. The brutality on its own, made him a victim. Many of the others, I'm just seeing BLM activists that are whining about the law being applied to people breaking it, and preferring to be allowed to do as they please.

If this is ever allowed, I'll make sure to move as far away from the neighborhood where such laws affect the most.

Alaska Native Manitou
6 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Facts point to a far different picture. Also, its imperative you look at the entire picture to get the facts.

A compliant and law abiding citizen will likely never experience police brutality. Odds are slim to nil. I didn't state "impossible", as we have the Breonna Taylor's that do occur when police officers exchange fire.

Reaching into a car, during a police chase, isn't compliant nor law abiding. Nor is running away, or reaching into a pocket and pulling out an object in defiance of police orders. This to some, could be called "suicide by police".

Police have an incredibly difficult job. Traffic stops are one of their most dangerous encounters, where they must be on incredibly high alert.

Why some idiots would want to add to that duress when faced with an armed cop, is beyond me.

Your links don't prove anything.

Indigenous people are dealing with the same issue black people are dealing with. Their issues are community based, but somehow the police bear the full responsibility for it.

Just like a parent refusing to parent a child, and sending them to school expecting them to be raised by their teachers. However, some will cry foul if their kids have to face consequences for their actions.

Look at the substance abuse in these communities. The domestic violence. The violence, period. Police are not responsible for it. Honestly. Keep police out of indigenous and black communities and see how well that works out for them.

59 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Indigenous people are dealing with the same issue black people are dealing with. Their issues are community based, but somehow the police bear the full responsibility for it.

While we aren't as bad with police shooting people here, (who outside the US is?) even in some counts our indigenous (who are black too) sometimes cop it too. Which is sad. Hell, they've even had to deal with slavery to some extent, and the Stolen Generations for anywhere up to the 1950's or 60's

1 hour ago, Una Salus Victus said:

While we aren't as bad with police shooting people here, (who outside the US is?) even in some counts our indigenous (who are black too) sometimes cop it too. Which is sad. Hell, they've even had to deal with slavery to some extent, and the Stolen Generations for anywhere up to the 1950's or 60's

You left out rape, pillaging, and the stealing of their land, among other issues the government seems to want to sweep under the rug.

However, the police isn't the root cause of the issues in their communities. That would be like blaming guns for the issues in black communities. You may drop the murder rate, but that's just a bandaid fix.

They merely are as symptomatic as the substance abuse that plagues it. 

You must dig deeper to find the problem. The police are an unfair scapegoat. These communities aren't ready to look into the mirror. 

To say the police are attacking innocent civilians in them, is to act like there isn't a blatant crime issue there.

What bugs me is that Jason Blake gets police denounced, while fighting and resisting. "I was minding my own business and breaking up the fight"

So why was police called on you? Why were you fighting them? 

Trouble more times than not will find those looking for it. 

Alaska Native Manitou
5 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

So burning down businesses and killing those that oppose your extreme views is the solution?

Defunding police will increase crime. You need more money to reform, or to add outreach programs. Not less.

Honestly. As a black male, I don't have a single issue with police. I find people more often than not that hate cops, usually find themselves in trouble with the law. 

I honestly don't get bothered by them as I live an incredibly peaceful and lawful life. 

I am aware how some cops are. All the more reason to avoid drama with them. 

When I see some moron evading arrest and trying to assault a cop then getting lit up with bullets, I see someone who earned it. 

I know someone who indirectly knew a guy of indigenous descent having an altercation with police. Its all over YouTube. 

He provoked the living daylights out of the cop and acted untouchable. 

His family looked on as he fought with the cop. Then he went for the cop's gun. 

Received a final warning to get down and comply, and this guy wanted a fight. Several shots rang out, and now all of a sudden his family wants a stop to the violence, as they shriek in protest.  

Some would see racism. I see an idiot that is lucky to be alive. 

Cops have a hard job. 

Be thankful I realized I wasn't cut for the job. The same setting, I take a head shot and end the threat. 

5 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

So burning down businesses and killing those that oppose your extreme views is the solution?

Yes. You can't grow a garden in untilled soil.  Is the words "kill, murder, or death" in anything I've said? 

4 hours ago, RebelScum said:

I say burn it all down. 

Does that include your own house/property? I’m just curious.

Perhaps I'm speaking metaphorically? Perhaps I'm talking about society in general? Seems the only things that have been burnt down are businesses so as a particular type of individual with a certain ideology I find nothing wrong with that. 

You're right, forgive me. I just find the whole "no violence ever" stand point interesting. And there are two sides to these protests as well. It certainly wasn't Antifa who came in firing guns and paint balls at protesters. 

Mackenzie Holiday

The priorities some people have when it comes to police violence and these protests worries me. When unarmed people of color are killed by those who swear to serve and protect, it’s common for many people to rush to the defense of the officers, painting the person who was killed in whatever negative light they can in order to justify the tragedy. But when property is damaged during the outrage sparked by events like these, then they believe things have gone too far. I think that for many of the people (though not all, obviously) who are outraged by the damage being done during the violent protests but not by the deaths which sparked them, there is a motivation to maintain a belief that things are “normal.” Perhaps it’s easy enough to find reasons to believe that the rate at which unarmed black men are being killed by police is normal, but it’s a lot harder to believe that businesses being damaged by protesters is normal. And that’s why it’s working. We can’t pretend this is normal and now we have to talk about it because it’s become impossible to ignore. Activists throughout history have had to find creative ways to force the problems they were facing into public consciousness and prevent the conversation from being ignored or put on the back burner indefinitely. This always involves some form of disruption of normal daily life. For people who desperately want to avoid facing these issues, having the conversation forced upon them is incredibly frustrating, regardless of whether or not the means of forcing that conversation are peaceful or violent. MLK promoted nonviolent forms of protest, but his protests were undoubtedly disruptive by design.

I would prefer living in a culture where protesting peacefully was enough for people to be heard and action to be taken either to address the issues or address misinformation, depending on what’s being protested and what course of action would do the most good. I prefer this because it would mean that we are living in a culture where people are listened to and we share the goal of continually improving conditions for our fellow members of society. Unfortunately, the reason many prefer non-disruptive, peaceful protests is that they’re easier to ignore. They can delude themselves into believing that there will be no consequences for enabling and perpetuating a status quo that continues to harm or even kill people. It’s because of this motivation to ignore the issues that protesters are sometimes compelled to go further and escalate their protests until they are heard and people finally have to pull their heads out of the sand and pay attention.

If we want people to stop escalating beyond peaceful protests, we need to make sure that there is a clear peaceful route to change that actually works. Otherwise, by demanding protests remain peaceful, we will inevitably be asking people to comply with their own subjugation, which many of them will certainly decline to do.

33 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Oh the good ol' police, never shoot anyone who isn't deserving: 

https://news.yahoo.com/police-shoot-13-old-boy-142149519.html

Police officers are human. What is needed is accountability when they do make costly mistakes.

The full weight of the law should fall on them.

Nobody is saying there aren't bad apples. Reform to make sure they are deterred from applying and heavily punished, and stop forcing the good ones to take the same punishment.

8 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

You're right, forgive me. I just find the whole "no violence ever" stand point interesting. And there are two sides to these protests as well. It certainly wasn't Antifa who came in firing guns and paint balls at protesters. 

Those Trump supporters are idiots who had a supporter killed due to their idiocy. 

Most had a planned route, and you always have to have a handful of morons ruin it for the others.

Violence doesn't solve the issue. It emboldens the silent majority, as Trump fans the flames of fear. 

These idiots aren't realizing in trying to pressure Trump, they are doing quite the opposite for him.

8 minutes ago, Mackenzie Holiday said:

the reason many prefer non-disruptive, peaceful protests is that they’re easier to ignore.

You can be disruptive without being violent. 

I have seen tons of protests in my city that ground our downtown core to a halt with a protest.

No riots. Front page news. Residents were angry, but nobody was hurt. No busineses were damaged. The voices were heard loud and clear and this amplified the pressure on the government to take action. 

There is zero justification for the destruction of property considering what is being fought for. None.

1 hour ago, Gloomy said:

Does that include your own house/property? I’m just curious.

Of course not. Just the property of others. 

Honestly. Each rioter should have their home burnt down, and vehicle. 

Who am I kidding. None of them have jobs with that blatant disregard for businesses and tax payer dollars. 

1 minute ago, Perspektiv said:

None of them have jobs

Calm down. Just keep in mind that those protesters on the left are the ones who will be fighting for your freedom when fascists finally have the guts to stand up and be what they are. From the Paris Commune to WW2 to then end of the Soviet Union. Its the same people you are arguing against now who actually stood up against tyranny. 

Mackenzie Holiday
11 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

You can be disruptive without being violent.

Right. Like the nonviolent, disruptive protests MLK promoted.

11 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

There is zero justification for the destruction of property considering what is being fought for. None.

Whether they’re justified or not, the climate of bending over backwards to sweep certain issues under the rug encourages disruption, and disruption isn’t always peaceful. Some people come up with creative ways to cause disruption without the destruction of property, some don’t, but they all feel a pressing need to be heard so that no one else has to go through what the victims and victims’ families and friends have. If we could just listen to people before they had to decide how best to disrupt the lives of the people in their community who are ignoring their plight, we wouldn’t have to worry about whether or not they’re causing disruption “correctly.”

10 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

None of them have jobs

I like how you throw that around like an epithet. I think it's the great majority of workers who give themselves body and soul to their jobs who then have not much more than they started with when they retire. Who is really the sucker in a capitalist economy?

12 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Of course not. Just the property of others.

That reminds me of this picture I came across.

4191-B574-3811-4-B7-B-9-B48-16-D38-F7600

4 minutes ago, Gloomy said:

That reminds me of this picture I came across

when those danged oppressive University campuses become too much for the students to handle I'm sure this book will be looted too. 

Mackenzie Holiday

Just to clarify, though, if it sounds like I’m condoning violent protests, I’m not. If that last sentence sounds like I’m condemning them, I’m not. They’re beyond asking permission, so it doesn’t really matter what I say about it. They’re not the ones I’m talking to in this thread, I’m talking to you. And really all I want to point out is that, given how we keep going back to talking about looting and rioting in a thread dedicated to shining a light on people who’ve avoided such tactics, this thread can serve as an example of how counterproductive it can be to focus attention on condemning violent protests at the expense of peaceful ones. It’s not supporting peaceful protests to say “I support peaceful protests.” It’s not supporting peaceful protests to pay their tactics lip service while ignoring their issues. Too many people are beyond caring how others think they “should” advocate for their own lives and the lives of their friends and family members. If we want to support one tactic over another, we need to make sure that tactic is successful and accessible, otherwise we’re going to continue to be shocked that people are doing what works for them instead.

1 hour ago, RebelScum said:

Calm down.

Not sure where you got the idea where I was upset. I am pointing out a fact. To have the time to want to destroy property, or want to at the levels they are--you can't possibly have a job, nor understand the value of a job in the Covid-19 era. 

It just doesn't add up. The destruction of a community with the ideal of rebuilding. Think any of those looters will pick up a shovel to help?

Its opportunistic crime.

1 hour ago, RebelScum said:

Just keep in mind that those protesters on the left are the ones who will be fighting for your freedom when fascists finally have the guts to stand up and be what they are.

Am sorry, but this isn't a fight for any type of freedoms. 

This is gratuitous and opportunistic. Disgusting really, and using black lives under guise of seeking change when those who have the loudest voices couldn't care less about black lives or communities, especially so when setting low income earning businesses ablaze. 

41 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

True freedom

Taxes, zoning, endless upkeep, slave to the clock, a million other things. Sounds like real freedom. 

46 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

This is gratuitous and opportunistic. Disgusting really, and using black lives under guise of seeking change when those who have the loudest voices couldn't care less about black lives or communities, especially so when setting low income earning businesses ablaze

Is this supportable with any facts or just an opinion? Sources please. 

21 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Taxes, zoning, endless upkeep, slave to the clock, a million other things. Sounds like real freedom. 

I can travel as I please, and am not a slave to what I cannot afford. 

I have better things to do with my time, than destroy my community. 

21 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Is this supportable with any facts or just an opinion?

Common sense and facts. There are a significant percentage of white people performing this destruction. 

To me that's a double slap to the face. Not only do you not truly understand that I am stuck with my skin color, but the arrogance of such a group to act on my behalf then going off to their privilege and comfort while black people remain black and are forced to answer for these idiots. 

This isn't even in my country, and I have to answer for these morons. 

Archived