BIPOC-inclusive Ace Flag?

hannahm13

The rainbow flag gained black and brown stripes. I've seen some iterations of the trans flag with black and brown stripes. I'm wondering if we can add a brown stripe to ours in a way that incorporates the black stripes as a show of support for BIPOC as well? I'm not very visual art-inclined, but I'm sure there are plenty of artists in the ace community, and with the support of AVEN, the BIPOC ace flag could become a real thing. 

Personally, I don't understand why sexuality flags should include colors specifically for skin colors.

The rainbow flag was one thing because it at least had all the colors, but how would you make sure you have every color for the other flags? The ace flag has black and white, but now you want to throw in brown? What about red and yellow? Are those too offensive to add? If so, how do you account for non-black or brown people of color? If not, how do you prevent all sexuality flags from just being the rainbow flag?

Captain_Tass

@hannahm13 Creating a BIPOC-inclusive ace flag is a really cool idea! Maybe it could be similar to the QTPOC flags

Spoiler

mgid:ao:image:logotv.com:653414?quality=

(This design would work best for a demisexual flag)

qtpocflaghalf.png

(This design would work best for an ace flag, seeing as all the colours would still be visible)

The reason that there are versions of the Pride flag that include the black and brown stripes is that some people feel that the queer community has been too focused on white LGBT+ folks.  So, the alternate flag design is a deliberate gesture of inclusion.

DarkStormyKnight

I think it's an interesting idea for sure. I've read a number of articles where POC are insisting on being explicitly included in queer spaces, otherwise it is assumed to be a whites-only space. I do wonder if the best way to do this is by altering the flag though. While it can't hurt, there are probably more effective ways. Definitely would be interested in seeing what this change might possibly look like anyways though!

.-.

Not sure how you'd create a flag that doesn't looks like the rainbow's reject son threw up on it when it comes to mixing people of color and gay shit. Also just... why?

I'm more of the opinion of adding a symbol to the flag, rather than adding colors. I think the colors as they are represent something and that adding colors to stand for PoC makes it complicated, as well as the problematic thing I implied by not all PoC falling into the categories or brown or black. I get why you'd still want something to indicate that it's not purely white LGBT+ culture though, I just think adding colors is a bad way to do it. 

AspieAlly613

I'm against modifying a flag for a non-racial issue to include racial elements.  

My main concern is condoning/appearing to voice the opinion "All of life is about a struggle between the underprivileged who are always right and the overprivileged who are always wrong.  If that's not why you support the ace community, you support us for the wrong reasons."

10 minutes ago, AspieAlly613 said:

I'm against modifying a flag for a non-racial issue to include racial elements.  

My main concern is condoning/appearing to voice the opinion "All of life is about a struggle between the underprivileged who are always right and the overprivileged who are always wrong.  If that's not why you support the ace community, you support us for the wrong reasons."

I don't think that's what the BIPOC ace flag is about, "right" or "wrong." I think it's just meant to say, "I'm ace and POC/black, and proud of it." Plus, it'd help other POC aces find each other, if they had those as their avatar, profile pic, etc. They've mentioned it's difficult for them to find other POC aces in the ace community.

People have already modified the ace flag to include their other identities, like their romantic/aromantic orientation, adding the aromantic flag along with the ace one, etc. So, it's like that.

AspieAlly613
1 minute ago, LeChat said:

I don't think that's what the BIPOC ace flag is about, "right" or "wrong." I think it's just meant to say, "I'm ace and POC/black, and proud of it." Plus, it'd help other POC aces find each other, if they had those as their avatar, profile pic, etc.

People have already modified the ace flag to include their other identities, like their romantic/aromantic orientation, adding the aromantic flag along with the ace one, etc.

Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding.

death angel

wow there realy is a flag for everything

this is opinion

Archived