Protagonist in SF story voluntarily turns asex

Marr

And even gets kinda evangelical about it, although he does activate an unaltered backup copy of himself for the sake of his partner. Still, it's a positive portrayal of the change, and if the story has a central heroic character at all, it's this guy.

I was going to link this a while back, but the site was down for months. Anyways, it's called Autonomy. https://expressivefreedom.org/node.php?id=187 You may have seen it mentioned on /.

NB: The site's certification is broken, but I haven't run into anything suspicious.

"Protagonist in SF story voluntarily turns asex"

Heh, sounds like Tarma in the series "Oathbound", "Oathbreakers", and "Oathblood" by Mercedes Lackey.

Scanning cultural exchange network for "Mercedes Lackey".. Wow, that's a lot of audio clips. Is some of this from a music artist of the same name? Any recommended scenes? Would you advise buying originals sight-unseen?

(Shadow Stalker, Windrider Unchained, The Mage Wars, Vows and Honor.. Collaborative works with Heather Alexander and Leslie Fish.. Overload!)

I don't know if there is a music artist with the same name, I've never heard of one, but there are a lot of music artists I've never heard of.

She writes a lot of books, I've only read about... 15 of them or so, I think. Considering how many there are, that's not as much as it sounds (plus I like reading, particularly Sci Fi and Fantasy). As far as I can remeber the "Oathbound" series is the only one by her with an asexual character (though I could be wrong). Actually, she took the main characters for "Oathbound" from short stories that she wrote for "Sword and Sorceress".

I hesitate to advise spending money on anything. That is completely up to you. It's hard to tell what other people will like, she is a popular author though, so I guess a lot of people do like her.

Okay: Misty writes a lot of books with Bards as central characters, (Oathbound among them, yes?) and so writes bardic lyrics, and these are available on CD recorded by Cecilia Eng, Leslie Fish [Young/sworn Tarma], Heather Alexander

[Kethry] and Larry Warner. [Tarma's guide]

Interesting. Doesn't really work as recorded music by my tastes, but would be fantastic as a live pub show, and great prop background music for role-play.

I'll probably buy the audio books, though. I need stories to keep me sane at work, and I'm running out of Neil Gaiman. On which note, the Autonomy story is an open source (Free culture) project, so an audio version of that seems a likely development.

Hey.. Are any of you guys voice actors? Or diction trainers, or linguists? Prime will need to sound different somehow after he deletes his sexual drives, and it would be right to do that in a way that was subtle and accurate rather than robotised charicature.

• 4 weeks later...

Ah, I might not have made that clear. He'd have to sound different without his sexuality because the sexual version is still wandering around loose, and in an audio performance, it's difficult to have them dress differently for easy distinction. Also, I suspect that one's voice would change over time after adjusting such a complex and many-tentacled part of a brain's structure, and one which would alter the perception of almost all social situations.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but that is impossible. You either are, or you aren't. This guy will be supressing something if he's really straight, and that won't be healthy.

Ah well, stupid people suck.

Archived