Calling Aro-Allosexuals! representation in media?

nisse

Hi folks!

I'm planning a weekly/biweekly comic strip, featuring an aroace android and her best friend, an aro-bi person. it's mostly for me, where i want to explore being aromantic in a world where romantic love is seen as such an intrinsic part of being human (which is partly why the aroace one is an android; think the ADHD Alien comic strips!).

I'm however aroace, and i don't know any aro-allos irl. so i thought i'd ask the community: what's something you'd like to see in an aro-allo character? what's something you'd HATE to see? are there any characters you headcanon as aro-allo? 

I have a feeling there might be a double-whammy of "sluttiness" (heavy quotation marks there, we do not sex-shame in this household) if you are both bisexual and aromantic?

to note: the comic strip is ages away from seeing the light of day, but i'm in the planning process!

1 hour ago, nisse said:

Hi folks!

I'm planning a weekly/biweekly comic strip, featuring an aroace android and her best friend, an aro-bi person. it's mostly for me, where i want to explore being aromantic in a world where romantic love is seen as such an intrinsic part of being human (which is partly why the aroace one is an android; think the ADHD Alien comic strips!).

I'm however aroace, and i don't know any aro-allos irl. so i thought i'd ask the community: what's something you'd like to see in an aro-allo character? what's something you'd HATE to see? are there any characters you headcanon as aro-allo? 

I have a feeling there might be a double-whammy of "sluttiness" (heavy quotation marks there, we do not sex-shame in this household) if you are both bisexual and aromantic?

to note: the comic strip is ages away from seeing the light of day, but i'm in the planning process!

I think more like Sherlock when considering aro sexual people. For some reason he doesn't come across to me as entirely asexual, but very aromantic (in both the books and the BBC tv series). However I'm not aro, I just really don't like romance and try to avoid it as much as possible these days!!). Good luck with your writing!! 

Low End Things

I think I read somewhere that some aroaces don't like being compared to androids/robots since it relates to the idea that since aros don't have romantic feelings they don't have feelings at all, like machines.

That might not be the case anymore but I figured I'd mention it.

Hi. Just in case you don't receive many responses from heterosexual aromantic people here, perhaps, you'd might like to try asking over at an aromantic forum, https://www.arocalypse.com/. It's where, mostly, aromantic people--including heterosexual aromantics--post, and I think I've noticed more heterosexual aromantics there. 

@Low End Things i'm aroace myself, so i feel like i know how to navigate this! i'm aware of the stereotype, and i'm using the android as a way of exploring that stereotype and also that feeling within myself. it's a personal project, first and foremost, but also something i plan on posting online for others :)it's also partially inspired by Data from Star Trek - a character i love, but I have issues with how they wrote his quest to become human. 

@LeChat oh thank you! i had no clue there was an aro forum. i'll cross post there so!

Low End Things

Oh yeah all good! I figured you'd be aware, just wanted to bring it up.

3 minutes ago, Low End Things said:

Oh yeah all good! I figured you'd be aware, just wanted to bring it up.

it's a valid thing to bring up, as it is indeed something of an issue. kinda like the only non-binary character being non-human. so i appreciate it, truly 😄

I just want to take a moment and acknowledge @nisse and @Low End Things for this wonderfully polite and civil conversation ^^^. We see resolutions like this so rarely in public discourse nowadays, and it just made be so unbelievably happy to know that two people can work through an issue like that in a respectful manner.

• 1 year later...
hellodontgototumlr

Hey so this post is like months old at this point, but if you're still working on it I'd love to help. I am also-aro and enby no I'm not bisexual and though I'm still kind of figuring myself out in terms of my romantic orientation I'm sure I could be of some help, and this sounds like a lovely project and I enjoy stuff like this.

Janus the Fox

Locking this as unfortunately the OP has not responded in almost two years in this Thread.  But it is here in Open Mic a few months later from this Thread.

Janus the Fox

Current Questions about Asexuality, Romantic and Aromantic Orientations, and Site Comments Moderator

Archived