Portland Protests

Kasseb

Yeah, spineless politicians will dramatically cut funding to pacify protesters. Some are already in the works to doing so, or have. This won't fix shit. Matter of fact, it will worsen things.

You need to face the issue head on. Otherwise its a band-aid fix. PR move.

Then the protesters will complain about  spike in violent arrests, and people in their neighborhoods will complain about being "hung out to dry", with the spike of violence within their own communities virtually deserted by a police presence, which is the goal from those behind the movement.

Personally, if I'm a politician and people are demanding no police presence in their violent neighborhoods, I'd be quick to comply. Let them kill each other. Cheaper to the tax payer. Just make sure the killings remain in their communities.

I grew up in violent slums, and was always taught the police was my number one threat. I then realized, the true threat, shared the same skin tone and appearance I did. The only times I had my life and health threatened, was from my own "people".

Alaska Native Manitou

3 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I grew up in violent slums, and was always taught the police was my number one threat. I then realized, the true threat, shared the same skin tone and appearance I did. The only times I had my life and health threatened, was from my own "people".

I grew up in a violent family with cops in it, and was always taught that African Americans were my number one threat.  I then realized that black people had never beaten me for no reason, the true threat was my relatives.  My life & health were threatened by the White supremacists who raised me & left permanent scars on my body.  Yet I have become someone who listens to people, & can sympathize with those who have been hurt--even by the police.

Spoiler

qw0ij0nbfz531.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=

1 hour ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

My life & health were threatened by the White supremacists

Not all cops are white supremacists. 

Not all cops are trigger happy, or your death toll would be in the millions annually. 

Something doesn't add up in your rhetoric. Or are you giving me one side of the picture based on your experience?

Personally if am a cop, I would protest a call to a predominantly black neighborhood. 

A few cops doing this or calling in sick profusely, will have those black residents putting pressure to put cops back on their streets. 

Reality, is most people want safety. They are more afraid of the gangs and thugs that terrorize them, than police that protect them. 

Alaska Native Manitou

welcome-topolice-state-usa-where-cops-ca

47 minutes ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

welcome-topolice-state-usa-where-cops-ca

Nobody talks about the shit Aboriginal and black people do to each other on a daily basis like they are saints. That shit is equally foul. Matter of fact, its worse. 

I guess its best to likely die, get sexually and physically assaulted or sold drugs by your own people vs the incredibly low odds you will get killed by a cop.

Priorities, people. Memes don't tell anything as are designed to be as pin point with their biases. Try posting your own words. It shows you actually know what you're talking about. 

Not once did I deny some cops are scum. But not one politician wants to address the issues in these communities or head on fix the issues within the police. Just cut budget  end of. *dusts hands*

Alaska Native Manitou

psychology-memes-confirmation-bias.png

https://news.gallup.com/poll/316571/black-americans-police-retain-local-presence.aspx

Regardless of where they live, 81% of black Americans want the police to spend the same amount of time (or more) in their area.

The culture is simply not listening to what people (especially in the vulnerable inner cities) need.

Obviously the police in America are far from perfect. But people die when they are removed from neighbourhoods without thinking it through. 200% murder rates are the result — children have not been exempt. No matter what the public feels  about the police at this point in history, acknowledging that we NEED them to stop inner city violence is not controversial. It is common sense, because there is simply no alternative that works right now.

I honestly think the Democrats have a lot of blood on their hands because of this. I won't say its intentional, but there have been over a thousand more people dead by gun violence this year, in Chicago alone. This is a direct result of the confusion and disarray that law enforcement units in their cities have been through.

BLM would have secured a major success in July, if not for them. If the Dems believed that improving the conduct of police in America was urgent, they would not have called Tim Scott — of all people — a token simply for being black, and rejected his police reform bill despite 3/4 of their conditions being met, and without any interest in further discussion, despite being approached personally for their reasons.

News channels like MSNBC will never report on any of this, and it seems that liberals will continue to misinterpret the needs of the people they claim to want to help.

24 minutes ago, crucis said:

Regardless of where they live, 81% of black Americans want the police to spend the same amount of time (or more) in their area.

Correct. Most black people have zero issue with the police as a whole. Criminals have an issue with police, because they are criminals!

Most simply want accountability for the bad apples. Not administrative leaves. Actual jail. Dismissal. Lawsuits, for foul practices. 

there have been over a thousand more people dead by gun violence this year, in Chicago alone.

Many cities have seen high numbers regarding murder rates. Seattle police was appealing to the public as an example, as dealing with rioters took precious personnel off the streets, leaving criminals to commit crimes and increasing the time for calls to get responded to. This at times, is a very deadly mix.

News channels like MSNBC will never report on any of this

They denounce Trump going for votes vs safety regarding covid, yet are doing the exact thing with their silence on the riots, and the unintentional consequences of that silence (only showing a voice once their numbers started to slip in the polls). 

I'm disgusted at the people calling for a majority of police forces to be abolished. 

Part of me want Democrats in power where this occurs. I honestly would laugh seeing triple murder rates and those neighborhoods calling for guess who?

Honestly. Stupid people should get stupid prizes. Even if its resulting in entire neighborhoods being overrun by a now empowered gang activity. 

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

They denounce Trump going for votes vs safety regarding covid, yet are doing the exact thing with their silence on the riots, and the unintentional consequences of that silence (only showing a voice once their numbers started to slip in the polls). 

I'm disgusted at the people calling for a majority of police forces to be abolished. 

Yes, and what I'd also want to see is for every single politician who supported a knee-jerk defunding of police to get voted out, or sued into insolvency.

Being a leader involves explaining unpopular realities to your voters. These people refuse to acknowledge that their politicisation of the issue has consequences measured in lives.

Again, the police is far from perfect. But in this extremely messy period, the last thing you should do is jump into ambiguous experiments in alternative law enforcement, after already slashing the police budgets that have been keeping people in vulnerable neighbourhoods safe.

The sad thing is that many people seem to have their heads in the sand, refusing to believe that violent crime has been a huge problem, and that there's just no proven way to counter it right now except increasing police training, capabilities, and presence. Go ahead and test alternatives, but leave the police on the streets until you're certain you have an answer.

9 minutes ago, crucis said:

Go ahead and test alternatives

I could agree with a pilot project, where you start small and assess where tweaks need to be made. But to make large blanket statement style alternative tests, is insane. This will cost lives, and is very irresponsible.

You can't allow thugs to intimidate you into knee jerk reactions.

These people are against fascism, but don't realize the comical irony that they're behaving in a highly fascist manner.

10 minutes ago, Moonman said:

Why would you laugh at the tripling of a murder rate? Seems callous...

Because BLM got what they want. Less police. Exposing their sheer stupidity, and fact that most with the loudest voices in the organization, do not care about black lives. They care about their agenda and power.

You can call it what you like. I'm the kind of person who will warn someone. If that person gets bit in the ass, I will laugh. You got what you deserved. Don't come crying to me.

People in BLM want a show of power. I just wish they got a bit of consequence to go with that, and humble them. So yes, call me whatever you wish. I'll take it with that very said smile.

55 minutes ago, Moonman said:

I'm personally on the side of whichever option leads to less people dying

So am I. I've posted am a peaceful person.

Meaning, I am calling BLM on their hypocrisy and bullshit which will cost the lives of many if they get their way. Denouncing their intimidation, and strong arm tactics, which didn't stop at demanding people to give away their homes, looting, and violent intimidation of retreating police officers at times. Yet people are up and arms at a couple defending their property from these thugs?

Nobody is denouncing the death threats uttered to police stuck at a police station in Portland, that was being set ablaze by protesters. This is cold blooded murder, if they got their way. Not a single officer engaged with them. Look it up.

How come this doesn't make it to the news, and the police need to post video evidence, to dispute the left winged news stating the protests there that evening were peaceful in that case or in others.

Nobody with high confidence can state where any funding of BLM is going to. This should be transparent.

I do not want people dying in droves, meaning I know the police is needed. I also know the police need to address the systemic racism within some in their ranks.

My point being made, was if BLM got their way, I am aware of the unintended consequences of that "victory". Do I feel sorry for those who will be victimized by a spike in deadly black on black crime? Absolutely not. This is what was desired, no?

But what I would deep down like, would be for common sense to prevail, with regards to a serious conversation being had about how policing is done in the US, and not only that conversation, but solutions.

6 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Such peaceful conservatives, supporting police doing what would be called genocide if anyone else did it.

The NYPD found an effective way to lower the crime rate.

genocide

[ jen-uh-sahyd ]

the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group

Do you seriously think this describes pro-active policing against petty crime?

I like how honest the article was. It described an interesting phenomenon, but repeatedly stressed how they don't know enough to draw conclusions across the board.

Genocide would imply the government, at the very least, turning a blind eye. Also it would imply a premeditated policy of kill anyone from the target group at any opportunity. Are either of these things happening? 

Could it just be the end result of the police in a given area being of a considerably different ethnic mix to the local population? It seems to be a common phenomenon across the world that in large cities migrants of a given nationality, or groups who've lived there for many generations, tend to live in distinct groups. Often this isn't intentional, but people like to be around others who speak the same language, share the same culture, go to the same church as themselves. 

The end result is a racial and cultural imbalance across a city. If you have, say, 20 boroughs in any given city, 90% of a given race or nationalality might live in only two. So, if you have a police force that, citywide, has an ethnic diversity that matches the population as a whole, but are split equally over the city, its inevitable that in some boroughs the police will appear to be predominantly of a different race to the local population. 

End result is that the public perception of  police diversity is not the same as the statistics would say. 

RoseGoesToYale

I can say this with 100% certainty, ain't nobody out there protesting now. Smoke doesn't care what your political ideology is, it'll choke anything that breathes.

In Portland, it's not just smoke that's calmed the protesting, it's the fact that fire has come very close to the city.   In Seattle, it's smoke; it's hard to breathe.  

30 minutes ago, Sally said:

In Portland, it's not just smoke that's calmed the protesting, it's the fact that fire has come very close to the city.

Trump did it! He stopped the protests!!1!

On 9/13/2020 at 6:31 PM, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Such peaceful conservatives, supporting police doing what would be called genocide if anyone else did it.

The NYPD found an effective way to lower the crime rate.

The police is defensible, considering not all statistically speaking are committing the acts the protests are denouncing. Matter of fact, they are in the minority. Look it up.

To demonize the police as a whole (especially since this movement has grown global), is no different than a racist cop demonizing all minorities. They "likely" are criminals if black. This is highly inaccurate.

The same logic applies to someone demonizing someone visibly Arabic, as they're "likely" terrorists. Facts and statistics heavily refute this, considering the global volume of people who are either Muslim or Arabic, vs the minutely microscopic volume that are extremists or terrorists (in comparison).

The same can be said for police. One's bad experience, cannot be drawn as a final conclusion to the entire group. I if this were the case, wouldn't have an Asian significant other, due to my bad experience with the prior 3 that I dated. I see the flaw in that logic, due to having to live down the actions of so few in my demographic all the time.

I can defend the police as a whole, but will not defend those police officers who breach the laws they were sworn in the protect. One must put pressure on the force to eliminate them. Not the entire force.

With the BLM riots logic, I should be denouncing those I know who are cops, for choosing to do this for a living--even if they are good, lawful and highly objective cops. Heck to many, even cheering on their death or assault.

I can't stand behind something blindly. Anything questionable, is meant to be questioned. That goes for police, protests and anything else in life.

Alaska Native Manitou

Rest in peace, Michael Reinoehl.  He shot a Patriot Prayer aggressor to save himself & a friend, but that's not why he was killed.  In a recorded interview after he stated that while he opposed fascism, he wasn't actually a member of Antifa.  That makes it hard for the the police to blame the death on everyone associated with Antifa--so they silenced him.  Their next target might be Rev. Nathaniel Dingess who saw them murdering Reinoehl & told the truth about it.  The Oregonian (a conservative paper) reports:

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/09/witness-says-officers-never-gave-commands-before-firing-at-michael-reinoehl-outside-wa-apartment.html

1 hour ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Rest in peace, Michael Reinoehl.  He shot a Patriot Prayer aggressor to save himself & a friend, but that's not why he was killed.  In a recorded interview after he stated that while he opposed fascism, he wasn't actually a member of Antifa.  That makes it hard for the the police to blame the death on everyone associated with Antifa--so they silenced him.  Their next target might be Rev. Nathaniel Dingess who saw them murdering Reinoehl & told the truth about it.  The Oregonian (a conservative paper) reports:

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/09/witness-says-officers-never-gave-commands-before-firing-at-michael-reinoehl-outside-wa-apartment.html

Body cams would bring a situation like this to a stop real quick.

They should be mandatory.

This way if cops aren't at fault, they could silence news outlets building a story without all the facts at their disposal.

On 9/12/2020 at 9:57 AM, Perspektiv said:

You have a strong point, if BLM tones their rhetoric down and actively decides to seriously start negotiating. 

Defunding police forces to appease rioters, will in fact embolden them as you have taken that much more police off the streets.

My thoughts on the best negotiations:  BLM members should apply en masse to their local police academies.  They can have the negotiations about police tactics happen within the police departments.

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

Unfortunatly I dont think many of them will pass the strict requirments for entry

Or the lie detector test, depending on the setting you are applying for:

"Have you recently been involved in illegal activity such as a riot?"

(Antifa applicant): No

*lie detector machine explodes*

1 hour ago, AspieAlly613 said:

My thoughts on the best negotiations:  BLM members should apply en masse to their local police academies.  They can have the negotiations about police tactics happen within the police departments.

If they could pull it off, that's checkmate in my books. 

Even if I didn't agree with the tactics I would have to smile and say: "well played". 

That would be like going through the arduous process of applying for secret service just to slap Trump in the back of the head. 

Some would say its disgusting. I would say that is dedication. Hire that guy when he's released from jail!

2 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Well thats what a polygraph is, which.... they are shown to be innacurate lol

Sorry, I didn't see that part of your post. Polygraphs would definitely make many fear of applying in the first place. I think its more deterrent than anything. 

Alaska Native Manitou
8 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

Good people can't stay on the police force:     good_police.pngdoggy-school-dropout-police-dog-fired-fo

13 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

Good people can't stay on the police force:

I'm wondering what reason they gave for firing them? I know employment in the US is in general not that secured (for lack of a better term) but at least with sth like the police I would've expected less... random firings (aka for no good reason)

Then again, I've read a lot about officers who were simply placed in another department when they did sth bad or who could apply in other departments despite bad actions as there is a lack in sth like a US-wide data system that tracks their misconduct

Archived