1. 1. What sock length do you wear

• Knee high
    • Over the ankle
    • Under the ankle
    • Wear tights or similar instead
    • None
    • Just want to see the poll result

This poll is closed to new votes

When wearing clothing with the hemline above the knee - shorts, dress, skirt, kilt etc - and wearing enclosing footwear - not sandals, flip-flops etc - what length of socks do you wear? 

I wear over the ankle socks, because I find the ones that sit below the ankle bone very uncomfortable 

I think you meant to type shorts rather than shirts?  I do hope so. :P

I rarely  wear socks.  Tights in winter and bare legs/feet in summer, even with enclosing footwear.  I believe socks with sandals for women is becoming fashionable. 😮

Over the ankle, and always white ones, even though that's supposed to be a fashion faux pas when worn with my usual black trousers. I find white socks more comfortable.

Over the ankle when I have to wear them. I prefer being barefoot. I would like to try on tights, any day now.

@Mz Terry, yep😋😋 corrected that

Aquatic Paradox

Over the ankle and under the ankle socks in close to equal measure.

I wear shorts a lot, summer and winter. If the dresscode of my workplace didn't require me to wear trousers, I doubt I would ever wear them at all.

I prefer socks that come up a few centimetres above the ankle, but not too high. With my walking shoes or running shoes, they look perfectly OK and don't appear ridiculous in any way.

For me it has to be all or nothing; I always wear above ankle socks and a pair of substantial full enclosing lace-up shoes, or go completely barefoot. I hate and can't tolerate the feel of anything "half way" when it comes to footwear, such as sandals, flip flops, crocs, any sort of shoes without socks, or socks without shoes.

fooledbysecrecy

depends on the weather and the rest of my outfit. although these days i don't even go anywhere other than to do my essential shopping so can't even bother to wear socks every time.

Grumpy Alien

I wear knee highs and crew length socks 90% of the time. I only wear ankle length socks if I’m wearing shorts or a dress. With some dresses, I wear stockings/tights. So I guess it just depends a lot on my outfit.

everywhere and nowhere

I don't wear clothes which leave the knees visible. I do wear short pants for cycling, but only with cotton leggins or cotton pantyhose, because exposing my legs above the lower 1/4 (which I sometimes do only to shock people with the sight of unshaved female legs :twisted:) would feel very uncomfortable due to my nudity aversion. I have varicose veins on my legs and I'm too embarassed to have them visible.

However, I have a clear preference for over the ankle socks in other situations. And actually, I'm looking for ones which would be:

a) colorful,

b) with at least 90% cotton (<---allergy),

c) not knee-length, but a little higher than typical socks. In the winter, under my pants, to keep warm, I prefer men's long johns to women's pantyhose because a pantyhose contains at most 90% cotton (and usually no more than 80%), and Polish military long johns contain 100% cotton. However, it's strange... the ones I have are men's XL, so probably made for a man about 180 cm tall, I'm no longer fat, I'm only 163 tall, so I can't imagine how could these long johns be too short. And yet they are... maybe not too short, but definitely taut when they are held on the bottom by my socks and I slide my pants over them... So they often pull out of normal-length socks and I hate the feeling of having a gap between my socks and long johns.

I also sometimes wear knee-length socks at home because I have discovered than when my lower legs itch, clinging fabric is the best help, way more successful than ointment or cream.

Like some other people have said: For me it always depends on the temperatures and what I wear. I also don't have any type I prefer. I'm actually pretty indifferent in that matter.

Well, this is exactly the kind of question I wouldn't have answered anywhere else assuming there's some sort of sexual innuendo or joke I'm not getting and the results for answering "knee high" would inform me I like anal or something. I trust AVEN is safe though.😄

I wear no show or ankle socks with shorts usually, but sometimes calf length socks are alright too. especially if I'm just exercising, then sometimes these are more comfortable, and comfort/functionality is most important for me when exercising.

With pants I always try to wear calf length or a little shorter than calf, unless my pants are cropped, then I'll go with no show socks

OTK is tricky for me because my legs are too long for most OTK socks, so they become under the knee socks.

Aquatic Paradox
22 minutes ago, daveb said:

OTK is tricky for me because my legs are too long for most OTK socks, so they become under the knee socks.

tumblr_py1b04vAqP1x0ejm6o1_1280.jpg

I take it you don't own any socks like that then?

For work mid leg since I wear boots and for casual at ankle and below.

Galactic Turtle

I answered this question but then realized I never wear pants/skirts/dresses that fall above the knee.... except in sports where I wear knee socks or full leggings. 

Usually under the ankle. Sometimes I like wearing thigh high socks with shorts or skirts/dresses though. I go both extremes with my socks.

Above the ankle but below the knee ... whatever they call those kinds of socks. I have a pathological hatred of shorts so this is generally fine.

Alejandrogynous

I almost never wear a hemline above the knee (I'm a pants even at the height of summer kind of person) but regardless, my two options are: above-the-ankle socks if I'm wearing boots or no socks if I'm in flats.

Janus the Fox

Can wear any sock length, in any male or female style for the occasion.

If I'm wearing something that will reveal my knees, I wear below the ankle socks in the States or in casual situations, and tights or leggings or something (depending on season) in Japan. 

I've started liking higher socks that go all the way to my knees, but those barely stay up all the way and I prefer them with capris where I can enjoy the design and not worry about them slipping too low to look nice. 

below the ankle. very rare I wear anything above the knees though. Even rarer to wear them in public

• 2 weeks later...
MonsterTurtle

over the ankle because socks below the ankle have the habit of disappearing down my heel while I walk😂

I wear whatever is left in the sock drawer.

3 hours ago, Homer said:

I wear whatever is left in the sock drawer.

You just wear left socks? :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
Anomaly Q3Xr

I only own above the ankle socks, but I don't wear shorts ever, I only wear full length trousers.

• 11 months later...

@Skycaptain

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator

Archived