Gender Neutral Friendships

auntjessie

Does anyone else (as an ace) ever find that they can naturally go back and forth between hanging out with girls and guys? Meaning, I can hang with the girls and easily fall into conversation (except the sex talk) and when I'm with more guys I can do the same. Is that just being easy-going or have other aces found that they can bounce back and forth from one gender to the other without it seeming weird. I don't know. I was thinking on this the other day when I remembered that back in elementary school I got along great with both guys and girls and was able to hang out with either crowd at any given time and it continued well into adulthood. I've hung out with only girls and I've hung out with only guys. 

I don't think I've ever had a problem before, either.
I mean, I'm shy around strangers, but that means dudes and chicks equally. When it comes to friends, I never had a preference.

I think most people have friends of various genders. Some may have "locker room buddies" if in, say, a sports club. Maybe meet up with a group of one gender occasionally, but also hang out in mixed groups. 

Purple Red Panda

Ever since I was a teenager I've always had close female friends, my best friend is a woman and we share a house together. To what extent (if any) my sexuality has played a part in this I'm not sure. I've always felt a bit uncomfortable in very masculine spaces but again I don't know if this is due to my sexuality or just not feeling paticularly masculine myself.

Janus the Fox

I think I could converse with males and females in the same way if the opportunity or want is there.  I’d rather keep to myself otherwise.  I am of no gender personally though.

I talk to both of them the same but females I don't relate to very much I find ...

Thanks for all your replies. As I am a newly "outed" ace I am trying to make sense of some of my experiences. Really appreciate the support and positively that comes from this forum.

Love you all!

Archived