My Girlfriend is Asexual

ABnSW

I am 18 and I learned something about my girlfriend that I didnt know. My girlfriend(16) told me the other night that she is an Asexual, that was a little confusing for me. After she explained it and I did a little research I feel I grasp the concept rather well but there's one thing that I question. Is there any chance that she may one day change her opinion? I am in love with my girlfriend, and I dont need to sleep with her to be in an awesome relationship, but one day I want to get married and have kids. I dont know if she will ever want kids though. Ive read that many Asexuals go the route of artificial incemination, and thats not what I want. I know it sounds like I am being a little selfish because I havent yet considered her wishes in the matter, but I am a little more traditional and feel that nature should run its course. Im just really confused, I know the best thing to do would be to talk to her about it, but I dont want to scare her away, or make her feel like I am pressuring her into something she doesnt want. I. know it may seem a little early for thinking about things like this, but I really love this girl and one day I plan on marrying her. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I don't know where Blue Rock is, but if you're 18 and she's 16, it may or may not even be legal to have sex with her where you live. So yeah, it's probably a bit early to be thinking about those things.

BTW, being asexual isn't an "opinion". :)

Blue Rock is a town in Ohio, but Im not saying that I want to have sex right now. What I am getting at is that if we decide to get married, I want to have kids and she doesnt. I also know that if she truly is asexual, not someone who just doesnt want kids, then I dont know what I would do. I mean I love her and I want to have kids, but even if she would have sex, I would be worried that she would feel pressured or she might not enjoy it and it would be strange for me. Im just realy confused. I dont know what to do or think. and I didnt mean opinion, I meant orientation.

I wouldn't hang your hopes on her changing her mind about being Asexual. It's possible, but I just don't think it would be healthy for you, her, or the relationship to even consider it unless it actually happens.

However, she very well might decide to "compromise" with you, eventually having sex as a way to show that she loves you and wants to do something for you that you will enjoy. Many asexuals are willing to do this. If the only time you ask her to have sex is to reproduce, I think the chances are relatively high that she will give it a shot, though of course I cannot speak for her.

There is an asexual married couple (sorry if I am in your business here, K & L) who eventually got curious and tried sex with each other, just once, just to see. So obviously, if there is no pressure for her to do it, she may just decide on her own that she wants to try, for reproduction or just to try it out.

As an asexual, I want to thank you so much for not pressuring her and trying to understand her. I really hope your relationship works out. In the future if you start itching for sex, of course talk to her about it, but please remember, the more pressure you put on an asexual to have sex, the less inclined we become to do it. It has to be a free choice. There is a huge difference between expressing a desire for sex and talking about your differences and actually putting pressure on her to do it.

Thanks for the advice, Im still not sure if she is Asexual in the sense that she just isnt inclined or ever wants it, or she just doesnt want kids. but thats years ahead of us, I just think way too far ahead.

Yay for supportive sexuals!!! You're 18 and she's 16? I'm older than you are and I'M to young to think about any of that. Let things take their course, take the time to enjoy your relationship the way it is.

Cipher is right. We don't know the laws of your state, but in many states, 16 is underage. You sound like a nice kid, but think twice before you do anything with anybody -- it could get you into trouble!

Asexuality is not an "opinion" -- it is very real. I'm in my 40's, and I've been this way for "forty something" years! It's like this... you're 12 or 13... and suddenly, all your friends go nuts -- they are hanging out in the school yard and see the scruffy kid the nuns hired to do janitorial work, "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!!! He's sooooooo cute!" They all giggle and you're like, "Yeah? So? So what he's cute?" Everyone notices the janitor-boy is cute but you! Time goes by, your friends drop out of college because they get pregnant and end up working in McDonalds, and you still don't think the janitor is cute. Time goes by and your friends are married & divorced several times each... And you are happily sleeping with a tabby cat! Purr-purr-purr is the sound I hear as I go to sleep. Which is I suppose better than listening to my dear husband mumble some other broad's name, right. "Sally... oh Sally... " "Wake up! Who's this Sally?"

Now, she might be asexual, or she might be a late bloomer, so who knows. You have to live a long time before really understanding a lot in life. You kids still have a long way to go before you're really grown up.

You might marry her, you both might marry other people, you might stay friends, she might not marry & she might end up with a cat and you might end up with three ex-wives and five sets of step kids. You never know what your life will be. It's hard to know at 18 what the future holds. The only way to find out is to wait & see as the years roll by...

thebrightside

I would love to put up something helpful, but I think M51 pretty much said exactly what I was going to. :)

You certainly can't expect that things will change, and you can't put pressure on her or she will pull away. Have patience. Perhaps sex with the intent of having children is something she would be interested in one day, but that's something that, years down the road, she's going to have to decide for herself. It probably won't be an easy decision of an asexual to make, so be sure to support her whatever conclusion she comes to.

I also wanted to say how much I appreciate that you've joined AVEN to discuss this. Your girlfriend would probably thank you for being open and supportive too. Does she know you joined, by the way?

Continue to be understanding, and know that you can also turn to AVEN for advice!

I say just have a good relationship for the time being, and if you're still together when she's 23 and you're both independent, then you start talking about babies!!!

Asexuals can have sex if they must, some are repulsed by it, others find it ok but nothing special. But if you both want kids at that point, I'm sure she will love you enough to make that compromise.

Just be glad she is fertile. I kinda wish I was.

Well personally I think it's good you're considering these things, but this is just my opinion. Sure right now its not first on the list, but I think its good that you're mature enough at your age to seriously consider what you feel you need in a relationship and how this might affect things further down the line with the one you have now. It does depend on what stage the relationship is at, how serious it is and how comfortable you are with each other. But I say, if both people are serious about it being a long-term relationship and are comfortable with each other, then being able to open and honest about personal needs, however far in the future they may come, is a great and valuable thing.

Of course if your question is if she will change her sexuality in general I'd say... don't bother and quit now. But you seem to say it's not the asexuality in general that concerns you and that you'd be happy without that aspect of a relationship, which is really positive and I'm sure she'd be happy to hear that.

So if it's just a question of how she feels about kids (with anyone) then thats not so bad. Some people just arent interested in having kids at all, whether they're asexual or not so this kind of question can come up even outside of relationships, just casually, so its not so strange. As you're in a realtionship though she may get the wrong idea if you don't assure her its just a general question and not a priority for you now, especially as you'd also probably want to know (if she says yes) if she means adoption etc.

She may not even want to ever get married. Some people don't believe in marriage. Of course don't get down on one knee when you're asking about that one! =P

But on the surface these sound like general "slice of life" questions... like "What job do you want when you're older? What kind of house do you think you'll have?".

If you say what you said here about no pressure etc. and you think she is equally serious about the relationship being long-term then she may appreciate why you're asking, but of course if she doesnt want to talk about it then the no pressure thing will help.

I just take this view because if if its really important to you to have kids and get married etc. then it might be best to find out.

It would be much more difficult to sit on a question that you feel is very important to the outcome of the relationship, only to find out 5 years down the line when you finally ask that it's a flat "never" to both. It may be that she'll feel as strongly about not having kids as you do about having them. Some people aren't prepared to compromise when it comes to certain aspects of their life, it won't mean they love that person any less than someone who will, but depending on how important it is for the other person, it could end the relationship anyway. In those 5 years you will of grown even more attached and invested alot more time and emotions into everything, so it would be even more difficult to break things off, if its a make-or-break type deal. By the sounds of it, it seems it is.

She obviously is thinking about the future too and must be serious about the relationship to of been honest and told you about being asexual. As she brought it up, it seems like a good opportunity to discuss. I don't think it'd scare her if you say what you said here: it not being a concern/important to you now, not wanting to pressure her and so on. When she considered telling you about being asexual she may of had the same concerns about scaring you off by bringing up sexuality etc at this early stage.

And yeah I don't know either about the age of consent issue... in England 16 is the legal age, but it might be different for you. If she is underage then you'll have to be all the more clear regarding the fact you don't see it as a consideration for the present or as top of your list right now and so on about your intentions when asking.

However you know your own realtionship and your own girlfriend better than me. So only you can really know if these questions can be comfortably brought up or not. I don't really care about the ages since as you say, its not like you're saying you must get married now etc. In my opinion someone at 16 can sometimes be more mature than someone at age 25, but you know her better than me, so its up to you to know if she'd be prepared to talk about such things. Ultimately the decision is yours. I also agree that time can change things etc. so she may not exactly know at this time... really depends on how strongly she feels about it.

Since I'm the only oens aying this, feel free to ignore me. =D

Anyway I hope it works out for you, it seems that you're very serious about the relationship and its good of you to be considerate.

Right now this isnt a life or death situation. Im just thinking ahead. just to re-clairify, I meant to say orientation, not opinion. and Im not planning on having kids now, in a few years. I dont have to have kids to be in a good relationship, its just something that I would like. If she never wants kids, thats ok, it isnt a "deal breaker". I truly love this girl, I am willing to compromise. I mean Ive gone 18 years without sex, and im not looking at it as a recreational activity, just a way to reproduce.

Well good for you, then, for not seeing it as a recreational activity. Most boys your age (and a lot of girls) just see it as "something to do."

You sound like a nice sensible kid. Your parents will be proud of you.

Sorry I misunderstood then, thanks for clarifying. I'm glad to hear that those things wouldn't be an absolute must and that you're open to whatever she wants, I hope it works out for you since you'd prefer certain things but I'm very glad to hear you'll be perfectly happy with the alternative and its a good sign that you'll have a great and understanding relationship together. Especially as you're both at an age where life can throw alot of changes at you, you seem to have the right kind of atitude to take those changes and make considerate decisions to stay together.

As that is the case I fully agree with everyone else, simply enjoy and see where things go! =)

thylacine is right, you sound very mature and understanding. I'm positive with that kind of attitude things will work out just fine. I'm happy for you both and wish you all the best for the future.

str8fuknpimpin
Well, I don't know where Blue Rock is, but if you're 18 and she's 16, it may or may not even be legal to have sex with her where you live. So yeah, it's probably a bit early to be thinking about those things.

BTW, being asexual isn't an "opinion". :)

double that

It is a little early to be thinking about that stuff.... Do you even know whether or not she's antisexual? Maybe she'd be ok with having sex for reproductive purposes. Also, she might be against it now, but change her mind in time. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. Wait until you're both ready for kids (assuming you both want kids), and then start talking about options. Maybe she won't want sex, maybe she'll be ok with it. You never know... You could talk to her now, about what she'd be comfortable with, but be open to possible change, as well as open to no change.

Sendbillshere

This kinda situation can be very confusing ABnSw. But you sound like a very mature kid to want to keep from putting so much pressure on her. Not to pop your bubble but after around the late teenage years, people rarely change, at last from my experience from other people. Heck that's what being a teenager is about, growing up into the person you'll most likely remain for the rest of your life.

I'm glad you really want kids, that's great but right now, take it slow. Enjoy your relationship without the extra hassle. I say this a sexual guy dating an asexual girl. Maybe one day she will see sex or havin' babies as something she feels willing to experience but that's not something for you to cling unto as a possibility. Simply sit back and enjoy her for who she is. Not everything is set in stone, relationships especially but if you truly dig this girl and she truly digs you then don't push or worry. But you seem to be on the right track by acknowledging the possibilty of her dislike of marriage or kids as not being a deal-breaker.

Just work with the now. The rest will come later.

It would be nice if some of you read my replys to other people, I clearly stated that this is NOT life or death, or a deal breaker. Im just thinking about years down the road. And I also restated twice that I meant Orientation, NOT opinion.

Sometimes people read the first few posts, and then go ahead and post their reply. It's just something that happens on boards like this, and I have been guilty of it myself when I read an initial post I feel strongly about. They are just trying to help you or help you understand something. They mean well.

Overwhelmingly the response to you has been very positive, so I wouldn't worry about it. If you already answered their questions or concerns, let them figure it out when they get around to reading the whole thread.

Don't worry, be happy.

Sounds like you're on the right track for a great relationship, even with this difference.

I'm an asexual female with a sexual boyfriend who has been my friend for nearly four years, though we've just been dating for over 1 year now.

I know at age 16, I would definitely not wanted sex. I differ from your girlfriend in that I do want children, but I feel her situation as a young girl that is under the impression that all a guy wants is sex.

I am VERY impressed with your honesty and commitment towards her, that is absolutely wonderful. She is a lucky girl. However, it may be hard for her to overcome the culturally ingrained idea that guys want sex, like, all the time. This is just a heads up, that no matter how many times you tell her the truth about your feelings on sex and how it can wait, and even if she believes you, there will be this stigma that adds pressure to her.

Previous responses are correct in saying that when an asexual is pressured, they become even "more A" than before. This happens to me with my boyfriend often, despite his amazing love and concern for my comfort and happiness.

I am 21 years old, and just recently sexually active, something I wasn't sure would ever happen.

Trust is a huge thing for me as an asexual. It took a long time for me to be able to do very physical things with my boyfriend, despite trusting him. It seems that trust over a long period of time was the key for me.

Being comfortable enough to do something that big took a lot of love, a lot of trust, and a lot of maturity.

I am "less A" than most on this site, as I can sometimes enjoy physical things with a partner, though I don't usually seek them out (hence the "gray-a" in my sig - from the gray zone on the AVEN triangle). Any sexual type things are only imaginable with my boyfriend, so in a sense, I have become "less A" with him, but remained the same in the rest of my life.

This of course is all my story, and not necessarily anyone elses. Your girlfriend may become MORE asexual over time just as easily.

I guess I'm just giving you hope that if you wish to have kids the natural way, and maybe even have occassional sex in the long future, your girlfriend may become more receptive with love and time. Not saying that she will enjoy it, or want it, but life always changes and I've surprised myself with how much I can do physically now, compared to what I would have thought five years ago. (A word of advice, though - don't try to offer this story as an example to her, because she likely will see that as pushing)

Once again, you are amazing for being so considerate to her feelings, and I encourage you to continue this trend. When you talk about it with her, as you should often (communication is key), remember that she will always feel pressured because of social stigma, and you need to be honest with her, but don't push the idea of her changing eventually as the solution. Just let things play out as they will. If you two are meant to be together, you will work things out - just don't force this, or there will always be a background of guilt and frustration.

Best of luck! You sound like you're doing great so far!

(edit: if you wish to talk about how to positively deal with this more with me or with my boyfriend (who has an AVEN sn), send me a PM, and we'd be happy to help!)

If you really don't care about sex yourself and only see it as a means to reproduce (sure you're honest there? After all you're sexual - you know it's ok to enjoy sex...) then why is it so important to you that babies are made naturally? Why is insemination not an option? :?

Anyway, if the whole thing bothers you, talk to her NOW. If I were her I'd like to know what goes on in your head when you think about our future - even if it's years ahead.

Oh, and one thing I'd like to say to thylacine:

Your negative attitude towards people who fall in love, marry and like sex annoys me. They don't all fuck up their lives. Go and vent your spleen somewhere else...

This is years down the road, but Im just thinking about it now. Its more of an emotional thing for me that, if we ever did have children, it should be natural. I mean seriously, if she doesnt want to have sex but she does want children through artificial incemination, then I would be fine with that, its mainly her decision, because if she does want kids, then she does 99.9% of the work. until the babys born, that is. I am intouch with my own emotions. Its really hard to explain, I kind of feel it would make me less of a man if artificial insemination were the only way. now I know thats not true, but hey. thats why I'd much rather it be natural, but if she doesnt want kids naturally or not at all, I would be fine with that because its her decision. I may be young, and I may not know what love is, but If it means caring about her, respecting her and putting her happiness before my own, then I am in love.

Okay now look Movies Only:

1. That's all I see around me is people fighting and betraying each other. This is just my experience in life. I really don't care what people do with their lives. Honestly, this is all I ever see. Yesterday I was at the mall shoping and there was a couple about to get into it, snarling at each other. My aunt says she discovered her husband has been cheating for 50 years with various & assorted little blonde tramps. My cousin just got married -- she says she loves him -- other people in the know think it's really about getting someone else to pay her credit card bills.

2. And it's not necessary to get personal. If you want to disagree, fine. But you do not need to get personal.

I don't think my comment sounded more offensive than your own:

It's like this... you're 12 or 13... and suddenly, all your friends go nuts -- they are hanging out in the school yard and see the scruffy kid the nuns hired to do janitorial work, "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!!! He's sooooooo cute!" They all giggle and you're like, "Yeah? So? So what he's cute?" Everyone notices the janitor-boy is cute but you! Time goes by, your friends drop out of college because they get pregnant and end up working in McDonalds, and you still don't think the janitor is cute. Time goes by and your friends are married & divorced several times each... And you are happily sleeping with a tabby cat! Purr-purr-purr is the sound I hear as I go to sleep. Which is I suppose better than listening to my dear husband mumble some other broad's name, right. "Sally... oh Sally... " "Wake up! Who's this Sally?"

To me, this seems to suggest that all girls who think the janitor-boy is cute are a little stupid and inevitably fuck up their lives because of a man.

There is also no need to congratulate ABnSW for not enjoying sex as a recreational activity. A lot of people do and it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people or disrepectful to their partners.

I know couples who fight and cheat and exploit each other, and I know couples who seem to be reasonably happy with each other. I can't believe you've never once seen a happy couple. No offence, but it sounds to me as if you don't want to see them. I mean, e.g., why do you care more about what other people say about your cousins relationship than about what she says herself? And the way you express your opinion can come across as pretty aggressive sometimes, especially as you keep saying that sort of thing over and over.

I don't think my comment sounded more offensive than your own:
It's like this... you're 12 or 13... and suddenly, all your friends go nuts -- they are hanging out in the school yard and see the scruffy kid the nuns hired to do janitorial work, "Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!!! He's sooooooo cute!" They all giggle and you're like, "Yeah? So? So what he's cute?" Everyone notices the janitor-boy is cute but you! Time goes by, your friends drop out of college because they get pregnant and end up working in McDonalds, and you still don't think the janitor is cute. Time goes by and your friends are married & divorced several times each... And you are happily sleeping with a tabby cat! Purr-purr-purr is the sound I hear as I go to sleep. Which is I suppose better than listening to my dear husband mumble some other broad's name, right. "Sally... oh Sally... " "Wake up! Who's this Sally?"

To me, this seems to suggest that all girls who think the janitor-boy is cute are a little stupid and inevitably fuck up their lives because of a man.

There is also no need to congratulate ABnSW for not enjoying sex as a recreational activity. A lot of people do and it doesn't necessarily mean they are bad people or disrepectful to their partners.

I know couples who fight and cheat and exploit each other, and I know couples who seem to be reasonably happy with each other. I can't believe you've never once seen a happy couple. No offence, but it sounds to me as if you don't want to see them. I mean, e.g., why do you care more about what other people say about your cousins relationship than about what she says herself? And the way you express your opinion can come across as pretty aggressive sometimes, especially as you keep saying that sort of thing over and over.

Well, if we assume the divorce rate is 50% (I am too lazy to find the statistics myself but if anyone wants to correct this figure go right ahead 8) ), and if we assume majority of people had at least 1 more relationship before they got married, than that would mean about 75 percent of all “love you forever” relationships have a very finite “forever”. If we assume majority of people who find their “one and only” have 2 previous relationships, that 75% would rise up to about 83%. So I’d say Thylacine’s view on relationships is actually correct for the majority of cases, and her remarks are, well, right on the mark (even if she said them with a bit of “black” humour).

And I, personally, rather like her sense of humour... :lol:

Oh, humour.

Ok, most relationships don't last forever. That doesn't mean they're bad as long as they last. I suppose a lot of people don't feel that love and sex are not worth getting into unless you have a guarantee that it will all be eternal... People fall in love, are happy, fall out of love, are unhappy, separate, are happy again... Personally I'm not into this game, either, but if others are, fine. But thylacine was talking about exploitation, deception, abuse etc. and suggesting it's all there ever is. I kind of missed the funny part.

Of course a lot of relationships are not bad while they last, but when they are at their “death throes”, the former “loves forever” can get rather nasty. And even if they do not get nasty, there is all that placing the blame on one’s ex, and generally avoiding to take responsibility for one’s actions :roll: . Also, I do not really know what percentage of people actually separate on civil terms or stays friends afterwards, but I’d bet there are quite a lot of nasty endings. Also, I learned from several sources USA has quite a problem with teen pregnancies, and general stupidity (though this latter one is most certainly not something restricted to USA), and making fun of such practices is, well, fun…

And how come you missed the funny part? 8)

Maybe she should put big laughing smilies behind her rants, so that even people like me get it. Like this she sounded rather bitter to me...

You know, I really don't want to be offensive, and I don't even mean thylacine in particular, but something that I've noticed rather a lot on AVEN is that people make a big fuss about the fact that they do not have any trauma, aversion or negative attitude regarding love or sex and are simply totally indifferent to it - and then they go on to say something like: Though, actually, I guess, it's quite lucky I am the way I am, because if I were different, I would probably only drop out of college in order to change the nappies of my 5 terrible children, be beaten up and deceived by my husband, have to go through a terrible divorce, catch an STD, have to put up with the ickiness of ejaculate etc... (There are similar things that the guys like to say, i.e. I'd only be manipulated by my money-grabbing girl-friend etc.)

It somehow doesn't go together for me. I mean, no negative attitudes? Or maybe everybody is always joking, and I just never get it...

Isn't it possible to just be uninterested in something without knocking it?

Well, I suppose people just read a little too much the “black chronicle” section in the newspapers :lol:

Anyway, there was only one person in my year that paused college because of the pregnancy, and she returned to it after a 1-year pause. And I really do not think very many people would quit college – after all I heard it is extremely expensive in the USA…

But, I do agree with you there are quite a lot of people here who have a rather distorted view of sex, and I think I made a rant similar to your own on another thread somewhere. I suppose they just confuse stupidity with sexuality :roll: .

Though, I still think some sarcasm on the picture of sexuality the media and some people (I’d use the word “idiot” here, but I do not want to be rude… 8) ) serve us is rather refreshing and welcome. That’s why I found Thylacine’s post funny - I thought it was a satire of the above-mentioned annoyances, I do not think she meant the other 99% of human population (or even majority of that 99%) behaves in such manner.

Yeah... thanx Reptile & Cipher...

Like, let's have a sense of humor around here, people! Lighten up!

"... I've noticed rather a lot on AVEN is that people make a big fuss about the fact that they do not have any trauma, aversion or negative attitude regarding love or sex and are simply totally indifferent to it - and then they go on to say something like: Though, actually, I guess, it's quite lucky I am the way I am, because if I were different, I would probably only drop out of college in order to change the nappies of my 5 terrible children, be beaten up and deceived by my husband, have to go through a terrible divorce, catch an STD, have to put up with the ickiness of ejaculate etc... "

Well... think of it this way... our lives are different from many people's lives, and this is what we see around us. We see friends, relatives, people we care about, in bad situations, and when I see someone I care about unhappy it breaks my heart. I once offered to lend a girl money to get away from her abusive man, to get her own apartment, so she could get on her feet, and I wasn't going to make her pay it until she could pay it back... but she would not take the opportunity to get out. She stayed with him. I don't know why, but she did. He drank, abused her five year old son from a previous relationship, cheated on her, was abusive, and she stays with him. To me, this is incomprehensible.

I know I sound sarcastic sometimes. I inherited my father's sense of humor -- it was very dark -- yes, a "black" sense of humor. He was even worse than I am. Much worse. But unlike my father, I genuinely care about people all around me. And when they hurt, I hurt. When they're sad, I'm sad. This is how I deal with the negativity around me...

And when they won't leave an abusive person, I do not think they are stupid or bad. I just do not understand it, that's all. I'm a very independent person. Many people are not. But still, I feel bad when people I care about are being hurt. I deal with it this by telling these tragic stories, I guess... I really feel awful for my aunt, who admitted her husband has been cheating for 50 years, after telling everyone her family is perfect. It's really sad, her kids married people who are abusive & into hard drugs, and one of my cousins married a guy who might be addicted to pain killers, the other married a guy who ran off with a hooker who was also a drug dealer... another cousin married an alcoholic wife & they are broke sending her to treatment... it must really tear my aunt apart to see this... I look on and see the tragedy, and it all makes me sad. And I say, "Sheesh. I'm glad it's not me." I'm not bitter. But this is what I see.

Archived