I got FOUR free men's shirts!!

Dawning

A lady in a Facebook gifting group that I'm part of was giving away a group of men's shirts (all long-sleeved button downs). The top one in the photo was black pinstripe, and I had a definite gendered reaction to that, and the desire to have it. I couldn't really tell what the other shirts were, but they turned out to be a solid black, which is a necessary basic, a faded denim shirt, which is something I'd wanted because it has a masculine vibe, and best of all, a navy blue bandanna print shirt, that has at least a mildly retro look, and will allow me to finally achieve that retro blue-collar presentation that I've been wanting… as soon as I get some white T-shirts. I was just astounded at this gift!! All of these shirts are in pristine condition, and the right size to fit over my big boobs if I want to button them up; it's absolutely mind-boggling that they just fell into my lap like that, it's like the perfect starter kit! 

With all the stress and anxiety and upset that everyone is going through because of the coronavirus pandemic, I thought I'd take the opportunity to share something good and positive that had happened. Has anyone else gotten any clothes recently that really floated their boat?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thumbs-up, you guys! Sorry that no one else has been getting any new clothes, with so many stores shut down I guess. Does anyone have any input they'd like to give on evolving one's presentation, maybe? :-)

Hey there- I just wanted to say, though I didn't get it recently, my first masculine shirt I got is somewhat sentimental for me. Basically, when my friend came out as agender, I took them shopping and used peer-pressure to get them to get a certain shirt, so I let them pick one for me and I actually loved what they picked. I hadn't yet figured out I was non-binary (but I would soon after because I would look into gender stuff to try to better understand my friend) so I was surprised by how happy such a silly shirt made me. It's white and covered in grey sharks and green palm leaves. It's a bit strange, and it takes a while for people to realize there's sharks on it. It's always funny when they finally realize. It's got to be one of my favorites and since then I've collected a few more men's shirts, especially hand-me-downs from my boyfriend.

Would you believe I'm looking at a mama raccoon and 3 babies hanging out in my patio right now as I'm writing this, LOL? Thank you for letting me know that someone besides me has that emotional attachment to clothing! I have a shirt with sharks also, although mine is just sharks on a navy shirt rather than a Hawaiian shirt. Getting some male stuff feels… kind of like a rite of passage.

• 2 weeks later...

@Dawning Great to hear your story, I can really hear your excitement regarding the shirts. It sounds like you are figuring out a lot about yourself 😉

I may have mentioned this in the past. 90% of my clothes are grey. I have no idea why. I don't seem to have any emotion at all to colours for clothing. I know it's crazy isn't it???

I love shoes though. I buy them all the time. I have far too many. These I do buy in different colours???? It's seriously hard to figure me out??? 🙄

DuranDuranfan
9 hours ago, Marlow1 said:

@Dawning Great to hear your story, I can really hear your excitement regarding the shirts. It sounds like you are figuring out a lot about yourself 😉

I may have mentioned this in the past. 90% of my clothes are grey. I have no idea why. I don't seem to have any emotion at all to colours for clothing. I know it's crazy isn't it???

I love shoes though. I buy them all the time. I have far too many. These I do buy in different colours???? It's seriously hard to figure me out??? 🙄

Maybe it happens to be your favourite colour even if you’re not consciously aware of it?

🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m the same when it comes to blue. I have a lot of blue in my wardrobe.

On 7/4/2020 at 1:35 PM, Marlow1 said:

You're right, it HAS been exciting! And it fascinates me that there have been things that could make me feel this way that I never bothered with before because… it just never occurred to me! Knowing that there's more to gender than just the binary makes all the difference in the world, and it can only be a good thing realizing after all these years that I DO have some little flickers of gender. And, I like the idea that I'm developing an actual STYLE, rather than just wearing basic jeans and a cute T-shirt and boring but comfortable shoes.

Having 90% gray clothing is a brilliant strategy for dressing yourself; even if you get dressed in the dark, you literally CAN'T make a mistake, in other words can't make an outfit that doesn't work. It's a simple and unflashy way to dress in what western society would see as a masculine fashion. Nothing wrong with that!

It's always amazed me how some people just go crazy over shoes; until just recently, I never bought shoes, and had been wearing the same comfortable, styleless, genderless shoes that I'd gotten 2 decades ago... I so help me God didn't buy any shoes for 20 years! Then, my desire for a retro blue-collar presentation led me to Converse All-Stars, and I now have FOUR pairs!

When you say that you get shoes in different colors, do you mean different neutral colors, or are you getting something like brightly colored sneakers… er, trainers? There's something very intriguing about the idea of someone wearing all gray clothing but with a rainbow of different shoes! 

I think it's good to be a complex and unusual person, so you keep right on buying and wearing whatever floats your boat!  😎

ôÿē èîęēú ïė ēôēįîûôø
On 6/8/2020 at 5:08 AM, Dawning said:

Has anyone else gotten any clothes recently that really floated their boat?

Yes, I have, in fact. So, it all began when I started following Republic Services on LinkedIn. I saw posts of people thanking their local Republic Services trash truck drivers with big "thank you" signs on their trash cans. I had an idea to do the same, for both my trash and recycling collectors. I made a sign for both of them, and my mom gave each of them a lunch box, an insulated drink holder, a mask, and a bag of jelly beans. In return, my local trash collector gave me a Republic Services vest, a Republic Services hat, a pair of Ritz Radical shades, and a Republic Services belt buckle. I wear the vest, hat, and shades regularly, though I haven't yet worn the belt buckle, as it doesn't fit any of my current belts (I plan to wear it eventually, though).

On 7/12/2020 at 7:33 PM, The Angel of Eternity said:

Yes, I have, in fact. So, it all began when I started following Republic Services on LinkedIn. I saw posts of people thanking their local Republic Services trash truck drivers with big "thank you" signs on their trash cans. I had an idea to do the same, for both my trash and recycling collectors. I made a sign for both of them, and my mom gave each of them a lunch box, an insulated drink holder, a mask, and a bag of jelly beans. In return, my local trash collector gave me a Republic Services vest, a Republic Services hat, a pair of Ritz Radical shades, and a Republic Services belt buckle. I wear the vest, hat, and shades regularly, though I haven't yet worn the belt buckle, as it doesn't fit any of my current belts (I plan to wear it eventually, though).

I love the idea of putting thank-you on the trash cans, that's brilliant that people have been doing that! And that was so sweet what you and your mom did to make the drivers feel extra-appreciated! It sounds like you got some really neat things in return, and I bet you look very cool in them!

Archived