Scientific researches on asexuality/aromanticism

Duckduckgoose

Duckduckgoose

Hi everyone! I hope you all are staying safe and well in these trying times.

I've been thinking about telling my mom about asexuality (not coming out yet, since I'm still questioning, but you know, just preparing her for the future :) ), and she's a hard-core science type of woman. She reads a lot of books on evolutionary biology and psychology, and believes that science can explain almost everything except space-stuff--and so do I.

So I was wondering if there are any researches about asexuality/aromanticism that explain that it isn't just a "phase," that it is indeed the way some people are wired?

I know there's a lot of debate about biological research on the origin/"cause" (as if it can be cured or fixed...) of non-heterosexual sexualities, and I totally understand where the concern is coming from. However, I feel that if people are going to say "this is how some people are, they are born this way and cannot change" there must be some scientific explanation for why that is? For example, there's the argument that non-heterosexual sexualities are possible under evolutionary biology (which is seen by the steady percentage of non-heterosexual and thus "counterproductive" sexualities across all cultures as well as in the animal kingdom) because it is less about reproduction and more about social factors. If I am wrong or hurtful, please do let me know, I sincerely apologize if I have hurt anyone. I simply want to learn! 

Thank you very much, have a good day!

There's probably something in here. I don't think this list is exhaustive, and not sure when it was last updated, but there's a lot there.

I heard about some research that said some male sheep are asexual. Maybe that would be something?

Janus the Fox

Moved to Visibility and Education Projects

Janus DarkFox

Questions about Asexuality, Asexual Musings and Rantings & Open Mic Moderator

Archived