Prayer and Covid-19

Tabula Rasa

It can give you a sense of control and increase your emotional well-being. But I'm afraid it wouldn't just fend off the virus in case someone was close to someone already infected. Of course, this doesn't mean that being infected would be obligatory when meeting someone (tested) positive.

Nope 

Not as such. It's an illness, so being very pragmatic : only time and / or meds are effective against it.
But if it makes you feel better, you should do it. Feeling less anxious will help you to sleep and lowering your stress level is always good for your general health. Exercise would work exactly the same way. Some people might also feel better taking homeopathy / some herbal teas...  you can also do all of the above! It's just a matter of belief and personal preference. But if you do get covid, medecine will always be your best answer (assisted by whatever you feel like to help you get through it :) )

Agree with others ... can't get rid of the pandemic because that's nature, but I believe it can help us adapt and feel peace in spite of the pandemic. 

Of course! What exactly is done is not for us to know however. After all, mere hoomans can't fix the world, so no need to give them more opportunities to cause problems.

Woo-ha, it's hot in here, gotta run.

No, I don't

7 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Do you believe prayer or meditation or anything similar is effective on Covid-19?

Some churches in the US thought as such. I am sure one of those priests has passed away. 

andreas1033

My advice is, if you believe in what ever fine, but also if you do not believe its fine too.

What ever the truth is, there can only be one answer to this question, and people for me, have no right to tell others what they should or shouldn't think on this question.

Everything on spiritual things, i personally think should upto the individual, and people have no right to dictate what anyone should do on such matters.

Spiritual knowledge should not be taught against a persons freewill. I believe that people do not have a right to tell other people things on spiritual matters. Freewill is so important on those matters, and for me, what ever you know, if your business, and what you think on it is your business.

SorryNotSorry

Prayer's purpose is to give someone peace of mind. But it doesn't even rate as something scientific, and it does not have anti-viral capabilities.

Nevertheless, it's not hard to find people who really believe prayer is 100% effective.

nanogretchen4

The rate at which Covid-19 spreads is strongly tied to the actions of human communities. So, if a megachurch holds an in person rally where they pray that God will miraculously save them as a reward for performative displays of irrational faith, the virus will get a big boost. If a large synagogue holds online services in which members remind each other that the commandment to preserve life outweighs nearly all other considerations and members pray for the fortitude to persist in social distancing, that might slow the spread.

• 1 month later...

No. Prayer doesn't work and while meditation may help cope with a certain level of stress, it won't cure or prevent the actual disease.

On 6/22/2020 at 1:20 PM, Autumn Twilight said:

Woo-ha, it's hot in here, gotta run.

Watch out before you get heatstroke. ☂️

On 6/24/2020 at 3:54 PM, nanogretchen4 said:

The rate at which Covid-19 spreads is strongly tied to the actions of human communities. So, if a megachurch holds an in person rally where they pray that God will miraculously save them as a reward for performative displays of irrational faith, the virus will get a big boost. If a large synagogue holds online services in which members remind each other that the commandment to preserve life outweighs nearly all other considerations and members pray for the fortitude to persist in social distancing, that might slow the spread.

A local pastor i work worth has been that (online) and having "in car" sermons where he stands on a stage while everyone sits in their cars and listen to him on the radio. It's kinda like what drive-in movie theaters do.

nanogretchen4

That's also a good option for some. I do have the option of in car services about once a month, but I'd have to drive a long way and the weather is pretty hot to sit in a car that long. Also, there's not a great solution if anyone needs to use the restroom.

Overall, I think religious institutions that find safe ways to maintain their activities are having a positive impact. They support their members' mental health. They are also modelling and probably preaching the value of human life and the need to care for others.

On August 1, 2020 at 11:54 PM, uniQChick said:

Watch out before you get heatstroke. ☂️

I'm on it. Earlier this week I trash-picked an item that will make a far better stand for my air conditioner with minimal modifications. Also, I almost always stay clear of this forum.

If someone wants to spend their time praying I'm not going to shame them, it's their belief or their placebo.

Personally praying in general is something I have tried but I cannot do anymore so, no it's just not for me.

13 hours ago, GingerRose said:

Personally praying in general is something I have tried but I cannot do anymore so, no it's just not for me.

Is having ADHD affected your prayer time with God? Have you found difficulty to concentrate?

Love ADHD brain! :wub:

24 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

Is having ADHD affected your prayer time with God? Have you found difficulty to concentrate?

Love ADHD brain! :wub:

I don't think it's the ADHD this time :)  God and I have a mutual understanding that It's okay for Him to have His followers, but I'm just not one of them.

Just now, GingerRose said:

I don't think it's the ADHD this time :)

I want to know your experience in the past, if you don't mind of course...

16 minutes ago, uniQChick said:

I want to know your experience in the past, if you don't mind of course...

Sure!

We can talk on messenger. I'll message you.

Archived