Tv Shows you would not watch as an Asexual

andreas1033

andreas1033

For me, i would never watch as an asexual

Baywatch (1989-2001)

What's yours?

I have always hated, how people assumed that all males would watch that show in the 90's. Its amazing, how everyone assumed that all males around the world, must be watching that show, when it was on tv.

You people today must have shows, that your friends would love, and you just never would watch as an asexual.

Sex in the City... not sure if it had anythign to do with sex or not (assumed it did), but never appealed to me.

I will admit, I liked Baywatch lol, even though real lifeguards were no where near that into fighting crime (atleast where I lived).

Big Mouth

The Bachelor/whatever the spinoffs are

Nip/Tuck

I never saw Baywatch as too sexual, but I watched it when I was a little kid and I'm aroace, so I must have been oblivious. I'm sure if I were to watch it again it would be cringey.
I refuse to watch Riverdale because of how they straightwashed Jughead. 

I haven't seen GOT but I probably wouldn't enjoy it from what I've heard.

everywhere and nowhere

I haven't watched TV for more than ten years, I would be much better with "Books you should not read as an asexual". ;)

2 hours ago, Kelwyne said:

Sex in the City... not sure if it had anythign to do with sex or not (assumed it did), but never appealed to me.

By the way, does anyone else find the cocktail name "Sex on the beach" disgusting? I don't drink anything which contains alcohol anyway, but have seen it many times, I may have even drunk some non-alcoholic version, or eaten a this-cocktail-flavoured ice cream or something... Fortunately, in many cases owners "bowdlerise" it to "Sun on the beach". Some people may say it's prudish, but I really prefer prudery to having sex and the assumption of its Absolutest Wonderfulness* shoved in everyone's face...

*"Absolutest" is not a correct word, "wonderfulness" probably neither... but it's a phrase which even should be incorrect, it helps express ennoyance better. I take care to speak correct language, but I'm also all for "deliberate linguistic mistakes as a legitimate artistic trope".

SamewhereSameplace

Sometimes adult oriented media seems like it tries too hard to prove itself. Like it has to go there to reassure the audience that it is edgy or sexy, and that by doing this, only then can it's audience get a pass to admit to watching it when talking with their work friends because both you and the show are both totally certified Adult (TM).

Unless something is highly recommended by a good friend, I generally just pass on most shows I should be the target demographic of. Instead, I mostly just stick to teen and younger aimed media. It's just easier to go in knowing what the limits will be. I want my anxiety to come from the stakes of an amazing story, not some rebound from my own head focusing on what the plot has already moved on from and forgotten. Anything graphic or violent, any explicit sex, abuse, gore, bigoted language, anything that leaves me thinking about that and not the story that happened around it, I don't want to deal with.

WrenIsNotMyRealName!!

Uh, TruBlood is a show I wouldn't have watched but I hadn't realized I was ace back when I saw it the first time. But that show is FILLED with sex scenes but I just ignored them because I'm pretty numb to sex now. Game of Thrones has a lot of sex too but I ignore it too. It has an ace character btw. Which is some sweet representation, I'd say.

True Blood I watched the first season and loved it... then I saw the second season and hated it. GoT, i loved the epicness of it. COuld of done without teh violence, gore, and sex. But I did appreciate the story.

WrenIsNotMyRealName!!
21 minutes ago, Kelwyne said:

True Blood I watched the first season and loved it... then I saw the second season and hated it. GoT, i loved the epicness of it. COuld of done without teh violence, gore, and sex. But I did appreciate the story.

Yeah, after trying to rewatch TruBlood, I realize it sucks.

TV shows I won't watch because of my sexual orientation = zero 

TV shows I won't watch because either I've seen part of one episode and didn't like it, I'm not into the genre, or the trailers put me off in the first place = plenty

21 hours ago, Firefly8 said:

I refuse to watch Riverdale because of how they straightwashed Jughead. 

Omg same! Also from what I've heard it just sounds like a crappy show. but yeah when it first came out and I heard Jughead wasn't going to be aro ace I didn't even attempt to watch it.

budgieghost
On 6/19/2020 at 9:25 PM, SamewhereSameplace said:

Sometimes adult oriented media seems like it tries too hard to prove itself. Like it has to go there to reassure the audience that it is edgy or sexy, and that by doing this, only then can it's audience get a pass to admit to watching it when talking with their work friends because both you and the show are both totally certified Adult (TM).

Unless something is highly recommended by a good friend, I generally just pass on most shows I should be the target demographic of. Instead, I mostly just stick to teen and younger aimed media. It's just easier to go in knowing what the limits will be. I want my anxiety to come from the stakes of an amazing story, not some rebound from my own head focusing on what the plot has already moved on from and forgotten. Anything graphic or violent, any explicit sex, abuse, gore, bigoted language, anything that leaves me thinking about that and not the story that happened around it, I don't want to deal with.

Same. I like a dark story sometimes, but I default to children's media and animation. It usually seems more creative and story-driven, whereas I tend to see TV for adults as pretentious and lazy in its use of sex and violence.

I tried to get into Game of Thrones because of the fantasy and liked some of the subplots, but could barely finish season 1. And the book was similar - great story ruined by forced edginess and the need to make readers feel "adult." 🙄 I wonder if I wasn't Ace whether I could have powered through.

Janus the Fox

I rarely watch TV anyway, I’d just follow what interests me on YouTube.  A sort of Create-Your-Own TV entertainment.  There’s nothing I’d not watch due to Asexuality though.

• 1 month later...
TheNostalgicAce

I loved the Netflix show Sex Eduction, that even has a brief Asexual character! However, it was certainly difficult for me to watch at times. Somewhat graphic masturbating and sex scenes...next thing you know I'm on the floor cringing 😂

TheNostalgicAce

Oh I thought of one that I STRUGGLED to watch. HBO's GIRLS. I could barely get through episodes lol. 

DarkStormyKnight

Ah I did try to get into Brooklyn Nine-Nine, made it until the end of the second season (I think) when one of the characters used asexual as an insult. Have had no desire to pick it up since then.

16 hours ago, TheNostalgicArtist said:

I loved the Netflix show Sex Eduction, that even has a brief Asexual character! However, it was certainly difficult for me to watch at times. Somewhat graphic masturbating and sex scenes...next thing you know I'm on the floor cringing

I watched the episode where the asexual character is seen only and I passed everything else lmao. Lot of people love this show but I don't think it'll interest me very much 

Pretty much anything, which is why I don't watch TV. Even the news is awash in sex.

On 6/19/2020 at 8:25 PM, SamewhereSameplace said:

Bravo! I couldn't have said it better myself! 

I either watch YouTube documentaries, old movies or cartoons because I know I won't have to run into that garbage. I wonder if show makers understand that you don't always need a constant barrage of violence and sex to make a story "adult." 

There's been many shows I couldn't get into as a queer person.

Also Lucifer. I've been told it's a very good show and I don't deny it. I tried watching it and Lucifer is a cool character but the cliché romance and the overly sexual character isn't for me 

Bronztrooper

Witcher.  I went in knowing what it was probably going to be like based on my experience playing the 3rd game and was still annoyed by all the nudity and sex scenes.

12 hours ago, Bronztrooper said:

Witcher.  I went in knowing what it was probably going to be like based on my experience playing the 3rd game and was still annoyed by all the nudity and sex scenes.

Definitely why I'll never watch it. Yennifer is introduced to Geralt during a goddamn orgy scene for chrissakes! 😧 And apparently the writers always find a way to have her topless. No thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

I love Castlevania on Netflix, except for that one episode... You know the one.  I can’t ever watch that episode again.

• adriana •

literally any show where romance is the main or underlying plot. 

i watch a lot of cartoons, and so the idea of romance isn't the main interest, but i don't mind if it pops up because i know it won't go past kissing because it's a primarily kids shows. the same cannot be said for live action shows where things can, and usually will, go farther than a peck on the lips.

so most shows directed toward my age group, that is teens and young adults, i don't watch. most netflix original shows i.e. riverdale (which i hear they also blatantly ignored one characters asexuality smh) and the likes.

cartoons for the win

Normal People. I was really excited to watch it because it was set at my university and there was so much hype around it, but I couldn't even finish it. The acting was great and everything, but when you have to fast forward through almost half an episode to avoid the very graphic sex scenes, it doesn't really seem worth it.

Purple Wanderer

Theres nothing I wouldnt watch because of asexuality. There is Alot I wont watch because they're crap tho!

Archived