I don't understand sexuality

Alanat

Please help me out here. 

I was watching a show where a straight male became attracted to a straight female and they bonded over shared interests. These interests drew them closer and the male admitted that he wanted to have sex with her. She admitted she did also, because they had so much in common. The male was distraught because he was married and loved his wife, so he sent the girl out and went home to his wife. 

Here is what I don't understand...if their shared interests brought them together, wouldn't they want to do those things together? Why did they automatically jump to sex? I literally cannot understand this. Like, oh I like that TV show too, let's have sex! What!? I don't get it. Watch the dang show with them. Please explain this to me!

6 minutes ago, Alanat said:

Please help me out here. 

I was watching a show where a straight male became attracted to a straight female and they bonded over shared interests. These interests drew them closer and the male admitted that he wanted to have sex with her. She admitted she did also, because they had so much in common. The male was distraught because he was married and loved his wife, so he sent the girl out and went home to his wife. 

Here is what I don't understand...if their shared interests brought them together, wouldn't they want to do those things together? Why did they automatically jump to sex? I literally cannot understand this. Like, oh I like that TV show too, let's have sex! What!? I don't get it. Watch the dang show with them. Please explain this to me!

Because it's TV, and on TV sex gets more attention, viewing and advertising revenues than say, the couple visiting an art gallery together 

Janus the Fox

The creative media is not an accurate representation of sexual life.  That is a Cheating plot line as well so there’s a lot of ‘excitement‘ being placed on the sex.  It isn’t exactly an accurate representation of actual Cheating either.

I have heard of people wanting to do that just because of common interests but I am more perplex when people want that from strangers

i guess because they have things in common it makes them more attractive to each other, hence higher sex drive especially if they're both in the mood already. the media is very sexualized though so there's also that

AceMissBehaving

Sexual attraction isn’t always based on physical looks. Anything can make someone desirable in that way, including bonding over a shared hobby.

This is actually more inline with how my sexual friends end up finding someone attractive than the really specific and honestly not that commonly experienced “looking at someone and wanting to have sex based on that” example we usually seen discussed in many ace spaces.

As to why they don’t just do the hobby, for some it can feel like emotional infidelity, or be too tense to continue platonically with someone they have strong feelings of desire for.

Archived