Tv Shows you would not watch as an Asexual

andreas1033

SunlitMoonlight

The Great(on hulu) so many sickeningly vulgar sex jokes. I like a dirty joke once in a while but like 20+ minutes of R rated sexual vulgarity? Not my slice of cake. Idk about y'all, though.

Yeah, you'd probably have to pay me a decent sum to watch anymore of that show. It was revolting. 🤮 

I'm not exactly ace, but even when I did identify as such it was never a reason to why I wouldn't watch something. I'm totally fine with seeing sex and romance in TV. I watched Sex and the City from a young age with my older sisters, along with other highly sexual movies/TV. I just really don't like shows that show them in an incredibly unhealthy way. Like Pretty Little Liars and Riverdale both portray teacher/student relationships like that is acceptable somehow. Also horrible reality TV. Most of that is utter garbage. Like the newer Netflix one, Too Hot to Handle, just the preview alone disturbed me. 

I have to say though I did enjoy the Netflix reality show Love on the Spectrum. I thought it was a nice change. 

I try to avoid all shows with graphic sex scenes so not GoT, The Witcher, Sex Ed., etc 

I find depictions of sex in most TV and movies unnecessary, but they don't tend to put me off if the show is otherwise good. 

What I can't abide is the levels of sadism and torture that seem to be increasingly common in thrillers, crime and action genres just in an attempt to be edgier. 

I don't even watch TV shows and haven't in a really long time. Back home I used to just watch Good Day NY and the Japanese news. Where I currently live, I don't watch any TV

The Bachelor, Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire, and Temptation Island.  Those shows were stupid anyway.

Purple Red Panda

I don't think there is anything I'd avoid because of my sexuality but like others there is stuff I choose not to watch because it looks absolute bobbins.

7 hours ago, Purple Red Panda said:

bobbins.

I had to look that one up, and I'm still confused. Brits are funny.

Me three! 😋😋

Possibly being asexual is why I don't watch those pseudo-titillating sexy confessional shows, or it could just be because they're less interesting than watching paint dry 

I was really excited a couple years ago when The Shanara Chronicles came out because it was based on one of my favorite book series, but there was this weird unnecessary sexual tension in the first couple episodes that made it impossible for me to watch, so I gave up. Should've figured that the fantasy genre is just...like that now probably due to the popularity of Game of Thrones.

Twisted Tempest

So I would like to start by saying I'm very very sex repulsed. A while back a friend told me I should watch Game of Thrones (they knew I don't handle that kind of stuff very well) and I didn't really know much about it at the time. So I watched one episode. And then realised what a mistake that was. 

I will say, though the books aren't as explicit with the sexual content, a lot of it is skirted around in a much more mild manner. And the story is undeniably intriguing, so if you're interested, I recommend the books. The TV show, not so much. Unless you can handle explicit sex scenes. Then go right ahead. But if you're like me, avoid the show like the plague. 

TheVelociraptorNextDoor

I could not get into Game of Thrones.  I was skipping way too many scenes, since they were openly sexual, or there was explicit nudity. 

I'm not disgusted by sex scenes, but find them mostly pointless and usually just roll my eyes at them. 

I watched this Spanish show called Élite on Netflix earlier this year and would have really enjoyed it if it weren't for those obnoxious and unrealistic sex scenes that barely contributed anything to the plot. There was at least one of them in every episode. Not to mention the characters are all supposed to be teenagers..

Same thing with Riverdale.

How would you know if you don't like a show because of specific content (like sex) or because the show is simply bad. I don't like GOT and I've always maintained that it is because I like my fantasy way more fantastic and less real. But could it be asexuality secretly at work? I don't know and I don't know how I could ever find out. 

everywhere and nowhere

And what's running on TV these days? ;) Honestly, I have no idea anymore. I stopped watching TV over ten years ago.

But I absolutely understand being unwilling to watch stuff such as "Sex and the City". I too would probably feel that I can't relate in any possible way to that. And yes, the meaning of all texts of culture is to show you a glimpse of a life which isn't yours, but I really don't think that series such as "Sex and the City" show anything meaningful. This is just propaganda of sex as the absolutely greatest pleasure which everyone has to enjoy...

8 hours ago, RebelScum said:

How would you know if you don't like a show because of specific content (like sex) or because the show is simply bad. I don't like GOT and I've always maintained that it is because I like my fantasy way more fantastic and less real. But could it be asexuality secretly at work? I don't know and I don't know how I could ever find out. 

I do know allo people who didn't like the nudity and sex scenes in GoT, so that part is not always due to asexuality.  As for the show itself, I never had any real interest in it because it just didn't appeal to me in general.  Meanwhile, I liked the Witcher despite being annoyed at all the nudity and sex scenes.

I absolutely cannot watch any show, or really consume any type of media in general, that actively portrays

Spoiler

sexual violence

Spoiler

rape

, or

Spoiler

miscarriage/abortion

scenes. This pretty much omits any newer "edgy" show from NetFlix, HBO, etc. The Boys, Outlander, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, all of these and many, many more are off the table for me because if I accidentally see one of these scenes before I have time to catch it and skip ahead or back out, it will bother me for days and I'll have such a hard time shaking it for even weeks or months after. I've even fainted a few times before when I was younger and didn't know that this was a very bad trigger for me. Coming to on your kitchen floor while your roommate's on the phone with 911 is a fun time, let me tell you. /sarcasm

It's also a not-so-fun discussion I have to have with any friends/acquaintances when I'm trying to socially watch a show with other people. Like, "Hey, if XYZ thing starts happening on screen, I'm going to have to leave the room because there's a solid chance I'll actually pass out." It just sucks so much that modern media doesn't have a more expansive content warning/rating system. I don't think it's wild or outlandish to have

Spoiler

rape

in a category of its own on the content warning screen. Who's manager do I have to speak with about this?

Archived