How do you define your identity?

Caryne

I was curious to know how we identify - race, orientation, status, culture?

I identify as, firstly, a Chinese lesbian (now asexual), divorced, South African, living and working in Canada.

Just a Quail

Interesting! Most of the time I simply identify myself as a student. I sometimes use other identifiers like artist or american, but now that I think about it, I never really put them together. And even more rare is me using more personal terms like hispanic/latina or asexual. I'm not sure why, but it feels weird to do so. Maybe I'm internally rejecting these aspects of myself? I guess it's something for me to think about.

Galactic Turtle

Honestly? My occupation. I work in theatre and it's something I chose and have dedicated my life to. Everything else like race/sex/sexuality are all things that came already installed so while I can definitely acknowledge how they impact my life and how I interact with the world, they're things that don't inherently matter to me. 

letusdeleteouraccounts

I define my identity by ethnicity, sex, age, orientation, and then interests. I’m an African American guy who’s 18 and identifies as aroace. My interests are My Hero Academia, Pokémon, soccer, visual arts, and identity politics

I'm half Indian and half white, but I don't really mention it. It doesn't feel right if I think of myself like that. And my sexuality isn't really something I want to define me. I'm more defined by the things I like or groups I am a part of.

DarkStormyKnight

I primarily identify as a student, then as probably queer/gay/asexual to encompass all of that stuff. Then as an American I guess. But asexual is definitely up there since it's really the only label that I have a strong attachment to.

Cab driver, mainly because my other job is so unusual, there are only 20 positions like it in the world, and they're all in Britain, so explaining it is a PITA. European, because I disassociate myself from a nation that's chosen xenophobic isolationism, white, can't avoid, and Ace 

Anthracite_Impreza

A prick, generally.

Phantasmal Fingers
4 hours ago, Caryne said:

I was curious to know how we identify - race, orientation, status, culture?

Meaningless (or white, if you prefer),

none (i. e. ace),

meaningless/none (delete as applicable),

I am very familiar with Britain - since I grew up in it - but what speaks directly to me was first written down in Sanskrit, Tibetan, Chinese & Japanese. 

Anthracite_Impreza
25 minutes ago, CBC said:

Ukrainian heritage

I'd forgot that. I recently bought a game centred around 1700s Ukranian peasants growing weed and now I shall think of you xD

Anthracite_Impreza
3 minutes ago, CBC said:

I approve. 😂

I mean you are supposed to build a village and food supply too but who needs that?

Ace_SouthAfrica_87

Choose not to label myself, but if I have to, then here goes:

I'm a 33-year-old borderline Heterosexual/Asexual Caucasian South African man of English, Welsh, Dutch and French heritage having difficulty with understanding how the past has molded me into the person I am today. Could be a variety of deep dark emotional turmoil that I kept to myself, until recently. 

I just prefer to describe myself as an 'Enigma'.

andreas1033

I identify as european asexual.

I call myself european, as i feel not connected to my place of birth(which is london), and where i live.

So by definition i am a caucasian asexual, and thats about it.

Its why in my life, i am pro eu, i do not consider myself, to be part of any country, or belong to one. So being white, and asexual, and living in europe, i just call myself, a european, and an asexual(eunuch).

Both my parents are irish. I always believe, this led to my life being ruined in london, as during the troubles, irish people and families, had no protections against gov, or police destroying there lifes, for no reason.

I saw what london police, and gov did to irish people and there families, that lived in london during the troubles, between ireland and england. There was no protections for any sort of irish people or there families, if uk gov or police felt like targeting you for no reason, during the troubles.

I do not consider myself, to have any country. But i could claim english or irish, if i wanted. Na, i call myself european.

I am all for eu(glad it was made in my life), and was glad that uk voted out.

I am an Italian-Irish American, a writer and a student of the world. My gender identity is something only people here know. My family and friends think I'm like them (Except they're all married with kids and homes, whereas I've never even been on a date, have platonic male and female friends (My best friend is a married guy), and I live in a studio apartment by myself in a city). That is me.

1 hour ago, CBC said:

Um, just... me?

I'm a 35-year-old bisexual Caucasian Canadian woman of English, Irish and Ukrainian heritage who's kind of batshit crazy (my way of saying 'chronically mentally ill'). I'm not sure what you mean by 'status'?

Honestly I just prefer to describe myself as 'difficult'.

I guess I mean relationship status - single, separated, divorced, etc

• 11 months later...

I've always felt I was a mix of male and female traits (inwardly, not biologically), with a mental tendency to think male. I am wondering if this makes me nonbinary since I'm not rally one or the other.

Cat, I hear you. Thought about that for you, too. What is the difference between nonbinary and non-genderconforming? Is there a difference? I settle for my simple aroace identity. Happy Pride month!

Janus the Fox

Locking this as it’s rather old and it’s a regular topic that turns up all the time

Janus DarkFox

Current Policy Administrator, Covering Tea and Sympathy/(h)AVEN, Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings, Site Comments

Archived