Major League Baseball

Homer

• 3 weeks later...

I mean even when everyone and their dog get a playoff spot, they'll still not make it. How do you have so many good parts and not get a decent team out of it?

With their loss tonight, the Houston Astros have guaranteed that they will not have a winning regular season!  (This after three years of dominance in the league, averaging roughly 104 wins per year, or a 64% win rate).

Of course, there are several explanations for this:

--In a shortened, 60-game season, wilder deviations from predicted win rate can be expected.

--Their best pitcher from last year (Justin Verlander) was inured in his first game of the season and hasn't returned.

--Their second best pitcher from last year (Gerrit Cole) signed with another team.

But most controversial of all.

--This was their first year of play after their sign-stealing scandal was exposed.

A disturbing statistic is the comparison of runs per game from last year to this year.  A year ago, the Astros averaged 5.68 runs per game.  This year, they're averaging 4.66 runs per game.  None of the aforementioned "legitimate" reasons would explain a decrease in run-scoring ability, however, the termination of a sign-stealing operation would.

This corroborates a number of grievances other teams have against the Astros, such as:

--The Oakland Athletics' claim to have been unfairly relegated to 2nd place in the AL West in 2018 and 2019, forcing them to play one-game playoffs that they later lost, rather than automatically advancing to the divisional round.

--The Boston Red Sox, Cleveland Indians, and Tampa Bay Rays all being able to claim that an ALDS was "stolen" from them.

--The New York Yankees claiming that the ALCS was stolen from them, twice.

--The Los Angeles Dodgers, the most dominant team of the 2010s by any legitimate metric* being able to claim that their lack of a World Series title during that time was due to its being stolen from them in 2017.

*While a recent article on MLB.com only ranked the Dodgers 7th, the metric used by Will Leitch, its author, is embarrassingly unprofessional.   It first considers the number of World Series championships won, and only uses other factors as tiebreaking metrics.  By this metric, the outcome of a single game (game 7 of the 2017 World Series) out of a sample of over 1,600 played by the team would have led to the Dodgers' likely climbing four ranks.  To further illustrate the point, employing such a metric over the period from 1993 to 2005 would lead to the Florida Marlins' outranking the Atlanta Braves.

In a year where everyone qualifies for the playoffs, the Mets still blow it :D Miami OTOH, who had to use about 379 different players because of covid, are almost there. The Mets are a prime example of why worst case scenarios are necessary.

The Astros statistics are truly bangin' :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I am just now finding this thread! Also a life long baseball fan here but pretty much all my friends hate it and don't want to hear my rant lol. I have not followed it at all this year because I am a Mariners fan (anyone else fans of terrible teams please feel free to cry with me and our bad management) and my mental health couldn't take that hit this year. Will jump back in next year. Hope everyone is getting something positive from this year. 

I haven't looked into the Mariners much, but if they're anything like the Mets, they've got a bunch of very decent players who make a crappy team. Sigh

Real Estate RICO

Seaver, Brock, Gibson, Ford, now Morgan all less than a month.

fuck---

• Like 1

It just fits this season and this year as a whole...

Real Estate RICO

please do not tell me the dodgers scored 10 of those 11 with 2 outs

say sike right now

With Houston's elimination, it's guaranteed that there will be 7 distinct World Series champions over 7 years.  The longest stretch of distinct World Series is 10 years (1978-1987).

With Tampa Bay winning games 1,2,3, and 7, that makes it the first time the winning team's win/loss pattern was WWWLLLW.

I'm wondering if this leaves any win/loss patterns unaccounted for in 7-game series.

We may never hear about it because the commissioner is in the back pocket of the Astros owner, but I'm sure the Rays figured how the Astros were cheating.. and just in time. Crazy that they almost cheated their way into the world series back to back years. They never fired or suspended their cheating mastermind and he obviously saved it for the playoffs as the team flipped a magic switch.

Real Estate RICO

>28-3

>2017-18 NCG

>every year in the 90s except for 95

>losing two NHL teams to Western Canada

>WWF buys WCW

>this

are you fucking kidding me, Atlanta

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, ManicPixieDreamFreeAgent said:

>28-3

>2017-18 NCG

>every year in the 90s except for 95

>losing two NHL teams to Western Canada

>WWF buys WCW

>this

are you fucking kidding me, Atlanta

To my mind, not as bad as 2019-2020 Detroit:

Tigers go 47-114, 71% loss rate.

Lions go 3-12-1, 75% loss rate.

Red Wings go 17-49-5, 76% loss rate (overtime losses are NOT ties).

Pistons go 20-46, 70% loss rate.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:04 AM, AspieAlly613 said:

Tigers go 47-114, 71% loss rate.

Lions go 3-12-1, 75% loss rate.

If a lion fought a tiger, who would win? :D 

Probably about time to rename the city to "Deadroit".

On 10/10/2020 at 5:29 AM, nmarie said:

I am just now finding this thread! Also a life long baseball fan here but pretty much all my friends hate it and don't want to hear my rant lol. I have not followed it at all this year because I am a Mariners fan (anyone else fans of terrible teams please feel free to cry with me and our bad management) and my mental health couldn't take that hit this year. Will jump back in next year. Hope everyone is getting something positive from this year. 

You might want to watch this

Well, the end to tonight's game was reminiscent of the 2013 "Game ending what?"

LOL what the actual airborne consensual intercourse

3 minutes ago, ManicPixieDreamFreeAgent said:

what-

how

I guess this means he won't be playing in any Major League games for a few months.

46 minutes ago, AspieAlly613 said:

I guess this means he won't be playing in any Major League games for a few months.

:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

...aaaaand Robby Canó tested positive for PED. Again.

How dumb can one possibly be.

• 2 weeks later...