Accidentally came out??

Clover_lady

Clover_lady

So a while ago, I accidentally came out to my mom because she saw my log in for AVEN while we were looking for a different log in for school. I was completely out on the spot and had to explain it to her, but because it happened so quickly, I don’t really think it got across to her. She said some stereotypical things like “you’re too young to know that yet” and “we shouldn’t put labels on ourselves” and she got kind of confused about the difference between aromanticism and asexuality. 
That was a month ago and it had been weighing on my mind for a while. So I asked her if we could talk. I cleared up some things, but she stood by what she said before about my aha and how she doesn’t like labels. Her argument for me being too young was that I could change in the future, which I completely understand and agree with. Sexuality is fluid, and it could totally change in the future. But having a label for myself feels good, because I know who I am. 
Anyways, I have mixed feeling about all of this. She is understanding, in some ways, but I still feel like I’m not completely understood. And then she said something about how it’s different than if I told her I’m gay, and that made me nervous because I’m panromantic. I don’t really know what I wanted from writing this, but I feel like I needed to get it out somehow. 

I think you should ask her why it's different than being gay. Because unless she's hella "That's a sin!", it's not like you're any more likely to give her grandchildren (don't know your stance on that, I just assume asexuals are sex-averse (not repulsed) until I learn otherwise). 

Because yeah, to me it feels like she's halfway between denial and acceptance. More being dismissive than anything. It could've been worse though! 

Some parents blame themselves if a child identifies as anything other than cishet. Maybe she's taking time to get used to the idea, and clinging to the "hope" that this is "just a phase" 

Purple Wanderer

Feel at all relieved you dont need to hide it anymore?

Incognito/secret mode all the way! Dont wanna risk someone coming across this on my phone

The joys of being totally out is that I can be on forum sat in our social club, with parents, at work etc.

Archived