Any Tips for Writing Genderqueer Characters?

ace bookdragon

ace bookdragon

I'm thinking of writing a genderqueer character in one of my WIPs, does anyone have any tips on how to respectfully do so? Are there ways they should differ from cis people besides pronouns?

MaryPenelope

Well, exactly what is their relationship with gender? What does being genderqueer mean to them? Genderqueer tends to be more of an umbrella term in my experience, and context can be important 

maybe read blogs/posts/autobiographies of genderqueer people.

My suggestion is to read trans authors, many of whom have short stories out there on the internet:

• Foz Meadows
  • JY Neon Yang
  • Nino Cipri
  • Yoon Ha Lee
  • Rivers Solomon
  • Lee Mandelo
  • Sarah Gailey  
  • Bogi Takács (e also has a nice column on queer SFF on Tor.com)

The Transcendent and Beyond Binary anthologies are worth looking into. 

ace bookdragon

Thank you!

While I myself don't really know what I identify as for now (so anyone better informed out there, please correct me) but I'll just state my opinion I guess. 
For reference I really like the character of Alex Fierro, who is genderfluid, in the Magnus Chase book series by Rick Riordan. I think he wrote him/her very well, making the genderfluidity a part of his/her identity but also not the biggest part. Explaining it and some older people being confused by the concept but ultimately everyone accepted him/her as he/she is (I actually don't know if I should just say 'their' but the pronouns in the books always just vary between he and she, so I'm kind of sticking with that).
I would say to maybe research information about one genderqueer identity for the first time because genderqueer is an umbrella term and picking something more specific like genderfluid, non-binary, demigirl or whatever might make it easier for you writing a character like that for the very first time. I personally would probably just find that easier, or maybe even find an identity that you yourself can relate with. And reading other posts/blogs/watching videos by genderqueer people is also my recommendation just research for a bit I would suggest :)
Good luck with your writing, I'm sure it will turn out great!

Calligraphette_Coe
On 7/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, Ace Bookdragon said:

I'm thinking of writing a genderqueer character in one of my WIPs, does anyone have any tips on how to respectfully do so? Are there ways they should differ from cis people besides pronouns?

Imagine that you're the gender therapist trying to make the GQ character on the couch feel less hated and suicidal. Then imagine the universe has pulled a dirty trick on you and sent you back in time such that the GQ character is the Future You. If you can grok an understanding of that internal conflict, you're 25% of the way there.

Archived