Has Cancel Culture Gone too Far?

30 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Sorry that you cant take critisism of the left. But okay

Sorry you're using weak arguments? "What about"ism sucks. It ignores the fault in oneself and only attacks the other. "Well Bernie is an anti-semite" ignores everything about the previous argument.

25 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Lemme tell you how my Babushka felt about the order. It made her feel SAFER because nationalities have greater protections. Some jews may not like it, but some do. It was a move to prevent anti semetic actions that where occuring within the government. My family fled the same countries to come here.

So some see it as an anti-semetic move, and others view is as in favor of Jews (is that pro-semetic? I doubt it). I don't think that delegitimizes anyones claim that they're anti-Semetic, just would have to be a matter of opinion. We'll see how it turns out in the long run, and I can only hope it turns out well like your family hopes. 

Still, I can see I'm just talking to a wall at this point. And I'm getting actually mad so I'm going to stop responding. Have fun. 

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

democratic party

Lol I hate the Dems. You think I believe they're progressive? 

As a comment about the swearing, it was because I was mad. I swear when I'm mad. Or emotional in general. And using the vulgar language actually doesn't do anything to my argument. Using bad arguments is different from using words some consider impolite. I'm sorry I don't sound mature enough to you. You sound like you're avoiding reality and viewing things through your lens. 

Can you just stop? This is the Cancel Culture thread. You know what saying "Biden is anti-semetic" doesn't persuade me of? Cancel culture. You changed it back to the same old bitching about politicians. You complain about ones I never said I support, point out that you don't support any either, and go on and on about random topics because I think you have a thing for starting drama on the internet. But I really need to learn to just stop. I even said I'd stop replying here. It's a drug, I tell you. Or boredom and loneliness. 

So I'm actually just forcing myself off AVEN.

Have a cat gif.

Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

andreas1033

There is nothing wrong with people wanting change.

But if you want that change, be sure, that what your wanting to change, is a real thing. Not just something, that is being used, for many peoples agendas, like making money. Its all fine and good wanting a world for the better. But if your protesting something, that you think is wrong, which actually is not really happening, then that change will not come, as the people will know its false.

For me, the police in america, have gone as far, as its humanly possible, to address problems within policing, to police, america, which is the 1st worlds most violent country.

People whom are asking for all sorts, are not looking at things from both sides, and ignoring just how much reform, american police have done already.

There is only so far police can go in america, before they cannot do there job anymore, or your forcing police to commit suicide. America has some very dangerous cities, and your asking police too much for me, to restrain themselves even more.

So for me, this is a case of too far, and many people protesting this, are just not looking at this from both sides, and just are following there emotional reactions. The media knows exactly how to push most peoples buttons, and how most people react with emotion to the news, and do not consider both sides.

Like i said if you want real change in the world, be sure what your asking for, is actually really going on, and not something, the media, or people with money want you to believe is happening. People with money can buy alot of influence, by using media, enormously to portray a false reality. For me, this is whats happening here, with the american police thing.

Americans need to accept police are going to make mistakes, its impossible not too, when your policing the 1st worlds most violent country.

Lots of people out there protesting, have not thought through what it is that they are asking for, on this. They are totally ignoring just how much police reform has happened in our lifes, and the police reform, can only go so far, before police cannot do there jobs anymore. People are just reacting to there emotional sides, and not thinking through what your asking for.

Personally, i do not blame police in america, if they do not want to go into work at this moment in time. As far as i am concerned, police in america have gone far enough. To ask them to go further, would be asking them to place themselves in greater danger.

3 hours ago, SithEmpress said:

Have a cat gif.

Mad The Internet GIF by MOODMAN - Find & Share on GIPHY

Thanks! That's one smart looking cat. I'm not being sarcastic, that cat is authentic.

3 minutes ago, Moonman said:

Did you start typing this and hit Submit before you had finished? :P

Haha. Think can be used as a noun, though. Haven't you read 1984? :P

37 minutes ago, Moonman said:

I got to maybe Page 15 and thought it was boring so I stopped reading haha, it didn't hook me.

It can be a tad dry and its age shows, but I consider it an essential read. It's as relevant now as when it was written.

34 minutes ago, Arodash said:

War is peace

Freedom is slavery

Ignorance is strength

https://owlcation.com/humanities/The-Meaning-of-War-is-Peace-Freedom-is-Slavery-and-Ignorance-is-Strength-in-Orwells-1984

The article doesn't really do justice to some concepts like doublethink, but it's a pretty good in-depth analysis.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8440383/Stepmom-Atlanta-cop-charged-Rayshard-Brooks-death-fired-job.html

This is scary, the mother is being targeted by her employer for speaking out against the Unjust treatment of her son by the Government? What kind of world are we living in where this is considered OK or reasonable to go after a mother and fire her like this.  This is really going to far. 

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
16 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Its horrible and its disgusting. 

But some say its not real. Some say it doesnt happen. The moral and thought police come for everyone even the mothers. In the DPRK and in the old Soviet Union, familial punishment was engaged in too. Sure its a private company doing it but it reflects the mindset of those in power

That is how North Korea operates. I find it ridiculous a group of people in America cannot see what is wrong with this constantly trying to cancel people for not following their ideological dogma. 

DarkStormyKnight

I did recently hear that similar to cancel culture apparently a lot of the kids watching Avatar for the first time since it came to Netflix all hate Zuko and how he got a redemption arc because they cancelled him after his initial mistakes. Which I find kinda funny because that seems ridiculous and Zuko's arc is the best part of the show.

2 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

I did recently hear that similar to cancel culture apparently a lot of the kids watching Avatar for the first time since it came to Netflix all hate Zuko and how he got a redemption arc because they cancelled him after his initial mistakes. Which I find kinda funny because that seems ridiculous and Zuko's arc is the best part of the show.

I take back what I said on page 1. This is cancel culture gone too far. :P

3 hours ago, DarkStormyKnight said:

Whu.. Thats what makes him such an interesting character...

Hot off the presses: Wizards of the Coast artist Terese Nielsen has been fired because of her political beliefs. Twitter threw a tantrum because on her personal twitter she liked Pro-Trump material and anti Antifa material. They likened her to a fascist because she "associated" with the right and even dug into her wife's Twitter for more dirt. Truely this is the "Era of Intolerance"

41 minutes ago, Arodash said:

I saw I saw. Guess im not buying magic cards for awhile

Remember "It's NOt CaNCEl CuLTUre" shes just clearly a nazi.

Calligraphette_Coe
On 6/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, SithEmpress said:

The only thing I really disagree on is how modern "cancel culture" is in any way different from the way things have always been but with a shift in the power. A shift I consider in the right direction, overall. 

In some ways, I think "cancel culture" is a little bit like guerilla warfare. Where you have a David fighting a Goliath in uncoventional ways, because that's the only way they can make a difference without getting annihilated or steam rolled over. And the people who were on the side with all the advantages resent it because "that's no the way this is supposed to be!" Oh, they'll pretend that they are giving the other side a fair shake, but when you're  left of center, do you really think you'll get a fair shake on a talk radio call-in show? Woe are they who think they'll be allowed to land any intellectual blows when the obviously biased host can kill the mic when they sense their sacred ox is about to get even a slight goring.

Calligraphette_Coe
2 hours ago, Arodash said:

Like what CNN does to conservative guests? Like when people have their entire lives ruined when people dig up 10 year old tweets? Or get them fired because they follow the "wrong" people on social media? No, the left RULES the lamestream media

I think if you check, you'd see that CNN has plenty of conservative commentators like Rick Santorum. Can the same be said of Fox News? Sheesh, Fox News even tried to copyright the phrase 'Fair and Balanced' and filed lawsuits to protect it. It reminds me of a quote from Margaret Thatcher:

Being powerful is like being a lady-- if you have to tell people you are, you aren't.

And 'lamestream' media? Seriously? How 'Fair and Balanced' is that? From which talk radio show did that come from?

11 minutes ago, Arodash said:

To tall about orange man bad. They dont allow people on who have wrong think. But if they do, they end up dog piling them or trying to get them gotcha questions Jim Acosta is PRIME example of fake news media

Yeah, but Spencer thinks orange man bad because he's not heiling Hitler. Regardless, a piece of shit like him should not be treated as some kind of expert on live TV.

But logically, if a Nazi thinks Trump is bad because he's not a Nazi, isn't that positive coverage for Trump? 🤨

Mostly Peaceful Ryan

CNN and NBC has actively blackmailed, and tried to cancel groups. They do it under the veil of Journalism. They will approach the companies advertising with something they don't like and wish to cancel it. They will threaten the company with bad press if they don't stop advertising.  Then they write an article about how people are stopping advertisement revenue. That is why people accuse them of being activist not journalist.  If anyone watched Nightcrawler it is pretty much that, where the journalist end up creating the story and not just reporting it.

4 hours ago, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

If anyone watched Nightcrawler it is pretty much that, where the journalist end up creating the story and not just reporting it.

Correct. Ever been in a news room during a "scoop"?

I have had that pleasure, and it's like watching vaultures finding a piece of meet. If their job is information, how is that possible?

Tabula Rasa

Cancel culture has gone too far.

I don't know if someone has already posted this, but people in San Francisco toppled a statue of Ulysses S. Grant. Grant fought the confederacy and signed the Civil Rights Act of 1871 into law to combat the KKK.

This is nothing short of a mob mentality.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
3 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Correct. Ever been in a news room during a "scoop"?

I have had that pleasure, and it's like watching vaultures finding a piece of meet. If their job is information, how is that possible?

I have been around journalist with a story. I have not been in a news room though.

Tabula Rasa

The character of Ulysses S. Grant according to Frederick Douglass: "a man too broad for prejudice, too humane to despise the humblest, too great to be small at any point."

I guess we should cancel Frederick Douglass, too. /s

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
2 minutes ago, Tabula Rasa said:

The character of Ulysses S. Grant according to Frederick Douglass: "a man too broad for prejudice, too humane to despise the humblest, too great to be small at any point."

I guess we should cancel Frederick Douglass, too. /s

Protesters be like:

giphy.gif

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
7 minutes ago, Arodash said:

Come to think of it they might also want to cancel Krusty the Clown. He's problematic he's a stereotype a clowns.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

I have been around journalist with a story. I have not been in a news room though.

Literally sounds like a bunch of people getting excited over rumor mill gossip. 

They deliberately are seeking "juicy". 

Information doesn't get you ratings. 

12 hours ago, Tabula Rasa said:

Cancel culture has gone too far.

I don't know if someone has already posted this, but people in San Francisco toppled a statue of Ulysses S. Grant. Grant fought the confederacy and signed the Civil Rights Act of 1871 into law to combat the KKK.

This is nothing short of a mob mentality.

Yeah that is just moronic. 

At this rate, you might as well destroy any visual cue of the slavery days. 

This includes all presidents that owned a slave. 

If you own a Porshe, shame on you. Porshe supplied Hitler with many vehicles. 

You drink Fanta? You racist you. 

The idea of canceling something because it offends you, is just ridiculous. 

Just Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben's are the peak of cancel culture. 

I can assure you very few picked up a box of parboiled rice and felt outraged. 

Where do we draw the line?

Chicago Blackhawks to rename, due to their offensive name?

Seeing as Britain and the USA both grew rich from slavery let's just ban them 😋😋

1 hour ago, Arodash said:

Aunt Jemima was based on an actual woman who was a frees slave who came up with an instant pancake recipe and was one of the first wealthy black women in America. 

Apparently showing a black man farming is racist, idk about you but when I lived down south I met plenty of black farmers, then again maybe it is a callback to those "share" cropping farms which were essentially a "legal" way to keep slaves

Lets change the name of yale

Lets ban VW 

Theres a whole gambit of things that are problematic now, but banning them is just well, hiding it. It doesnt solve the percieved issues created by it

I saw a video of UFC fighter Jon Jones complaining about black jeans in an Albaqurque store being labeled "Black/Negro" for those who speak Spanish. 

One poster pointed out the discrimination to those who are of Latin descent. 

So to eliminate a word, because you are offended by it and choosing to ignore its completely inoffensive context? 

People are taking the piss on this, in grasping the straws on what to be offended by.

Businesses with no balls, cower and make the changes VS educating the background of their selections, essentially admitting to the racist nature of their logos through such moves o_O

People with zero intestinal fortitude in times like this, make me sick. 

I should complain to Uncle Ben's and demand free rice due to being hurt as a black man. 

Archived