Portland Protests

Kasseb

4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

it wasnt Trump supporters who just last night gunned down two officers.

I'm pretty sure it more had to do with the tensions of current sociopolitical climates than who they're voting for. But, you do you trying to paint others as the enemies.

19 minutes ago, R_1 said:

I'm pretty sure it more had to do with the tensions of current sociopolitical climates than who they're voting for. But, you do you trying to paint others as the enemies.

Because there's been none of that going on in this thread otherwise.... 🙄

7 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Totally like I wasnt calling out an article that claims Trump supporters are causing this which is.... a stretch and borderline conspiracy theory. Simple solution tends to be answer and that is, people have been out riotting and deffending said actions.

No one here is defending riotings, and two, you're still attributing the few to the many, and thereby trying to paint non-conservatives as enemies. I will continue to call this out whether you like it or not.

Most people don’t kill other people. Most people voting for either candidate don’t try to incite violence or kill people. I highly doubt political affiliation affects whether or not people commit murder. I don’t think we’ll find the truth of the matter while trying to make “the other side” look bad. There’s always room for any ideology, no matter how peaceful or well intentioned, to have violent splinter groups. Human psychology is complex and nuanced, and the answer to why people do bad things is never as simple as “because x group is bad.”

Genuine supporters of either political party, BLM, Antifa aren't causing the riots, shootings etc. Its that small percentage of society who get their kicks from causing chaos, destruction, riots, harming people and property. They hide behind these groups to legitimise what are basically sociopathic tendencies, tainting them. 

Alaska Native Manitou

Borrowing this as the most closely related thread to Peaceful Protests.

That moment when people are being so dense that you have to do this to get the idea across. 🤣🤣

Alaska Native Manitou
18 hours ago, Cimmerian said:

Borrowing this as the most closely related thread to Peaceful Protests.

That moment when people are being so dense that you have to do this to get the idea across. 🤣🤣

I'll agree. Why does that shopkeep need to be looted? They weren't involved with whom/what you're protesting against.

If the time for peaceful protests and still not listened too? Go loot a police station then, not your neighbour. 

Sigh, just frustrated seeing conflict... idk whats right... 

Alaska Native Manitou

The bloodbath we feared didn't happen; the police didn't side with the right this time.  They actually took a lot of dangerous items from the Proud Boys, made some arrests, & even acknowledged how peaceful the protests are.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/police-confiscate-weapons-cite-and-arrested-people-near-portland-saturday/ar-BB19sprd?ocid=msedgdhp  If you're not from here, you might be surprised just how much support the demonstrators are getting.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pbot-signs-along-i-5-to-show-hate-has-no-place-here-black-lives-matter-on-saturday/ar-BB19r19L?ocid=msedgdhp

Alaska Native Manitou
Alaska Native Manitou

If you think the Southern Poverty Law Center is biased, then you live in a different reality than everyone else.  https://www.splcenter.org/about

I know I'm not one of the main debaters here - but I gotta say, any time there's 2 extreme sides....the answer usually lies somewhere in the middle. I'm not saying I can resolve this of course, but the way I see it, the Proud Boys organization just. Looks. Creepy. They can do what they want (within the law), but...yeah, creepy. HOWEVER! I also find the list of "demands" released by the head of the BLM organization ridiculous. And the more that groups like this act equally ridiculous in opposition of each other, the worse it gets. IMO the ONLY way to even TRY to fix things is to come together halfway, somehow.

No, I'm not saying it's OK for white police to target black people. It's not OK for law enforcement to be brutal against anyone else, either. I'm also not saying it's right for violent people to destroy communities in "protest", putting up signs that say things like "White people have stolen more from us than we could ever loot". Really, how is that helping the situation...?? Keep looting, the violence gets worse. No one will take the cause seriously if you're hurting innocent people and destroying communities, and that goes for anyone of any color. I'm aware of white supremacists who add to the destruction - they're far from innocent. But many other people are truly innocent and they're being harmed - and a lot of people don't care. All they can say are things like "Well, now you know what WE go through!" which is sheer stupidity. If someone steals my Big Mac, do I run up to a different, random person and steal THEIR food - and then when they get mad, do I say, "Well, now you know how I feel!!"? How redundant is that. I just don't get it.

2 hours ago, MakeupJunkie444 said:

TRY to fix things is to come together halfway, somehow

This I can 100% agree with

RoseGoesToYale
3 hours ago, MakeupJunkie444 said:

I also find the list of "demands" released by the head of the BLM organization ridiculous.

Wanting reparations for ancestors who were enslaved and got nothing when emancipated, calling for an end to police brutality, mass incarceration, racial profiling, and redlining, and wanting non-discriminatory economic policies and political representation is ridiculous?

25 minutes ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Wanting reparations for ancestors who were enslaved and got nothing when emancipated, calling for an end to police brutality, mass incarceration, racial profiling, and redlining, and wanting non-discriminatory economic policies and political representation is ridiculous?

no no no....I'm talking about the part where they want white people who own homes to give them up (for free) to black families. No choice involved, it would be mandatory. There were a few other things on there that were uncalled for, too - but naturally yes, everyone will assume I mean the more sensible points. Of course. Why ask a simple question when it's easier to assume the worst?

RoseGoesToYale
9 minutes ago, MakeupJunkie444 said:

I'm talking about the part where they want white people who own homes to give them up (for free) to black families. No choice involved, it would be mandatory.

Where did you get this from? I've literally never heard this as a demand from any chapter of Black Lives Matter. BLM Chicago wants housing for the homeless and nearly homeless. BLM Seattle wants more housing and affordable rents. BLM D.C. wants increased funding for affordable housing. There's nothing in there about throwing white people out of homes.

1 minute ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Where did you get this from? I've literally never heard this as a demand from any chapter of Black Lives Matter. BLM Chicago wants housing for the homeless and nearly homeless. BLM Seattle wants more housing and affordable rents. BLM D.C. wants increased funding for affordable housing. There's nothing in there about throwing white people out of homes.

Seriously am trying to find it now....will post if I find it. I believe it was the BLM arm Movement For Black Lives - but I could be wrong. 

OK, so I figured out where I'd heard it recently....apparently a woman in charge of BLM wanted the white people to will their houses to disadvantaged families of color in 2017. It was recently brought up again this year in news headlines when this stuff happened in Seattle: https://summit.news/2020/08/14/black-lives-matter-mob-demands-white-people-give-up-their-homes/

Anywho - I went through the M4BL demands, and I found many of them reasonable, but many of them not. Some of what they're asking is a great idea (and many of the issues important to them are truly important to everyone, of every color), but some of it is really not realistic, IMO. Doing away with all school surveillance? IDK about that. I'm not saying lots of cops to rough up the kids is good - but unfortunately some surveillance is needed in schools. ESPECIALLY FOR TEACHERS OMG. Free university education for everyone? Again, doubtful. American colleges won't get rid of their scam - um, I mean, "business" by charging hefty tuition, unfortunately. ;)  I'd even be fine with their demands to decriminalize "youth" under age 23...providing the legal age of adulthood becomes 24. *which again, isn't gonna happen. Things like that, yes, I do find ridiculous and unrealistic. But as I said, other things on there make sense, and not just for blacks, but for people in general. I have no issue with those.

Alaska Native Manitou
12 hours ago, Arodash said:

Hoo boy.  You accuse me of using biased sources then you rely on the Republican National Committee & the National Review?  And other than a "left bias" your 1st link only has good things to say about SPLC.  Wanna see what it says about your sources?  https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/gop-com/  

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/national-review/  By the way I can't help it if your dislike of me causes you to take everything I say as an insult. ❄️

@MakeupJunkie444:  I admit I've been biased against The Proud Boys--ever since they came down to Salem & attacked as many people as they could.  I don't just mean protesters, they went after anyone who took pictures of them (the 1st beating in the video below) & also a student at the local university who just looked too liberal for them. (the blond kid)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=qLpHxeIghOc&feature=emb_logo

RoseGoesToYale
11 hours ago, MakeupJunkie444 said:

OK, so I figured out where I'd heard it recently....apparently a woman in charge of BLM wanted the white people to will their houses to disadvantaged families of color in 2017. It was recently brought up again this year in news headlines when this stuff happened in Seattle: https://summit.news/2020/08/14/black-lives-matter-mob-demands-white-people-give-up-their-homes/

I did a fact check on Summit News. It's a very small independent site known for far-right extremism and for fabricating stories and putting out propaganda. Their site doesn't even have a phone number, email, or list of people working for them, which is a major red flag. Even Fox News has a "Contact Us" page.

If you want to know what BLM is about, do a city-specific chapter search. All want systemic changes to happen in governments and the legislature, especially wanting more political representation, not stemming from violence.

11 hours ago, MakeupJunkie444 said:

Doing away with all school surveillance? IDK about that. I'm not saying lots of cops to rough up the kids is good - but unfortunately some surveillance is needed in schools. ESPECIALLY FOR TEACHERS OMG.

I... could write a whole book on this, but I don't to get this thread off-topic. Suffice it to say, in my high school, even the teachers were surveilled by the APs and it made it very difficult and terrifying for them to do their jobs.

2 hours ago, RoseGoesToYale said:

Suffice it to say, in my high school, even the teachers were surveilled by the APs and it made it very difficult and terrifying for them to do their jobs.

I'm sure there are instances where it's taken too far against the teachers and students (like this). No question it happens. DM and LMK what happened? I'm curious now. Haha. Yeah, that's why I went to the M4BL website directly and read their policies - and concluded with the fact that personally, I can get behind some of the things they want, but not all of them.

Alaska Native Manitou
Alaska Native Manitou
24 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Well you're quoting a source that whines about "political correctness" & says corporations shouldn't have to obey the law or treat people like human beings...

The Portland Police Bureau is going wild again; knocking down an old news photographer:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/deliberate-attack-on-a-journalist-police-accused-of-being-too-aggressive-during-portland-protest/ar-BB19w5rA?ocid=msedgdhp  & arresting lots of people, including someone who was just passing thorough while doing his job:  

Alaska Native Manitou

literature-media_bias-e1492800485446.jpg

Alaska Native Manitou
On 9/28/2020 at 5:01 AM, Arodash said:

Telling people they live in a different reality is pretty insulting.

6 hours ago, Arodash said:

clearly red riding hood is the bad one! Shes clearly a werewolf hunter part of an ancient order who hunts down werewolves

Can we keep to discussing the protests and related issues, rather than bickering, please. Skycaptain moderator PPS 

• 3 weeks later...
Alaska Native Manitou

Archived