Chinese Government

GingerRose

Does your country support China? 

Frustration with the Chinese government is an understatement of how I feel about  what they are doing to their residents.

And it's not just this news story, there is more mistreatment happening in the past and currently, it will continue to happen if other countries don't stand up against their government and tell them this isn't okay.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53220713

11 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

if other countries don't stand up against their government and tell them this isn't okay.

To understand Chinese culture, is to understand that making them lose face in public no less, is a very grave insult to them.

One from which, they will take death VS backing down from a forceful rebuke. It will never stop until you do. 

Also, the Chinese literally owns the US. 

Most of their drugs are made in China. Materials and parts for electronics, to many other things the US depend heavily on China for. 

China could cripple the US economy if financial warfare were engaged due to their financial might allowing them to play the long game. The US does not have this luxury. 

Also, that very few would defy them. They have invested heavily in soft influence, globally.

From Billions in infrastructure in quite a few countries and even almost writing it off. 

Trump in 4 years, turned what was a heavy US influence into a joke.

Main reason they weren't worried when imposing stiff laws on Hong Kong protesters. 

With Covid, plus the dwindling US influence, how is one going to do anything about it? 

A stern message they laugh at? 

Military action? 

andreas1033

If the world, was unipolar, like the anglo, american israeli empire wanted, then they could bring any hell they wanted into the world.

The world, should be grateful, more than that power exists.

The world is never going to be perfect. A multi polar world, is better then a unipolar world.

33 minutes ago, Phoenix the II said:

It's not just China. 

Oh goodness I know.

I'm just bringing up an issue that many people in my country just seem to ignore.

13 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

never going to be perfect

Well of course not. Perfect is boring.

But Countries need to stop indirectly saying that what some countries do is "okay" because they are allies and trade partners. It's like my country just brush's China's behaviour towards its people under the carpet because they want to be on good terms and want to be business partners. Along with other countries like Saudi Arabia.

1 minute ago, Arodash said:

I in no way support the CCP. I love the people of China, I love who they are and their culture. But I have a hatred for their government that uses and abuses their people and operates modern slave labor camps. 

Absolutely to the love of their culture and people in that sense, but I don't think countries should just play nice an pretend China isn't mistreating their people. I'm not saying use military force like @Perspektiv mentioned but show them in other ways that what they are doing will no longer be ignored.

31 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

do anything about it? 

Well we might as well shut down all ways of trying to accomplish any change and just sit pretty till it blows over. No to the two you mentioned. Actions and speaking out help, but people have such a limited idea how negotiations work. Either violence or hippy peace talk. There are other ways to talk about and act on change.

1 minute ago, CBC said:

If a country is importing Chinese goods, they're supporting China. Are any countries not buying Chinese stuff...?

That's what I was playing at. Is there a way any country can survive without buying from China?

4 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Is there a way any country can survive without buying from China?

The US literally an over medicated country, buy over 97% of their drugs from China. 

The bulk of their precious metals to make your phone, your motherboard and all other deviced Americans are addicted to.

I haven't even touched base on food. If Americans truly realized how much of the "Made in the US" foods were actually farmed in China, they would be outraged. 

How much of the honey Canadians and Americans buy, that is cut with syrups as China undercuts the rest of the industry with cheaper honey. 

Covid-19 should have taught many countries that they are way too reliant on others for survival. 

But the market drives the demand. To bring back Chinese jobs to the western world, is to see prices skyrocket, and demand drop. 

Very few would have the balls to speak out about China, as it would deeply hurt their bottom line. 

China is notorious for bullying others using their financial might. 

Don't go to China. You will hate it even more. 

While traveling to China hasn't killed me, I am too outspoken to want to risk it again. Even Hong Kong seems risky for me now o_O

I think Taiwan is my new. Hong Kong. 

9 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

China owns most of us. They are even arrogant about it, because they know. 

Yep.

Just now, Perspektiv said:

Don't go to China

Really wasn't planning on it. I feel like no country is the best, especially not where I live.

10 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

ery few would have the balls to speak out about China, as it would deeply hurt their bottom line. 

China is notorious for bullying others using their financial might. 

Cheers, don't have em anyway.

Bullies shouldn't be allowed to get away with mistreatment like this, no country should. They all need to be taken from their high horse.

14 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

"Made in the US" foods were actually farmed in China, they would be outraged. 

Still dreaming to be self sufficient.

Just now, Arodash said:

The bigger they are. The harder they fall

And the taller...or at least that's what a child told me when I was rollerskating. *cry.

*Sigh I don't expect any major changes immediately, but I do hope to just bring more energy to this issue like BLM.

Scottthespy

On the one hand, many of the things going on in China terrify and disturb me. On the other, I think it is some form of arrogance to assume my way is better than any other way. I was born inside my way, I cannot view it subjectively, I am brainwashed by it and to it, and consider it 'the normal way'. I can't say that the people of my way, or any other way, have the right to force that way onto others.

I also don't know if any one has the power to tell China how to conduct its business. Most of its people are loyal to that government, or at least will fight for it to avoid consequences to their families. If it comes down to war, they have a lot of manpower to throw into the engines. Hell, they could cripple some countries by surrendering enough. Canada imprisons and cares for its prisoners of war. They'd bankrupt the country if ten to twenty million of them just showed up saying 'we surrender, take us into custody'.

I think BLM and its core message have been hijacked by bad actors unfortunatley. To the point that the BLM folk who are trying to get rid of extremists end up getting attacked and it sucks.

Oh yea for sure. I just mean there is a lot of recent energy around blm and protests so that same powerful quick rising energy needs to happen with this issue.

2 minutes ago, Scottthespy said:

assume my way is better than any other way

My country has a world of issues too, like one for still supporting China. I address these issues too, but I'm adding on with China. I think treating people decently and giving them rights to live their lives in their own religion and style in life as long as it doesn't violently affect another is my hopes for every country. I think this need to treat people like this is my subjective thought, it comes straight from my soul. And is just further more supported by the facts of history.

No, the jurisdiction isn't there, but say pulling out of a trade partnership might get their attention. War? I would pick neutrality if it came to it.

home grown production

Can you clarify?

andreas1033
42 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Well of course not. Perfect is boring.

But Countries need to stop indirectly saying that what some countries do is "okay" because they are allies and trade partners. It's like my country just brush's China's behaviour towards its people under the carpet because they want to be on good terms and want to be business partners. Along with other countries like Saudi Arabia.

If the world was just one power, like i said above, these people could do anything to anyone, and get away with it. History is full of refugees, escaping persecution.

If one group of people ran planet earth, than where would those persecuted by those who ran the world go? Nowhere.

History is full of persecuted people fleeing.

The world needs to be multipolar, and the world will never be a perfect world.

America showed, the world for 20 years, what a nightmare it was, for anyone in americas way, of them getting what they wanted, when they were the sole power. From start of 90's, to 2011 or so, america could do what they want.

Look what they did.

Ruined yugoslavia, then iraq, then libya, then syria. Thankfully russia stopped them in syria.

The world was moaning back in 2003, about how they did not want america blowing up iraq, but who was going to stop them? No one. People should be so grateful russia came back, and stopped them in syria.

A world ran by one group of people, namely the anglo american israeli empire, would of been a nightmare. Tell me, where would the people those who run the world goto, if only one group of people ran the whole world?

Human history if full of human refugees escaping persecution.

A unipolar world, as proven from start of 90-2011 or so, was a nightmare. America would not listen to anyone, and back in 2003, the public was begging america not to invade iraq. Did america listen, no, they did not. Who was going to stop them? No one back then.

People should be so glad russia came back, to stop usa in syria.

30 minutes ago, andreas1033 said:

Did america listen, no, they did not.

America is bleh too on this aspect of wars and invasions.

3 hours ago, Arodash said:

But America has to be the world police. We cant concentrate on our own issues, just get involved in everyone elses crap.... 

Bleh, it's like first it was the British Empire had to be the big parent who controlled everyone and now it's America.

Reference the original question. I'm British, and our country is well and truly in hock to China. There's even a direct rail freight service between the two nations. We buy all their low added value consumer goods, they spend money getting their children educated here and keeping Bicester Village outlet centre busy, - so many Chinese nationals go there that signage at Marylebone Station is bilingual, English and (I believe) Cantonese -, so turning a blind eye to some of their worse atrocities is simply realpolitik. 

Americans didn't take China seriously, and in the midst of neoliberal outsourcing fervor they thought China would forever be only a slave nation making cheap goods for them. Gotta love neoliberals self-owning themselves so hard. Now they have to resort to questionable tactics against Huawei because they know Western tech companies are fucked.

10 hours ago, Scottthespy said:

On the other, I think it is some form of arrogance to assume my way is better than any other way. 

I would have to agree, short of mass genocide. 

China is very good at keeping their population in line. They are very good at growth as a result. 

They are born and bred, to think almost militarily into serving their country. They have this obsession with money socially. 

Investment and business run in their bloodline. 

We like our freedoms but democracy just like any other means of running a country can have its shortfalls. 

10 hours ago, Scottthespy said:

They'd bankrupt the country if ten to twenty million of them just showed up saying 'we surrender, take us into custody'.

You don't understand Chinese culture if you feel surrender would be an option to most. Losing face is just not an option to the Chinese. Best to commit suicide instead, to understand the way some think. 

10 hours ago, GingerRose said:

I think treating people decently and giving them rights to live their lives in their own religion and style 

One thing you will notice in going to China is its a gorgeous country. 

They get shit done. Mass cross ocean bridges, tunnels. Built on or ahead oh schedule quite often. Skylines in many cities are just stunning. More when you realize how quickly they rose above ground. 

Just the sheer level of engineering you will encounter, is often jaw dropping. 

They strongly believe that such liberties are a waste of time. 

You look at this Covid-19. They cracked down heavily with little protest. As a result a country of billions, controlled the spread. 

Hong Kong was weakening, as Shenzen right across it, was booming. 

China has tons of money. 

Do yourself a favor and visit HK. Tell me what city on this planet has a better run bus and subway system. 

Has a better network of highly accessible sidewalks and the like. 

Once the dust settles, it will regain its status as a powerful economy within China. 

They don't tolerate dissent. 

But who are we to tell them how to run their country, when numbers tell you they have done an incredible job when you look at growth and rapidity of it. 

Archived