1. 1. Were you spanked as a child?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. How much were you spanked?

• 1 time
    • 2-10 times
    • 11+ times or too many to count
    • 0 times
  3. 3. Is Spanking a child okay for punishment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I can only remember being spanked once never happened again after that one time.

Ms. Carolynne

I was spanked a couple of times when I was really young, nothing traumatic in my case.

I don't think it's productive though, and when I got older my parents actually talked to me, and came up with relevant restriction for punishment. I think corporal punishment just forces people to get in line, actually explaining things and teaching rational consequences is a far better route in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Ms. Carolynne said:

I was spanked a couple of times when I was really young, nothing traumatic in my case.

I don't think it's productive though, and when I got older my parents actually talked to me, and came up with relevant restriction for punishment. I think corporal punishment just forces people to get in line, actually explaining things and teaching rational consequences is a far better route in my opinion.

Sometimes explaining things isn't an option. I was a highly rebellious and stubborn child. 

I was a "problem child" to some teachers. IE lashing out. Threw a math book aiming for a teacher's head, along a laundry list of issues that always had me in trouble and eventually expelled.

Luckily missed, in hindsight. Hit the chalkboard next to it. 

I didn't respect anyone unless they commanded my respect. I had a chip on my shoulder. I never understood where all my anger came from until I got help to deal with it. 

As an adult am told am zen, but this came from an understanding that gave me control I never could have gotten as a youth. 

Some kids will work with explanation. Some will work with tough love. 

For me, tough love was the best way to get through to me. Only way. 

Did it have to be physical? Of course not. 

But I remember a grade school teacher who was sick of my behavior, and dismissing them. 

They picked me up, and forcefully sat me in my chair as they had asked me multiple times. Yelled in my ear until it rang, that I wasn't going to move until the end of that class. 

I never disobeyed that teacher again, and became a straight A student. He had asked for my respect. Now he was demanding it. 

Our relationship grew from there as he was able to benefit from my potential being met.  

I don't think hitting resolves problems, but to think most parents never once considered striking their children, would be a lie. 

Regularly losing that control speaks volumes on the person. I however, would not fault a parent for slipping up a couple times with a child like me. 

While I think talking and consequences will work most the time. Kids need parents who aren't afraid of disciplining them, too. 

I see so many parents so afraid of imposing harsh consequences. To me that is more of a disservice as you wind up raising a spoiled brat for the rest of the world to have to deal with. 

You think Donald Trump is the way he is if he got disciplined? 

I was always disciplined in other ways since I was young, enough to the point where it just didn't occur to me to do something I might get in trouble for unless I didn't know it would. Maybe having to listen to my brother get yelled at for hours on end and both of us told to stop crying if we did had an effect. Discipline didn't need to be physical because it was effective emotionally and mentally. I'd almost prefer for it to have been physical so that it didn't erode on my emotional health.

I was threatened with spanking quite a lot, but I'm pretty sure it was meant to be a joke. Crude sense of humor in my opinion. This is all coming from my dad by the way, I never tried to get in trouble with my mom because I didn't want to disappoint her.

MakeupJunkie4
8 hours ago, Acerna said:

Maybe having to listen to my brother get yelled at for hours on end and both of us told to stop crying if we did had an effect. Discipline didn't need to be physical because it was effective emotionally and mentally. I'd almost prefer for it to have been physical so that it didn't erode on my emotional health

Just want to say, discipline when done correctly should not be abusive - which it sounds like it was for you (emotionally speaking). Imo there's a world of difference between discipline and abuse, and sadly a lot of people don't know there's a difference. 😕 I'm sorry you went through that...I can relate. ❤

Depends if they are behaving bad then yes but you gotta let them know why they were wrong clearly.

If you are doing it because they are slow at math, not cooking well or "not active" like I was oh boy you can probably fuck them up for life.

Archived