How can I spread awareness about aspec people?

Caliway

I really want to do something to help raise more awareness for the ace community and or other minority groups but I don’t know how. I have bad social anxiety that would make anything difficult.  I’m closeted with a few people that I’ve disclosed my sexuality with. Social media is definitely not a good platform for me because I very very rarely post, and some people like my parents could see something I am uncomfortable them seeing. I am a part of my school’s leadership so I could have a platform there if I could think of something. The leadership advisor is also one of the people who knows about me being aro ace so if I wanted to do something I would feel comfortable approaching her about it. My problem with using leadership as a platform is that there are already people who are outspoken so I don’t feel like there’s room for me or that my voice is important because the outspoken people generally talk more about racism and sometimes other things but sexuality isn’t relevant to a lot of high school leadership stuff. Like today one person who is in leadership posted that she will share anyone’s story on her own social media about experiencing racism/homophobia/sexism/transphobia or other hate. I’m not going to share my story with her for multiple reasons including that I don’t think she likes me that I’m uncomfortable with telling her, especially not before I tell close friends. I’m so afraid to do anything to help the ace community, so I would like ideas on how I can do something to raise awareness or different ways I can share my story.

I can totally relate to that feeling of wanting to do something and wanting to make a change, but also feeling like it's not your space or there's no room for you. I'm also afraid to post on social media and get nervous about speaking out on these issues, even if the issues are really important to me. But it's still cool that you're keen to do something!

Could you do something anonymously, like stick up some resources about asexuality on bathroom stalls, or submit an article to the school paper?

BellaBubTheExplorer

My school sounds a bit different to yours. There's not much going on about anything related to your romantic or sexual identity there. But if there's the chance to make this cause more well known, then you should take it and use it well.

I don't know exactly what's going on at your school, or where you live, but if you want my opinion, the best way to stay anonymous is to stay open and inclusive. Like @such suggested, leaving things for others to find is a good idea. If you don't want them to know it was you, then I'd probably put up all kinds of different flags, instead of just ace and aro ones. I'm also the artsy type. I might origami up some flowers on flag coloured paper. Hand made and put together with all your love and effort. You could laminate them to keep them safe if you wanted to, or put the meanings inside with no lamination, so if people unfold them, they'd see what the flags mean.

Also, is the other girl in leadership on this forum? You could always put together a whole bunch of stories from in a chat on here, and put yours in there as well, before giving them to her, to help her with her awareness page. Nobody would ever really have to know you put your story in there, unless you wanted them to. Just an option there. I mean, it's all about the options, isn't it? Good luck!

16 hours ago, BellaBubTheExplorer said:

Also, is the other girl in leadership on this forum? You could always put together a whole bunch of stories from in a chat on here, and put yours in there as well, before giving them to her, to help her with her awareness page. Nobody would ever really have to know you put your story in there, unless you wanted them to. Just an option there. I mean, it's all about the options, isn't it? Good luck!

I highly doubt she is on this forum as she is definitely very allo, and I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t understand what asexuality is. I did think about sharing my story with her, but I’m not comfortable with discussing it with her. I did think I could create a different social media account and share it, so I can stay anonymous. It might be a good way for me to talk about being aro ace with some friends since I could tell them it’s my story, and I would have control over who I want to tell.

The idea of putting up stuff around my school seems like it could be a really good thing for me to do. I’ve also learned recently that I’m not as bad at art as I thought so that would definitely not hurt me. Although if my school doesn’t end up opening when it’s supposed to it could be awhile before I could have the opportunity of doing anything.

BellaBubTheExplorer

@Caliway (I don't know how to do the reply comment thing, I'm trying though) this seems like a good opportunity to hit two blocks with one stone if you're willing. You can't exactly put stuff up at the school, but you can put up the stuff online and share stories with your student leader associate. Why not employ your friends to help you? I don't know how much your friends and family know about the LGBTA+ community or how busy they are, but they could be your first targets for awareness. If they helped you put the stories you share together, it could give them a good intro to the community, pros and cons, and it shows just how serious you are. (Did I say that last time. I think I did).

Either way, if there is something I find cool, it's when people make all those little pieces of art (on tumblr and stuff) with all different flag variation colourings, and then you go through and find the one that's for your pride. It's a nice special feeling when your colours are there, but, and around in your safe haven. They're certainly not an eyesore to people who know nothing about the community. I'm pretty sure I downloaded a background for a different pride not knowing it was that, 'cause it looked nice. If you put those on the leadership peers blog, it might make it a little more relaxing and open for other people with stories to tell them, and for the audience to be more accepting, not to mention giving the whole community awareness.

You don't even really have to tell the leadership blogger your story, just say that you're passionate about the topic, that the stories you have heard have moved you, and you want to do what's right. That it's not fair on the others who are hurting and alone, and that all people deserve better than disrespect when discovering who they are. Something bold like that. You could do it over text if you'd like, and send her the art as your comitment. I doubt anyone else will do it, especially for multiple flags that aren't their own prides. Unless you're in a big school, and you might still be a big help and influence.

Archived