Teachers Talk Group

GingerRose

No personal stories, but today Zoom wasn't working for quite a few teachers and students and my sis said it was really frustrating.

We moved off zoom and to ms teams. But, my class was in person. My teacher is one I like but she's never worked special needs before. It will be an interesting year....

But today I just played puzzles and the student "beat me" in two games putting them together and doing addition with them. 

I teach English literature at university, in a non-English speaking country. Students are 18+ and not very good at English usually, but get better because we don't give them a choice :lol:I only teach one class because it's not my main job though.

I'm not going to teach online since quarantine ended last May here. Teaching masked students is not going to make remembering names and faces easier though :lol:

But anything for safety.

My student doesn't know English. I've been surviving teaching him with google translate! The ELL teacher haven't reached out to me, I don't know who teaches him! Ah!

18 hours ago, GingerRose said:

My student doesn't know English. I've been surviving teaching him with google translate! The ELL teacher haven't reached out to me, I don't know who teaches him! Ah!

You dont have any ELL or ESOL assistants at your school? Google translate is kinda awful. Lol Reach out to someone for assistance!

10 hours ago, Serran said:

You dont have any ELL or ESOL assistants at your school? Google translate is kinda awful. Lol Reach out to someone for assistance!

We do but the ESL teacher for the student hasn't reached out to us and we don't know who they are, we are trying to find out.

Ya I know it's not the best, but I've been editing it after to make sure it is accurate. UPDATE THEY CONTACTED US ~ALL IS WELL.

• 3 weeks later...

My brain was addled this afternoon when I received an email from a parent telling us that out read aloud unit is just babysitting for her child and that she is going to pull him out of that as well as start to homeschool her child for math. Parents...can't stand them, but can't live without them.

• 1 month later...

Introduce yourself:

Aspiring Maths teacher, graduated with a BSc in Mathematics from Warwick University.

What ages do you teach?

I plan to teach 11-19 year olds in a sixth form college.

What subject is your favorite, or what one subject do you teach?

Mathematics, of course!

Are you going to be teaching online or in person this coming Fall?

Hopefully, by this time next year, I'll be working in the classroom.

What is one funny student story you have?

I've had no students up to yet.

26 minutes ago, Elsin said:

11-19 year olds in a sixth form college.

I'm confused I thought 6th form colleges were for 16+ year olds.

11 hours ago, GingerRose said:

I'm confused I thought 6th form colleges were for 16+ year olds.

Yes, you're right, but a lot of high schools have a sixth form attached - that's the type of school I want to work at. Ideally I'd teach only sixth form, but there are no bursaries or scholarships available for training to teach that exclusively and I'd only incur more debt from fees.

7 hours ago, Elsin said:

sixth form attached

I see, thanks!

Would 11 year olds be able to enter 6th form early, if they were academically advanced?

36 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

I see, thanks!

Would 11 year olds be able to enter 6th form early, if they were academically advanced?

I suppose they could but I've never known anyone enter that young. A year or two younger is probably more common nowadays. I personally started A level maths a year early while I was still in high school.

*Student advice needed*

I have a student who gets upset over seemingly small situations like a group member changing the font on a forum.

Each time she gets upset she says she is having a panic attack, can't go to class, and tells me that she wishes the student involved in the issue would change classrooms.

As much as I am concerned for her well being she is very entitled in all her requests when upset, that everything should revolve around her. She is 10 years old Her parents know she reacts this way but don't see her entitled feelings as an issue.

How do I help her feel less upset about small situation but not let her take over too much power and having everything go her way?

12 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

*Student advice needed*

I have a student who gets upset over seemingly small situations like a group member changing the font on a forum.

Each time she gets upset she says she is having a panic attack, can't go to class, and tells me that she wishes the student involved in the issue would change classrooms.

As much as I am concerned for her well being she is very entitled in all her requests when upset, that everything should revolve around her. She is 10 years old Her parents know she reacts this way but don't see her entitled feelings as an issue.

How do I help her feel less upset about small situation but not let her take over too much power and having everything go her way?

First thing I'd do is try to find the triggers... maybe it's sensory if it's stuff like fonts, font colors, etc? If so, try to find a browser extension or something that may help. Or, some other way of differentiating. Honestly, my kids with sensory issues will have a full on melt down and be unable to function if something hits them in the sensory nerve because at their age they haven't figured out coping mechanisms. 

And, while trying to help her figure it out, be firm in that the other students are entitled to their rights and comforts as well. If it's something huge for her and something tiny for them, then ask if they could all please use X font or whatever. But, she will also have to learn to cope with some things she doesn't like. Strike the balance and discover what are major issues and what are minor dislikes. 

24 minutes ago, Serran said:

First thing I'd do is try t

Thank you for the help Serran!!

Having panic attacks over something as small as another student using different fonts is worrying. Outside of what Serran said about applying a rule for all in the forum I can't think of much else to suggest. I mean, having panic attacks is quite serious - perhaps, if you're in contact with someone appropriate, you could suggest a mentor for her?

Archived