Asexuality and homophobia

aerodactyl142

aerodactyl142

Do you think it's possible for a person to be accepting of asexuals but yet have some homophobic views? Or are they fundamentally the same issues?

Rhyn Corinn

Yeah...it's possible. I myself wasn't fully LGBT-affirming until near the end of May, something that I don't particularly like to admit. There were definitely times I felt like such a hypocrite, being so proud of being ace while at the same time hesitating to support other LGBT+ identities. 

On the other hand, finding out I was asexual and learning about the LGBT community through that was undoubtedly the catalyst for me becoming fully LGBT-affirming, so...idk.

Lord Jade Cross

Being accepting of one doesn't automatically mean being accepting of the other. Granted both fall under a similar spectrum so to speak but its a little how the LGBT community itself doesn't all support asexuality and the same thing the other way. There are even members within communities that don't really agree with the ideologies the community as a whole promotes so it's really a case by case type of thing.

Skycaptain

Perfectly possible. Where there is a crossover is when people assume that if you're not heterosexual you're homosexual because they've never heard of asexuality. A few people may think "Asexual doesn't worry me, homosexual might be eyeing me up", however inaccurate that may be. However, that's not to say that there aren't people who'd think the reverse "Single person may hit on me, two people of the same sex who are getting intimate won't be" 

I agree with what has been said above but I also remember hearing about the bigotry bigot-tree. I think that's what they called it. The phenomenon that people who dislike one minority are also more likely to dislike other minorities.

Janus the Fox

It exists, it’s rare but there’s old threads here that demonstrate it, hence why there’s a ToS rule against it.

aerodactyl142

There are some issues that overlap and when I bring it up one common response is, "but you're different". Makes me really uncomfortable for some reason.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:06 AM, Janus DarkFox said:

It exists, it’s rare but there’s old threads here that demonstrate it, hence why there’s a ToS rule against it.

You mean asexuals that went along with homophobia while not being hurt by homophobia itself or even heteronormativity? This is the perfect example of who the OP is asking about.

Janus the Fox
3 hours ago, R_1 said:

You mean asexuals that went along with homophobia while not being hurt by homophobia itself or even heteronormativity? This is the perfect example of who the OP is asking about.

There’s also Aces who hold homophobic beliefs regardless of their own Asexuality from other reasons.

Archived