Having a type?

Is it possible to still find a certain type of beauty more favorable than others? I know that I find people aesthetically pleasing, but I find that I have a certain appearance that I like more than others. Does that mean that I would have a type? I think it could just be how a person presents themselves, but I seem to like people who have a more natural appearance.

• Like 1

Of course it is! It's the same as prefering art by Picasso than Warhol. I personally don't like the art = aesthetic attraction analogy, because I think aesthetic attraction can be stronger than just looking at a painting, especially when coupled with sensual/romantic attraciton. but the same concept carries across here. An interesting quote from "The Invisible Orientation" by Julie Decker:

"Some assume that if an asexual person has no sexual attraction to potential partners, that person would be able to be romantically attracted to any person regardless of sex, gender, gender expression, personality, aesthetic, or physical trait. That doesn’t happen to be true. Aesthetic attraction exists, and some who experience no sexual attraction will still prefer partners they think are physically attractive... Asexual people often have a type as well, which is sometimes dependent on gender or gender presentation.)"

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Acyn said:

Of course it is! It's the same as prefering art by Picasso than Warhol. I personally don't like the art = aesthetic attraction analogy, because I think aesthetic attraction can be stronger than just looking at a painting, especially when coupled with sensual/romantic attraciton. but the same concept carries across here. An interesting quote from "The Invisible Orientation" by Julie Decker:

"Some assume that if an asexual person has no sexual attraction to potential partners, that person would be able to be romantically attracted to any person regardless of sex, gender, gender expression, personality, aesthetic, or physical trait. That doesn’t happen to be true. Aesthetic attraction exists, and some who experience no sexual attraction will still prefer partners they think are physically attractive... Asexual people often have a type as well, which is sometimes dependent on gender or gender presentation.)"

Thank you for answering, this helps a lot😊

• Like 1
banana monkey

Hmm, this topic is interesting because I probably do have a type of person I find asethically pleasing (though I dont know if its asthetic attraction) unfortunately for me they all seem to be gay men. However, the one instance of romantic attraction I had, I didnt find the person asthetically pleasing at all and when they suddenly decided to grow a beard it was even worse, I definately find beards unattractive. I think it had much bearing on my romantic attraction though. I dont know if this is because I'm grayromantic or not, but I just wished to point out that people can have asthetic and romantic attraction that doesnt necessarily correlate. 

• Like 2
Janus the Fox

An aesthetic appreciation with a type preference can exist yeah.  Like with art, nobody is going to like every type of art that’s out there but have an appreciation for some or many types and slightly different as well is the type of art wanting to be owned, that be like a aesthetic attraction.

• Like 2

I actually heard the radio the other day say that "types don't exist," and we're attracted to positive qualities that make us feel good...or something like that. I disagree with that statement, because not only is it common sense to want to be with someone who makes you feel good, having a "type" means who you are generally attracted to. If you notice that all of your crushes generally look or act the same? That's a type. You're drawn to those qualities. It's basic knowledge. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2