Major League Baseball

Homer

Ooof.

• 2 months later...

That first comment tho

If there was another Canadian team I would be tempted to ditch the Jays. I can't stand Shapiro. 

My Grandpa was a Giants fan because in the days before Toronto had a team he lived in New York and knew them as the New York Giants.

• Like 1
Real Estate RICO

Poverty franchise president says the quiet part out loud:

If I was Kyle Seager, I'd walk out of Spring Training and force them to either trade me or release me. If you're not going to exercise the team option, let's just get it over with right now instead of doing it in July or November. I don't even care if Mather resigned; better yet, him resigning instead of straight up getting fired is an even bigger reason to do it.

I mean, it wasn't even a week ago when Draymond Green rightfully blasted teams for doing this type of stuff after the Cavs publicly put Andre Drummond on the trade block, and here comes dumbass Ashy Larry to give the game away completely.

Not to mention, the Rockies are in a smaller market than Seattle is, and they just forked over their generational talent AND $50M to the Cardinals for pennies on the dollar. I never, ever, ever, want to hear these MLB owners cry their poor me bullshit ever again after this, especially in markets like Seattle or Miami where you can actually do something in. It's not even an Oakland or Tampa Bay situation where they find ways to make it work despite their constraints; the Mariners, Marlins, and Rockies have just basically admitted they don't put effort in.

Funny how we were all mad at the Yankees for buying their championships back then. I mean, yeah, the Yanks have more resources, but at least the Steinbrenners want to put a winning product out.

(also, I like how this dude also buries Hisashi Iwakuma and Julio Rodriguez for not speaking English well while whining about a $75K a year interpreter and more than likely knowing only one language. Dude probably thinks $7.00/month for Duolingo Plus is too much for him)

The concept of "owners" of sports clubs is so weird to me. We don't have such a thing in Germany and I'm glad about this. Then again, they're franchises in the US, not clubs.

• 2 months later...

Kevin Pillar got hit in the face by a fastball and it... left a mark. Holy cow.

• 2 months later...
AspieAlly613
2 hours ago, vinlan said:

Yankees fan here 😄(cue the "Imperial March")

*Watching yesterday's game*

"A day may come when they pitch a 1-2-3 9th.  But it is not this day."

After the trade deadline, do the Chicago cubs still have a team? 

Spoiler

OK, I plagiarised that from the Jim Brockmire Podcast

1 hour ago, AspieAlly613 said:

*Watching yesterday's game*

"A day may come when they pitch a 1-2-3 9th.  But it is not this day."

Omg, right?? And I had a close fantasy baseball match that was counting on the points from Cortes getting a win, so I was extra not there for the sweating. 

1 hour ago, iff said:

After the trade deadline, do the Chicago cubs still have a team? 

Hide contents

OK, I plagiarised that from the Jim Brockmire Podcast

They might have a team, but there's not much left of their championship team. It's okay though because Cubs fans have to be patient now :P 

AspieAlly613
1 hour ago, vinlan said:

They might have a team, but there's not much left of their championship team. It's okay though because Cubs fans have to be patient now :P 

To be fair, hardly any Yankees from the 2016 team are still on the team now.

All I can think of are Judge, Gardner, Sanchez, and Chapman (sort of, he left the team for two months in 2016)

Edit:  I checked Baseball Reference and forgot about Green, Hicks, and Severino.  Of the 8 total players named, only Gardner, Sanchez, Chapman, and Green played major roles on the club in both 2016 and 2021.

13 hours ago, vinlan said:

Yankees fan here 😄(cue the "Imperial March")

Me too!  :)

AspieAlly613
2 hours ago, coolshades said:

Me too!  :)

From Arizona?  2001 must have been weird for you.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:01 AM, AspieAlly613 said:

From Arizona?  2001 must have been weird for you.

You have no idea. 😐

AspieAlly613

I noticed a while back that there's been good competitive balance in MLB when it comes to who wins the World Series, dating back to 1979.  I'm going to do some analysis to see how well-balanced the league is when tracking which teams win the most regular-season games and which teams lost the most regular-season games.

AspieAlly613

Here are the results of the analysis:

Complicating factors:  There were only 26 teams in 1979, but that grew to 28 in 1993 and to 30 in 1998.  Also, there was no World Series in 1994, but obviously there was a team with the best record and one with the worst record.  In the event that teams' records were tied, their run differentials were used to break the tie.

World Series Championships:

If competitive balance were achieved, then we would expect the four new teams (Rockies, Marlins, Rays, and Diamondbacks) to win three times between the four of them.  This is exactly what happened.  Of the remaining 26 teams and 38 World series, we would expect:

6 teams to win no World Series

9 teams to win the World Series once

6 teams to win the World Series twice

5 teams to win the World Series three times or more:

Actual results:

5 teams did not win the World Series

12 teams won the World Series once

4 teams won the World Series twice

5 teams won the World Series three times or more

The only difference between reality and what we'd expect from perfect balance is the Nationals winning games 6 and 7 in 2019 and the Braves losing four in a row to the Yankees in 1996.

Most wins/losses in a season:

Again, we'd expect the four new teams to combine for three winningest seasons and 3 losingest seasons.  However, the four new teams have NEVER won the most games in a season, and combine for 6 losingest seasons.

Looking at the winningest seasons, once we know that the newest teams never achieved this, here's what we'd expect from the remaining 26 teams:

5 teams to never post the best record

8 teams to post the best record once

7 teams to post the best record twice

6 teams to post the best record 3 or more times

In reality, here's what happened:

5 teams never had the best record

10 teams had the best record once

6 teams had the best record twice

5 teams had the best record three times or more.

Some slight deviation, but balance is still fairly well-maintained and within what one might expect from a chi-squared test.  (In fact, even with competitive balance, we'd see more outlandish results than this in most universes).  Worth noting is that the slight deviation is in the direction of slight overbalancing.

Losingest Seasons:

Given that the four new teams combined for the worst records in 6 of the 42 years, this is what we'd expect from the other 26 teams across the remaining 36 seasons:

7 teams would never have the worst record

9 teams would have the worst record once

6 teams would have the worst record twice

4 teams would have the worst record at least three times.

In reality, here's what happened:

8 teams never had the worst record

9 teams had the worst record once

5 teams had the worst record twice

4 teams had the worst record three times.

This is, again, surprisingly close to what we'd expect.

Conclusion:

Major League Baseball has achieved competitive balance since 1979.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Greetings from NY! I really hope the MLB will get their "stuff" together and give us a season. I can't deal with another shortened one. 😰

• Like 1

Super bummed about the universal DH :( Let the pitchers hit, dammit.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Homer said:

Super bummed about the universal DH :( Let the pitchers hit, dammit.

This. I am against the DH rule because pitchers are part of the team and should hit. If both teams have pitchers hitting there is no disadvantage.

Real Estate RICO

now hold on, wait a minute

AspieAlly613
4 minutes ago, MPDFA said:

now hold on, wait a minute

Still not complaining about the trade that brought Elehuris Montero to Hartford last year.

• 3 weeks later...
Real Estate RICO

happy opening day, now let us laugh at the angels

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
On 7/24/2020 at 12:59 PM, Homer said:

but only got into actually watching it in 2015 or so, when I broke my foot and had nothing better to do than to familiarise myself with the rules. Coincidentally, that was the one season of the last 15 or so where the Mets didn't totally suck, so I ended up with them

Royals fan here 

• Like 1