Asexual Characters

ShiroTora

To think about it, there is probally a good hand full of them out there, in TV shows, comics/manga, movies and books. We might even never noticed them before. One that I know of, and I'm very sure all of you know who this is....Jughead! From the Archie comics. He was always my favorite character. Who else...hmmm Well, there is Colin from the web comice Friendly Hostility and...OOOH, from one of my favorite animes Ouran Host club *you can watch all the episodes on Youtube* Haruhi , though its not certain if she is Asexual or not, though she is completely clueless about relationships and attraction.

Who else?

:D

No way... Spongebob is anything but: http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0403/spongebob.html :shock:

Oh my GOD! This is so stupid...! That man must be insane! That's the way that a nose is drawn in some cartoons... Oh my God! I'm... I'm... speachless!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You really made my day, Cipher!

supergeekgirl

That website is a joke. I just wanted to point that out so that people don't start thinking that the church really feels that way about Spongebob.

That website is a joke. I just wanted to point that out so that people don't start thinking that the church really feels that way about Spongebob.

Are you sure? They seemed pretty convinced... :?

and...OOOH, from one of my favorite animes Ouran Host club *you can watch all the episodes on Youtube* Haruhi , though its not certain if she is Asexual or not, though she is completely clueless about relationships and attraction.

OURAN! <3

I'm pretty convinced Haruhi's asexual. She's just awesome :lol: Asexual, androgynous, and awesome 8)

But, yeah. Especially at the very beginning, the first episode, when Tamaki was flirting with her, when he thought she was a gay man...

and...OOOH, from one of my favorite animes Ouran Host club *you can watch all the episodes on Youtube* Haruhi , though its not certain if she is Asexual or not, though she is completely clueless about relationships and attraction.

OURAN! <3

I'm pretty convinced Haruhi's asexual. She's just awesome :lol: Asexual, androgynous, and awesome 8)

But, yeah. Especially at the very beginning, the first episode, when Tamaki was flirting with her, when he thought she was a gay man...

Ouran fan! :D *hugs* Yes, I'm pretty sure she is too. She kicks butt, love it when all the guys want her to be more femimen and she would just walk away or stare at them. XD Really odd(?) that her dad is a Bi crossdresser and shes an asexual and doesn't care if she is posing and dressing as a guy. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

One character that is openly asexual is Ruth, a dragon in Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. (These are dragons with telepathic abilities and vaguely human cognitive abilities.) The best part is that Ruth is quite happy the way he is. (There is a scene somewhere between him and his rider about whether Ruth is upset by his lack of attraction to female dragons.)

Don't forget Kerewin Holmes, the main character in Keri Hulme's "The Bone People."

-GB

• 5 weeks later...

This is somewhat stupid, but in Anne McCaffrey's book The White Dragon, I think the dragon, Ruth, is asexual. They call him a "sport," but. . .

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite asexual character has to be Dexter. The guy deliberately finds himself a girlfriend (to keep up appearances) with a history of abuse who's afraid of physical contact. I always laugh so hard when she tries to kiss him or come on to him on rare occasions and he's like 'ohh crap!!' I mean okay, so the guy seems devoid of most human emotions and is a bit of a serial killer, but some aspects of him I can certainly appreciate! :wink:

I think that there are several characters in the Lord of the Rings who might have been asexual. I think Frodo and Bilbo were both asexual, though that might have just been an effect of the Ring. I think that Gandalf was definatly asexual, and I think Boromir might have been asexual too since he never married and was always way more into learning to fight and do such things as that then he was in girls. (BTW, I don't really think that homosexuality existed in Tolkein's world...) And then there are some characters that we have no idea what their love lives were like, like Legolas or Gimli. Hmm. Maybe that's one reason I love those books so much. :D

I think that there are several characters in the Lord of the Rings who might have been asexual. I think Frodo and Bilbo were both asexual, though that might have just been an effect of the Ring. I think that Gandalf was definatly asexual, and I think Boromir might have been asexual too since he never married and was always way more into learning to fight and do such things as that then he was in girls. (BTW, I don't really think that homosexuality existed in Tolkein's world...) And then there are some characters that we have no idea what their love lives were like, like Legolas or Gimli. Hmm. Maybe that's one reason I love those books so much. :D

Frodo and Bilbo, maybe. Gandalf, probably. But I don't really see Boromir as being particularly asexual. After all, he dies young(ish), so we'll never know if he would've married someone, and as for the interest in fighting and such... well, that goes for a lot of Tolkien characters. It's a war-torn world, after all!

It's sad, in all my love for Joss Whedon's works, I really can't think of a single character in "Buffy", "Angel" or "Firefly" who could be considered asexual... maybe Andrew... Lorne also, though he wasn't human.

Doctor Who is pretty asexual too, I think.

Yeah... but I've only seen the "revival"ness... >_< (Ninth and Tenth Doctors).

I love how everyone thinks that Rose and the Doctor are a couple :D Although I do love the relationship between Tennant and Rose ^__^

I love how everyone thinks that Rose and the Doctor are a couple :D Although I do love the relationship between Tennant and Rose ^__^

I've really only seen the Tenth, and one episode from the Nineth.

And I can see why some people think that...they love eachother, you can tell that, but without the sex. David Tennant himself calls it a "love story without the shagging."

The Doctor's always been asexual, though, from what I can tell. Apparently, a lot of the fans were upset when one of them (7th or 8th or something) kissed one of his companions. :lol: And it would make sense for him to be asexual, though, if you think about it...he's an alien. Why on earth would he want to have sex with any of the earth girls?

Sorry, I just discovered Doctor Who a couple of days ago. It's been a fun couple of days. :D

And I can see why some people think that...they love eachother, you can tell that, but without the sex. David Tennant himself calls it a "love story without the shagging."

The Doctor's always been asexual, though, from what I can tell. Apparently, a lot of the fans were upset when one of them (7th or 8th or something) kissed one of his companions. :lol: And it would make sense for him to be asexual, though, if you think about it...he's an alien. Why on earth would he want to have sex with any of the earth girls?

Sorry, I just discovered Doctor Who a couple of days ago. It's been a fun couple of days. :D

:D :D Yay! I can imagine :)

Go back and watch the Ninth Doctor... as much as Tennant is SO UNBELIEVABLY better than Eccleston, it has some good episodes :D Like... go watch "Dalek," which made me cry (which is strange :shock: ) and "Father's Day," which is just plain good :wink:

:D :D Yay! I can imagine :)

Go back and watch the Ninth Doctor... as much as Tennant is SO UNBELIEVABLY better than Eccleston, it has some good episodes :D Like... go watch "Dalek," which made me cry (which is strange :shock: ) and "Father's Day," which is just plain good :wink:

Yep, I plan on going and watching some from the nineth, and some old school stuff from the fourth since he was the most popular and well known. I've been watching them on youtube, so I'm limited by whatever's on there... I know this is going to sound completely and utterly shallow coming from an asexual, but I want to watch more of the Tenth just because I think Tennant is amazingly pretty. :oops: I will watch some of the others, though. :D

• 2 weeks later...

There seem to be very few asexual characters in films, that I can think of.

I was at the cinema the other night to see 'The Last King of Scotland' with friends (incidentally did the guy who played Amin get the Oscar? he was very good!). Even before the opening credits had finished James McAvoy's character had slept with a random African woman who never appeared in the film again! Alright so it was meant to show how he was this naive adventurer type person but it definitely made me feel conscious of being...different.

• 3 weeks later...
ChildOfTheLight

Frodo and Bilbo, maybe. Gandalf, probably. But I don't really see Boromir as being particularly asexual. After all, he dies young(ish), so we'll never know if he would've married someone, and as for the interest in fighting and such... well, that goes for a lot of Tolkien characters. It's a war-torn world, after all!

Gandalf certainly was. He was a Maia (roughly the equivalent of an angel in Tolkien's universe), not a human. (Admittedly, some Maiar had spouses, and one, Melian, even married an Elf and bore a child who married a human -- this actually drives a great deal of Tolkien's history. Read The Silmarillion if this sounds interesting to you -- it tells this story and many others.)

Sex just isn't a focal point of Tolkien's stories, which is just fine. At the time I read The Lord of the Rings, I was tired of reading books which, it seemed to me, shoehorned sex scenes in when they did nothing to advance the story. The absence of that was refreshing to me.

Now I know why, I suppose.

Violet_Loves_Iliona
It's sad, in all my love for Joss Whedon's works, I really can't think of a single character in "Buffy", "Angel" or "Firefly" who could be considered asexual... maybe Andrew... Lorne also, though he wasn't human.

Warren, maybe? Or maybe Glory? I think Buffy herself went through some stages/phases of asexuality, though she went back to being sexual again, that's for sure.

I loved Glory!!

Warren, maybe? Or maybe Glory? I think Buffy herself went through some stages/phases of asexuality, though she went back to being sexual again, that's for sure.

I loved Glory!!

Warren who made his dream robot girlfriend? Wasn't the robot partially made for sex? If it wasn't, then yeah, maybe it could be argued that he might have been asexual... though he surely wouldn't be a very good representative!

Glory was a god, so again there's the whole "not human" thing.

I really don't think Buffy was ever really asexual. She has plenty of sex in that series, and it's pretty clear that she enjoys it, even after all the unfortunate experiences with her men becoming jerks and/or evil afterward.

Hey, what about Oz? Does he really ever show anything other than romantic attraction to Willow? He never tries to push their relationship to being more physical, and in fact often declines her advances (such as when she firsts asks to make out with him, and when she offers to have sex with him). In fact, let's look at the evidence ;) :

Devon: You're too picky, man. Do you know how many girls you could have? You're lead guitar, Oz. It's currency!

Oz: I'm not picky. You're just impressed by any pretty girl that can walk and talk.

Devon: She doesn't have to talk.

Willow: We have a lot of fun, but I want smoochies!

Buffy: Have you dropped any hints?

Willow: I've dropped anvils.

And here's the big one:

Willow: Hi. Why don't you come s-sit down?

Oz: You ever have that dream where you're in a play, and it's the middle of the play and you really don't know your lines, and you kinda don't know the plot?

Willow: Well, we're alone, and we're together. I-I just wanted it to be special.

Oz: How special are we talking?

Willow: Well, you know, we're alone, and we're both mature younger people, and-and so, w-we could... I-I'm ready to... w-with you. [whispers] We could do that thing. [Oz stands] Where are you going?

Oz: No, I'm not going. Just a dramatic gesture. That's-that's pretty special.

Willow: (stands also) Oz, I-I wanna be with you. First.

Oz: I think we should sit down again.

Willow: Oz? I-I'm ready.

Oz: Okay. Well, don't take this the wrong way... but I'm not.

Willow: I think we could be dead in two days and you're being ironic, detachment guy.

Oz: Would it help you if I panic?

Willow: Yes! It'd be swell. Panic is a thing people can share in times of crisis. And everything's really scary now, you know? And I don't know what's going to happen. A-a-and there's all sorts of things that you're supposed to get to do after high school, and I was really looking forward to doing them, and now we're probably just going to die, and I'd like to feel that maybe you would-

[Oz kisses her.]

Willow: What are you doing?

Oz: Panicking.

Yeah, Oz is just sort of my favourite character in the series... which also makes me wonder. ;)

Hallucigenia

Warren's robot was definitely for sex. And later, he tried to make a sex slave out of his actual ex-girlfriend, so yeah, no asexy stamp for Warren. :P

Never thought about Oz that way. Some of those things you quoted are things that an asexual might say, but didn't he also have sex with that werewolf girl later in the show?

Archived