Has Cancel Culture Gone too Far?

"Cancel culture" is just a different angle of fascism.

4 minutes ago, Arodash said:

creepy though because its the side that claims are fighting facism who are using, facist techniques like unpersoning

But, y'know, they're the good ones so it doesn't count, right?

1 hour ago, Homer said:

But, y'know, they're the good ones so it doesn't count, right?

The "RiGhT SiDE oF HiSToRy" has no flaws. You'll learn more about that during your mandatory re-education classes.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
On 8/20/2020 at 11:07 AM, Marrow said:

The "RiGhT SiDE oF HiSToRy" has no flaws. You'll learn more about that during your mandatory re-education classes.

The idea of being on the "Right side of history" is general misunderstanding of history as well as human nature. Some of the most evil people throughout history viewed themselves as the hero. 

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
8 minutes ago, Arodash said:

If only we played the campaign without skipping the cut scenes we might be more philosophically enlightened.

Mostly Peaceful Ryan
Just now, Arodash said:

If only kids still read 1984 in highschool they wouldnt currently be trying to rationalize 2+2=5 or trying to unperson people. Which is what cancel culture is

I think they read it, but they took it as a guide instead of a warning.

Just now, Mostly Peaceful Ryan said:

I think they read it, but they took it as a guide instead of a warning.

It wasnt part of my schooling, I had to read it on my own, and animal farm. 

Ironically we also read Anderson Bergeron yet they took that one as a guide too. 

But totally more important than 1984 was Of Mice and Men and Huckleberry Finn.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Considering that the people who supported Cancel Culture (Jenna Marbles, Jimmy Fallon, J.K. Rowling, etc.) are now being cancelled themselves, I think there's a moral to be learned here: If you support censorship, then that censorship will eventually be used against you.

• 2 months later...
Alaska Native Manitou

"Cancel Culture"...does being banned from a certain website for 2 weeks because you made anti-racist posts & status updates count?

Doesn't every election count?  One wins, the other is cancelled.

https://fair.org/home/panic-over-cancel-culture-is-another-example-of-right-wing-projection/

Alaska Native Manitou

A question for those who want a time limit:  Are you ready to free Charles Manson?  It's been half a century already.

41 minutes ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

A question for those who want a time limit:  Are you ready to free Charles Manson?  It's been half a century already.

Charles Manson's dead.

I don’t know. I just think there is an obtuse level of entitlement behind someone being offended by something and demanding you to be to. 

Not only this, but due to this, that nobody else should be allowed to be subjected to what offended them. 

IE I remember seeing someone with a flag from their country in their store. Someone shopping there demanded them to take it down. 

They refused. Cue in cancel culture posts, trying to accuse this shop owner of condoning what attrocities their country was responsible for, vs simply displaying their pride for it. 

That level of entitlement makes me sick. I hate high entitlement to begin with, mind you.

I think it has. Don't get me wrong, I don't want certain people to have a platform to spew hate and misinformation. But to say "I'm canceling X" gives them that platform temporarily. It allows people to see "oh, X did blah, blah, blah" and look into that, potentially spawning more people who believe that stuff.

Furthermore, now those people go to other sites with likeminded people, where their ideas are supported, spread, and mutated. It also means that they hide in plain sight. It means that their mindsets become dangerous.

If someone says or does something you don't like, you don't have to keep interacting with them and their ideas. You don't even have to address them. However, cancel culture as it is now means that people don't learn from their mistakes. They simply go somewhere else and make it worse.

1 hour ago, Neon Green Packing Peanut said:

However, cancel culture as it is now means that people don't learn from their mistakes.

Its like ordering someone to side with your opinion or you will make them lose their career. 

If your threat was real, am sure they would side with you, but deep down you have just reinforced their stance tenfold.

People are shocked Trump got so many votes. I am surprised there was an over 5 million vote gap. 

You essentially saw people being shamed for their political beliefs. Like that ever changed anyone's beliefs.

19 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

Its like ordering someone to side with your opinion or you will make them lose their career. 

If your threat was real, am sure they would side with you, but deep down you have just reinforced their stance tenfold.

People are shocked Trump got so many votes. I am surprised there was an over 5 million vote gap. 

You essentially saw people being shamed for their political beliefs. Like that ever changed anyone's beliefs.

Personally, I don't think that anyone should be criticized for their political beliefs. At all. They should face no negative consequences. However, if someone started spouting racist crap, then I think it would be fine for them to get fired, because otherwise you are enabling that behavior and creating a potentially unsafe workspace for the other employees. However, you should also do so with discretion, making sure that the person understands why they were fired, and why those actions were not okay. That allows them to grow from them and hopefully become less of a crappy person. There needs to be a balance between current cancel culture and ignoring bad actions.

For example, this woman got sucked into Qanon, especially through staying in Facebook groups without other influence. What she did shouldn't be excused, glossed over, or forgotten, but it does have an explanation. She was lucky enough to have a support system for her recovery and people who educated her (along with a terrifying amount of death threats, etc - which should never happen in any circumstance) and was able to become a better person from it. I still don't agree with all her views, but those that she held at the time are ones that she understood, processed, and dismissed with those supports. Cancel culture as is would take that away, and cause more people to hold those problematic views.

Not to mention, it doesn't take into account complex circumstances. It takes things at face value and dismisses people's past that may have led them to that. Again, that doesn't mean that you have to interact with that person, just that the way cancel culture currently works creates many issues and solves next to none.

• 2 weeks later...
Alaska Native Manitou

“Just keep moving forward and don't give a shit about what anybody thinks. Do what you have to do, for you.”
― Johnny Depp

4obkoz.jpg

2 hours ago, 2SpiritCherokeePrincess said:

4obkoz.jpg

-If you read about Johnny Depp, you see there was nothing mocking about what he did. 

He was formally adopted by an aboriginal family and whether or not he has any native blood is irrelevant.

Their entire video project was done carefully working with and consulting with aboriginal communities.

They have likely provided more funding for such communities and opportunities than their governments.

People getting offended at what he did, is sad. 

-Two sides to every story. I think its suspect when things get leaked to tabloids and get secretly taped. You only get one side of the story. Seems rather underhanded to me. 

I would want to hear the full story, before canceling someone. 

Chris Brown is still making music, right?

People canceled him for idiotic reasons. Overly sensitive people who can't handle seeing a white actress play a role like Pocahontas.

If am a movie producer, I want the best talent. Period. 

Now I have to make sure all are okay with the race of the actress or actor that i picked, or risk getting canceled.

That's ridiculous. 

Same people to me would want to cancel male pro sports because they don't have enough people of the opposing gender in their ranks or people of opposing genders don't  make as much.

Lost in the logic, is that you make how much money that you do based on how many butts you can get in seats. Not your gender.

Women like Ronda Rousey even vocally argue against people railing against some pro sports for what they see as unfair. 

She gets fans, because she is insanely good at marketing herself. She understands the nature of showbusiness.

I don't even like Eau Sauvage, but cancel culture makes me want to buy 6 bottles of it and donate 500$ to an aboriginal cause. 

You know, vs canceling a person's career because am offended, which does absolutely nothing.

Yes. I've seen far too many people on social medias like tumblr and twitter harassed, doxxed, and threatened over things that weren't even true because someone just made stuff up using buzzwords that got people riled up to think anything else. People get furious at complete strangers online just because a person they liked said, with no proof, they did something.

I'm not talking about famous people, or politics, or anything of the sort. I'm talking about people online doxxing each other because one said something the other didn't like.

If you don't believe people would really do something so petty, sorry but I'm not trying to provide proof for you. I've seen it happen and that's good enough for me.

On 6/17/2020 at 3:47 PM, SithApprentice said:

I hate the term "cancel culture" so I'm going to disagree just on the basis that there is such a thing. Outrage and not wanting to hear from someone you hate is something that stretches back to humans creating language. 

But there are times when people are "cancelled" (which sometimes assumes you have the right to someone's audience) who do not deserve it. People shouldn't be fired just because of public outcry, there should be evidence behind it, even if it's witness accounts. 

I didn't think I'd ever fully agree with you but here I am. Very well said.

On 9/3/2020 at 8:05 AM, Your friend said:

Considering that the people who supported Cancel Culture (Jenna Marbles, Jimmy Fallon, J.K. Rowling, etc.) are now being cancelled themselves, I think there's a moral to be learned here: If you support censorship, then that censorship will eventually be used against you.

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Crystallux said:

Yes. I've seen far too many people on social medias like tumblr and twitter harassed, doxxed, and threatened over things that weren't even true because someone just made stuff up using buzzwords that got people riled up to think anything else. People get furious at complete strangers online just because a person they liked said, with no proof, they did something.

I'm not talking about famous people, or politics, or anything of the sort. I'm talking about people online doxxing each other because one said something the other didn't like.

If you don't believe people would really do something so petty, sorry but I'm not trying to provide proof for you. I've seen it happen and that's good enough for me.

In some countries, people get killed for this. At least in western society, you for the most part get idle threats. 

However, getting wrongfully doxxed? 

That happens all the time. I remember a celebrity doxxing the wrong person. 

Think they won't get a dozen death threats before the issues subsides? Damage is already done. 

The other day I saw a comedian make a joke that didn't go down well. 

It was a play on words from a Dolly Parton quote. 

She noted she had been busier than ever. His joke played on him thinking she said "bustier". 

It was a weak joke, no doubt. But to have SJWs trying to cancel you for it? 

The nastiness level of the heard of SJWs that tried to destroy his spirits paled in comparison to what Dolly Parton likely would have done. IE either laugh or not, but not be fussed about the weak joke. 

I think its a sad world when you remove the freedom of speech from a comedian now forced to look over their shoulders.

Alaska Native Manitou

Yeah, paying an organization called Americans for Indian Opportunity lots of money to "adopt" you sounds so legit.  & it was before the movie was made, too.  

10 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

-Two sides to every story. I think its suspect when things get leaked to tabloids and get secretly taped. You only get one side of the story. Seems rather underhanded to me. 

After seeing the evidence, the judge in the libel case doesn't think so:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2020/11/25/johnny-depp-appeal-libel-ruling-blocked-ordered-pay-840-000/6427001002/

I’d just like to say two things here: 

First, and this should be obvious, “cancel culture” is not doing any harm to Johnny Depp. What you’re seeing is normal scandal fallout, same as it’s ever been, and god knows in five years he’ll creep back into mainstream culture, just like Louis CK and a long line of men behind them. 

Or he won’t, and he will have only been an incredibly successful and highly paid actor for a few dozen years of his life. You don’t have to go to bat for Depp or any other prominent person who is having a bad moment in the limelight - they are already so much better off and have gotten so many lucky breaks their way that arguing they’re being held TOO accountable for their actions is ludicrous on its face.

Second, what, specifically, does everyone here think cancel culture is? How does it differ from free speech? Because, and forgive me if I misunderstand, freedom of speech is the freedom to say whatever you want, up to and including, “I think this person is terrible and I urge you to not support them.” People are free to say whatever they want, and other people are free to condemn them for what they said. If you say something that makes a large number of people mad, you don’t get to then say, “Hey, I have the freedom to say whatever I want even if you don’t like it, so you can’t just say I’m a bad person?”

Some people in this thread have invoked 1984, a novel having to do with the government convincing its people of the existence of enemies within and without, who were actively working to destroy everything the people held dear, and one which established a concept called “doublethink”. I encourage you to reread the text and think critically about the situation described in the book.

Good luck to all of us.

6 hours ago, Epic Tetus said:

“I think this person is terrible and I urge you to not support them.”

Cancel culture, is when people are grasping at straws to cancel someone. 

IE People banishing comedians for jokes that offended them. 

Kevin Hart made a gay joke years ago, and people tried to cancel him a decade later. 

People have tried to cancel dead people. They are dead! 

The destruction of statues of prior politicians or historical figures, because they did things that offend you generations ago. 

You know, VS open a dialogue. 

The freedom gets blurred when you cross the line of stating they are pieces of crap people, and taking action to attempt to upend their careers over it. 

I see it like in my grade 9 class. A girl had a crush on me. I didn't like her back. 

She tells the gym teacher I groped her breast. 

I get berated by the teacher, and am assumed as guilty. I am humiliated because she is this "innocent girl".  How dare I attempt to remove her innocence!

My pleading my innocence is irrelevant. 

Am black, so as good as guilty. I could feel the disgust of others, and I literally did nothing to deserve it. These are allegations. 

I mercifully had two girls who were nearby who pleaded for me as they saw everything unfold. I never even touched her. Not even accidentally. 

Sure, she is free to slander my name, but to me that is not what freedom of speech is. There are laws in place for a reason. 

The punishment should fit the crime, I can agree with. Me making a joke they didn't get, isn't befitting a mob doxxing and canceling me. 

But for someone to get unfairly canceled, and then being told they're rich anyway, takes away from just the very freedoms you state that they have. 

Ironically what you're describing, is how you snuff such freedoms and silence voices because they're not aligned with your own. 

There is a word for that, and it definitely isn't freedom. 

30 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

There is a word for that, and it definitely isn't freedom. 

It starts with an F and ends with an M though

Archived